THR 80 year old mom hip replacement, slow recovery

That is a great sign! Your mom’s progress has been a bit slower than some but that is fine. We all progress at our own rate depending on many, many things. The important thing is that she has been making progress. Now that she is home and comfortable in her own surroundings, I think she will progress at a bit faster rate. She’s going to be anxious to get back her independence although I agree with Layla that maybe she enjoys having her children around more. I’m so happy for her and for you as well as you really gave this recovery everything you had. You’ve done a fantastic job and your mom has as well.
 
Yes, @Canucklady I agree with GrannyC.
You've been a devoted daughter and caregiver, even to the detriment of your
own health early on. The love you have for your mom is evident. She's lucky to have you.
I hope you have a peaceful week! :flwrysmile:
 
Well @Canucklady, I think that is amazing news. She's walking sooner than I am. Wonderful. Did she really she was walking without her walker? I guess that's an absolutely good sign. Layla is right, you don't know what sort of cartwheels she is doing on her own. She'll be waltzing down the hallway soon! Great news. :wowspring:
 
Hi @Canucklady
Wondering what your mom is up to this week.
Hopefully she's doing well and still progressing.
I'll bet she's enjoying her time with your brother.
Hope your week is going well too. Give us an update when you're able.
Love hearing of her progress.
 
It has been a quiet week. Uneventful is good. New symptom.....burning heels....PT told her to put feet up with pillow

Only issue is getting in/out of bed. That seems like huge challenge atm
 
Try resting her heels on a bit of sheepskin.....seems to spread the pressure. The other thing is to raise the calves a bit so that the heels don't touch the bed, but I worry a bit about cutting off circulation in the calves with that
 
Hi @Canucklady
Sounds like things are going well, it's great to hear.
I'd suggest you keep practicing the getting in and out of bed with mom. Like anything else, she'll get
the hang of it and it will become easier. Try the leg lifter if she doesn't already have one.
She'll get there.
Hope your weekend is good!
 
Well mom shocked my brother today. After her nap this afternoon, she got up out of bed on her own. She scared him by just appearing in kitchen.

She wanted to surprise him. Almost gave him a heart attack. :)
 
Sounds like she's progressing quite nicely (and holding back a few surprises)! I'm guessing her attitude towards the surgery and her mood have improved as well.
 
Lol last thing you need is another member of the family in hospital :heehee: Good for her, she's showing her independence, hope her recovery just gallops from now on :yay:
 
Hi @Canucklady
Hahaha! I'll your mom did give your brother a scare.
He probably thought he was seeing things for a second :heehee:
Your mom seems to be improving all the time. Great news.
Have a nice weekend!
 
2 months post op for my mom. It has been roller coaster of emotions and challenges. I have learned to take things one day at a time and to have patience. The body really does heal if you let it.
Last night my mom surprised me yet again. All of a sudden she was able to get in/out of bed on her own. I asked her how she got in bed and she shrugs and says I just did.
Nice surprise on this sunny Sunday.
For those that are discouraged have patience. My mom 80 years old has amazed me on her recovery. If she can do it, others can as well.
 
:goodpost: Great update @Canucklady ! Wonderful way to start the day.
Slowly but surely your mom is doing it....Yay! You've been such a constant in her recovery. I can't imagine
she'd be as far without your devotion and dedication to her. My 81 yr old mom will soon have her second THR.
I'm very curious to see how she'll do after following your mom's journey. Thanks for sharing.
We've enjoyed walking alongside you as she's healing. Keep us posted. Next week it will be this > :dancy: :spin:
 
@Layla hope your mom's recovery is smooth. Just two weeks ago mom wasn't walking as much as she is now. Time does heal wounds. Just have to remember to be patient
 
Thanks @Canucklady I appreciate that! It's a great reminder too...
 
First morning alone for my mom yesterday, while we get back to work. Luckily I am able to work from home half days. Her balance is pretty good. Still pain at night, but she is taking less pain meds.
 
Sounds like she is doing very well. Seems like some pain can linger, especially as we start using muscles that we haven’t. Glad your lives are returning to sense of normalcy.
 
Hi @Canucklady
Your mom just keeps on surprising us. Great progress she's making.
Has to make you're heart feel lighter. I know it was difficult for you all
at first but the sun is shining again! :SUNsmile: :yes:
Thanks for sharing. Hope your week is great!
 
Good news @Canucklady .....so glad your mum is now forging ahead in her recovery. You have been so supportive of her, you must both be very proud of yourselves! I hope she continues to get better and better :flwrysmile:
 
Things are progressing. Mom is getting in and out of bed on her own. We ordered one of those fall detection devices in case (hopefully she will never need it)

Only issue right now is she has inner thigh/groin pain on operated leg. Is that something I should be concerned about?
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom