THR 80 year old mom hip replacement, slow recovery

I'm happy for you @Canucklady
You need your rest also, or caring for mom will simply deplete you.
It's heartwarming that in all of your moms struggles she is still caring for you too.
Like mother, like daughter. What a team you two are!
Prayers she can walk a few steps today. We're rooting for you both :yay:
 
Another day another setback. Definitely regretting decision. My mom is afraid to stand and seems to have lost her will to recover. :(
 
Hopefully this is a temporary wall. I think everyone can get days like that, and your mom has been through a lot. Standing the first couple of times is scary. Hopefully they can ease her into it.
 
I think those in the hospital will know how to deal with this. I think it is just a temporary setback. You need to be sure you stay rested so you can be a cheerleader for her. For most of us, lack of sleep brings depression or less than positive thoughts and if you have that same reaction, it will come across to your mom. These are still very early days.
 
Hi @Canucklady
Please don't get discouraged. I'm sure this is difficult and my heart goes out to you and your mom.
I'll bet you're tired, mom's tired and all feels very overwhelming. But please don't lose hope.
This can turn around quicker than you might imagine. I'm going to tag one of our dearest member's
currently. Her name is @zinnia and she's 82. I think you and mom may enjoy her thread. She's been through a lot! She met adversity head on, even feeling hopeless at times. She has come along way, has a healthy determination and she's thriving! Zinnia has learned this journey takes patience, that slow and steady wins the race.

Please read her thread as I believe it will offer both you and your mom hope.
Your mom may find it inspirational. Most of us do.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/hip-replacement-gone-bad.42067/

Don't forget we're here to answer questions (if we're able) and offer love through encouragement and support.
We also have a Nurse Director named Josephine who is very experienced in orthopedics to answer the tough questions, should you have any.

Warm wishes that today is a good day. Hopefully you both slept well last night and today is looking brighter.
Sending a hug :console2:
 
Hello @Canucklady I am the 82 year old Layla referenced for you. I had my third surgery in 2 years, 2 of them revisions on the same hip about 6 weeks ago. I know how frightening the whole process can be especially if you are 80.

It is hard for me to understand your mother's inability to stand after surgery without a bit more information. My understanding is that she could stand before surgery? Is she in uncontrolled pain when she tries? You say she is afraid to try now. So where do you think this fear is coming from?

I am so sorry you and she are going through this trying time. But these things can be addressed with time. I do hope it can be arranged for your mom to go into a rehab situation. That would free you up to get some rest and a handle on how to arrange things once mom comes home where ever that may be.

In the meantime, what does PT do when your mom refuses to try to stand? Clearly she is in need of more assistance, anti-depression meds? Pain control? Some psychological help?

If I could sit on the edge of the bed and speak to her, I would ask what are you afraid of? I understand fully that you are afraid. I was afraid I would still be in pain. That my future would be the same as before surgery. It is a chilling moment to take that first step but when you do and realize things feel differently it gives you the courage to move even further and pretty soon you are walking to the end of the room, and then out the door, and then to the end of the next room and then the hall. And then you learn how to get in and out of bed and the car and pretty soon you are home and on your way to a fine recovery. But you have to put that fear away and try. That's the thing. You must find that brave part of yourself. The part that raised children, a fine daughter for one, and faced the loss of a husband. I did too, lost a husband, so I know that that pain is the worst of all. So you've been through the worst possible pain a person can bear; you can do this. Find that brave soul that is you and take that first step and you'll never look back. Trust me. I know where you are and I know where you've been. You can do this. Do this for yourself. You deserve it.

That is what I would say to her and how much I wish I could. Because I know what it is to be 80 and face this recovery. It is daunting. I know you have the patience of a good daughter to handle this. And I've been there too, as a daughter with a mother in need.

It is not an easy path you are on either. Each of you in each your own way suffer this burden. The thing is it can't be changed. It is what it is. Hopefully you can get some help somehow. I hope some of it will come from your mom's choice to take the steps to assist herself for her own future. As a caregiver, you must take care of yourself to continue being a help to your mom.

I will watch for your updates. I wish you the very best in your situation. I know you both can do this together. Patience is the key, I think. Many hugs to you. And please hug your mom for me. . .hug each other. I think there are brighter days ahead for you both. :flwrysmile:
 
It may be helpful to ask your mom why she is frightened to stand on her new hip. Is it the fear of falling? If so, make sure a nurse or other staff have a transfer belt around her waist and holds her securely. Is she afraid the hip will give out? You can assure her it is very strong and will feel more secure than her damaged hip. If afraid of the pain, she will feel some pain and mostly stiffness that gets better with each step.

Knowledge is a great antidote to fear. Perhaps the staff assisting her can explain step by step how she will stand, how many steps they expect her to take, how they will make sure she won't fall and how they will manage what happens as she takes those first few steps. Placing or pushing a wheelchair behind her may be reassuring as well.
 
I am not a medical professional and this may be a wild goose chase, but have your mom's electrolyte levels been checked? When my mom started to get listless and depressed, we found that she had an electrolyte imbalance, which in her case was low sodium. There was a tremendous improvement once the chemistry was balanced. Not saying that this is an issue, but it is not uncommon for older people, especially if they have not been eating well after surgery. Love and Hugs to both of you. Di
 
Oh I do feel for you. I hope your mum is feeling stronger and more able very soon. :flwrysmile:
 
Oh @Canucklady my heart goes out to you and your mum. Caring for someone is very tiring now matter how much you love them. But I think that the hardest thing is wanting to help, to ease their worry and pain and not being able to. Your mum was right to send you home to get some rest. You need to maintain your strength for both of you.
I hope your mum has a better day tomorrow. Sending you hugs and prayers :flwrysmile:
 
Thank you all for caring. She is afraid of falling and new hip breaking. I convinced her to at least sit up in chair and she did take a few shuffle steps.

I called all friends and family that I can think of. They will call her tomorrow. I am also going to talk to her priest to visit her.

She is going to walk again even if it means I have to quit my job and be at rehab with het
 
Hi @Canucklady
I'm happy to hear the news! It's a start.....baby steps.

What a loving devoted daughter you are.
Your mom will get there. Once she realizes, or is convinced she can do this, she'll be on her way.

Hopefully her pain is well managed and they are providing her with ice.
Please don't allow them to push a lot of PT on her. It may hurt her, stalling her recovery.
She's already frightened and unsure. It would be difficult to see her develop additional pain.
Prayers you both have a peaceful night!
 
I totally understand her fear. I was afraid of falling. I was afraid that if I stepped too hard it would mess it up. Getting her up and moving to chair was good. Confidence will come. Good plan with friends, family and priest.

Let her know she has a group here cheering here on.
 
Hi @Canucklady
Best wishes that today may be a turning point for your mom.
Hopefully phone calls and / or visits from loved ones will serve as motivation.
I'll bet today is a good day! Please keep us posted....
 
That is great progress @Canucklady . Calls and visits from friends are the best medicine. You are a good daughter to even consider quitting your job to help her. Take care of yourself so that you do not resent your mom later. And it is OK if you feel down about this. Our moms are our treasure but all of us need some "me time".
 
Wonderful news!
My heart goes out to you @Canucklady You are living this daily....it has to be difficult facing each new day with uncertainty. I'll bet your patience wears thin at times and I'd imagine you're tired, frustrated and concerned. You are a devoted daughter and I'm sure you will be blessed for your unwavering dedication to your mom.

This is a great start and it is progress from yesterday.
Your mom sat longer today and is willing to commit to something. Let's hope she gains
confidence during the specialized re-hab session and wants to build on it.
Best wishes that today brings your mom a sense of fulfillment and you a feeling of hope!
Prayers for all :prayer:
 
Good progress @Canucklady. That is major progress for her. She is lucky to have a daughter like you for support. Please try to take care of yourself. I know when we are caregivers, we can forget about ourselves.
 
It’s certainly sounding more positive! Yay. What’s your Mums name?
 
Hi @Canucklady
Hopefully today finds you and your mom well rested and feeling more optimistic.
Wondering how her rehab session went yesterday....
With any luck it offered her assurance that healing will take time and confidence that
with some work and a sense of determination she can move forward...regaining her life.
Wishing you both a great day!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom