THR 80 year old mom hip replacement, slow recovery

I think we all have that fear of falling and/or breaking something but it rarely happens. I was a bit skeptical to step on the operated leg at first, too, because I wasn't sure if it would work or how it would feel. However, it all went much better than anticipated. I think your mom will gain a bit more confidence with each step she takes. She does need to move a bit each day and I'm sure the nurses and everyone else are encouraging her to do that. One step at a time and one day at a time. Soon it will all work out ok.

Glad she’s walked a bit. Hopefully they’ll know how to give her some confidence and help at rehab. Thinking of you!

Glad she walked a bit more today. While she doesn’t like going to rehab, perhaps that can help her motivation to move so she can get home sooner. Prayers for you.

Hi @Canucklady
What great news to read first thing this morning!

Your mom is obviously feeling a bit more confident as she takes baby steps toward recovery.
The rehab she's agreed to will help her gain even more confidence.
I'm sure they'll have a gentle, loving way of encouraging her and she'll make great progress.
Once she begins to feel a sense of accomplishment, she'll be on her way.

Please keep us posted as she progresses through recovery.
I hope this is a peaceful and relaxing weekend for both you and mom.

Feeling discouraged today. Still waiting to get moved to rehab unit. The nurse tonight was very negative and discouraged me even me. She said she has never thinks it will be long road to recovery, if ever. My mom didn't need to hear that

What a complete jerk that nurse is. She has no idea how things will go. Many 80 year old and older recover quite nicely. It may take your mom a bit longer than a 40 year old, but she can certainly recover and be mobile. I certainly hope she has better nurses at rehab. Try not to be discouraged @Canucklady.

Hi @Canucklady
I'm sorry to hear the news of the day. If it would make you feel better, consider talking to the head nurse
about the conversation expressing your concerns about the negative comments. I would also have a conversation with the insensitive nurse, if you're able, telling her you do not want her speaking any negativity while in your mom's room.

Please don't lose hope. This can turn around. I'm sure you're tired, worried and frustrated. I hope you have family or friends who are able to relieve you. I worry that you will burn out without some relief. You seem hopelessly devoted to your mom and she's blessed to have you. But please take care of yourself in all of this so you are able to continue to walk into the room with a smile on your face, unending love in your heart and a sense of hopefulness.

Your mom is keenly aware of your feelings. Please stay strong.
Prayers for restorative rest, strength, comfort and peace of mind.
Hugs to you both!

Last edited:
What a dreadful thing for that nurse to say. I’d certainly be talking to her superior. That can be very damaging :blackcloud:

Hi @Canucklady
Wondering how your mom is doing...
Hopefully things have settled a bit the past couple days and your mom has moved to re-hab.
Please update us if you care to share.
Prayers things start looking up and this week brings some progress.

Little progress. Still waiting for rehabilitation spot. In meantime she is in hospital.

2 weeks post op, very discouraged

sorry to hear that things aren't progressing well Canucklady....not everyone recuperates at the same pace, so ignore the negativity and tell your mum that there are many people round the world cheering her on :yay:

Hi @Canucklady
I'm saddened in reading this news today.
If you haven't already, consider speaking with your mom's doctor in regard
to some meds (temporarily) if you're mom is depressed. She may not be,
but I'm assuming in her fear, frustration and lack of progress her emotions and mood
must be taking a hit. It could be a temporary bridge to lead her back to a better place.

I'm hoping with the move to re-hab she is blessed with a group who can motivate her by lovingly
coming alongside her and convincing her "she can do this."
Prayers for all as you continue to soldier through. Please keep us posted.

Oh no! I hope she can get to rehab soon! Thinking of you both.

Hi @Canucklady ....just popping by to say I hope your mum is improving. You're probably really busy but don't forget the forum is here if you need to get things off your chest. Take care

Hello again @Canucklady and Mom, I have been away for 10 or so days and lost track of you two. Only 2 weeks post op! I know you are tired but stay strong for your mom because with a nurse like that one she will need all the encouragement she can get. I hope you can muster some extra strength to speak to someone about a nurse who discourages patients. That's very unfortunate.
Please pass on to your mom my wishes for better days ahead. I am the 82 year old who is 7 weeks post op and walking on the cane still. It may take me awhile and perhaps I will never get off the cane but I'm going to give it a good try. In our travels this past week we met up with so many elders traveling with the same type of rotator walkers like I have. I use it in the kitchen or when I need to clean or cook or wash clothes; so nice to have both hands free and have a place to store items. So handy. But I walk on the cane most of the time.
Your mom will get at least to this place given time and confidence and I feel sure that she will progress in rehab knowing that you are getting rest and renewal yourself.
Take heart, don't despair. Time will tell a different story. :flwrysmile:

Hi @Canucklady
Lots of us are thinking about you and your mom, wondering how you're doing.
I hope your mom gets in re-hab this week, if she's hasn't already.
Prayers for peace, comfort and restorative rest for you both.
Keep in touch....

No rehab place yet. She is walk longer distance, but not confident enough walking on her own. And getting in and out of bed is challenge. Discouraged is understatement

I'm sorry you're so discouraged. Let's try to rejoice in the small victories.
Your mom is walking longer distances and getting in and out of bed. It's a start and
something to build on. I hope you have help from other family members or loved ones because
it's easy to see how you could get frustrated. Prayers for patience and perseverance.
Thanks for updating, please stay in touch...
@Canucklady

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom