THR 80 year old mom hip replacement, slow recovery

This is wonderful news @Canucklady
I'm happy for you and mom! It must be such a relief for you to see her finally making strides. One can't help but wonder if the sheer frustration of feeling stagnant motivated her.

It must feel like a weight slowly lifting off your shoulders as you've been so devoted.
I hope you continue to receive help from family and have a little breathing space of your own.

This is finally sounding hopeful. I pray your mom continues to improve....please keep us posted.
A peaceful weekend to you!
 
@Canucklady Great news on your mom's progress! I suggest that you use the same techniques that we use on our children, praise, encourage, rinse and repeat. She is making progress at her own pace, which is wonderful. My mom took a long time to recover after her knee surgery. At your mom's age, it is amazing that she is walking after the surgery. Good thoughts and hugs to you:loveshwr:
 
So glad to hear that your mom is doing so much better @Canucklady. All of this is very good news. Getting out of bed is a bit of a chore, but from the way she's moving now, she'll be doing it on her own soon. And then you will be trying to hold her back. I think she's found her freedom. It is very hard at 80 (+ on my part) to think about giving up your freedom. Good luck to you both for continued success.
 
Your mom is making great progress. If she walked to the bathroom alone, at least she knows she can do it. Many of us (myself included) could not get out of bed on our own at first. In fact I couldn’t move my leg at all for a few days. I needed help for a short time and then I managed to use a fabric sling type thing to move my leg on my own. I’ve forgotten now how long it was before I could actually get out of bed with some sort of aid but it was at least several weeks.

The main thing here is that your mom IS making progress. It may be tiny steps at a time but she is moving ahead. If you look back to the first days after surgery, you can see how far she has come. Once she can go home, she will keep needing less and less help so there is light st the end of the tunnel. Sending healing thoughts your way for you and for your mom.
 
Hi @Canucklady
I hope that you and mom slept well last night and things are looking up.

As her daughter all you can do is mete out equal amounts of compassion, encouragement, love and patience.
She's only days out of major surgery. Gently remind her of that and the confidence you have in her.

As the devoted daughter it appears you are, please take care of yourself in all of this as it may prove
physically and emotionally exhausting for you as well.

Hope today looks brighter.
Hugs to both of you :console2:

I think we all forget this is MAJOR surgery. We push ourselves to be back to normal too soon. We need to rest and heal.
 
Thanks for the update @Canucklady. While she may be sore, it’s really kind of awesome she did enough to over do it, if you can follow my logic. Come a long way from not being able to do anything.
 
Such wonderful news that your mom continues to improve @Canucklady
If they aren't providing ice for her, consider bringing her some frozen gel packs in
a small cooler. Ice works wonders especially when we over do.
Letting her rest is wise. I'd hate to see her get discouraged at this point. She's doing so well!
Hugs and best wishes for a great week!
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/ice-to-control-pain-and-swelling.5493/
 
@Canucklady - Patience seems necessary in your mom's recovery. You have done a fantastic job! We support your efforts and will continue to give advice and emotional support. Your mom's condition seems to have improved for which we are all grateful. Please keep up the good work. Good luck!
 
Glad your mum is still progressing, even with the small setback......my mum always used to see you need to make mistakes in order to learn from them. Hope a good rest will get her back on track, and that she continues to go forward
 
In my preoccupation on my mom's recovery I have been ignoring my own nagging knee pain. Well last night my knee locked on me. And now can barely walk. My physiotherapist gave me huge lecture about listening to body etc etc. She braced knee and feeling better. But cannot assist mom today in any of her excercises. Reminder to caregivers:. Take care of yourselves as well sooner rather then later

Now my mom is walking faster than I am
 
Now my mom is walking faster than I am
You are right, so many caregivers do not take care of them selves, ending up sick, or worse. Sounds like your Mom is far enough along you can spend some time taking care of you!
Our recommendation for Rest, Ice, and Elevation applies to your knee too.
Just in case your knee is limiting your life here is a Score chart: how bad is my arthritic hip/knee .
Wishing both you and your Mom a healing day,
 
Good morning @Canucklady
I'm so sorry! You've been through so much with your mom over the last month.
Actually, I'm sure longer as her hip deteriorated. Now this...

You've been such a devoted caregiver and I'm sure stress and fatigue could be playing
a part in your knee acting up. I'll bet your mom will be further motivated in her recovery by seeing
you're now in pain.

As women we want to reinforce any weak links in the chain....which temporarily may be you.
I'll bet when mom realizes you're struggling she'll push herself in order to take undue stress off of you.
As your mom.. she's intuitive enough to know this has been a painfully emotional time for you and she may just show her love, care and appreciation through determination / progress in an effort to lighten the physical and emotional burden you've so lovingly carried.

Prayers for you both. I have faith there are brighter days on the horizon :console2:
 
PTL :yes!:
Yippy Skippy :yay:
Yay :happydance:
Hip Hip Hooray :egypdance:
Things ARE looking up....what a glorious day! :yahoo:
I'm so happy for both of you :ok:
@Canucklady
 
great news @Canucklady :happydance: hopefully this will take some of the pressure off you and you can start thinking about your own needs :yes: Hope your mum settles in well
 
Great news! @Canucklady
She'll get used to the grabber as she practices and gets stronger.
You'll really notice her making strides now, which will serve as motivation.
I'll bet by the time she hits four weeks you'll be amazed by her progress.
So wonderful to hear....please keep in touch.
A great rest of the week to you!


@Canucklady
 
Good news @Canucklady. The grabbers can be a little tricky at first but they are great once you get used to them. Improvement can seem slow at times, but she has come really far. Agree with Layla, you will be amazed at her continued progress. Your update gives me a bright start to my day.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom