TKR 8 Month Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Clipless good report and glad you are recovering after your recent little setback.
Please what are titers? It's not a word I've read before.
The Cubans and guava rolls sound delicious , we don't have those in deepest, darkest Yorkshire.:loveshwr::loveshwr:

Hope you have a good day and the quads start behaving properly.
 
Hi @Clipless. Just to clarify. To strengthen the quad I just pulled the kneecap towards me using my quad muscle concentrating on the muscle on the inner leg right above the kneecap without lifting my leg but with toes turned out. The toes turned out supposedly ensures you're using the correct muscle which is the one that was weak and caused the lag. I repeated this ten times to help strengthen. Then I tried leg lifts.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Clipless good report and glad you are recovering tle setback.
Please what are titers? It's not d I've read before.
The Cubans and guava rolls sound delicious , we don't have those in deepest, darkest Yorkshire.:loveshwr::loveshwr:

Hope you have a good day and the quads start behaving properly.

Titers are blood tests that check a person's immunity to certain diseases. For example, if my titer for rubeola (measles) is above a certain level it means that I am probably safe from catching that disease, and that I don't need re-vaccination. Though re-vaccination is not considered harmful, titer testing is somewhat more cost-effective than unnecessary re-vaccination. My employer is testing everyone because of a spreading measles outbreak.They are also testing me for immunity to mumps, rubella, chicken pox, and hepatitis B.

I hope measles stays out of your country.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh a titer here means a wee laugh

Legin THR Sep 14
 
We had a measles outbreak in South Wales last year because the vaccination rate for children had gone below a critical level and there was a big push to get kids done quickly. Measles is a horrible illness.

How are the quad strengthening exercises going?
 
...

How are the quad strengthening exercises going?

So far today I've done 10x quad contractions (as @shelli22 described) f/b 5x straight leg raises. Then 10 up & down steps on the low step aerobics step I have, and 20 minutes on the exercise bike. Soon I'll go to the gym and see what I can do- hopefully some low weight leg presses then a little pool time. I'm not too keen on re-injuring myself, though if last week's episode was really scar tissue breaking loose then I suppose it had to happen. It may be my imagination but my knee actually feels a little better (more free?) than it did before.

@Legin , your posts always brighten my day! :)

@Minnie's knees , thank you for your good wishes. What a rough time you have had in your own recovery! I hope you feel better every day. When I'm in Texas later this year can we get together for lunch? I would love to meet you, and we can compare scars! ♡♡♡
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Diana - I just read that your son is moving to Bloomington/normal! ISU or State farm? I lived there before Austin - it was entirely tooooo cold for me but nice town/nice people.
 
@TexasTee , Just Domino's Pizza to start, then he has something else lined up. He has completed a few classes in Auto-CAD, and he's a whiz with computers. This boy has caused us more concern over the years because of his Asperger's (high functioning autism), but he's 20 and can do what he wants. He has buddies in Bloomington-Normal to help him get settled. I'll visit in a few months- I've never been to Illinois!
 
Definitely wait until at least May to visit - it's sooooo cold there! But very pretty in the summer. My former inlaws live there still - they love Avanti's and Grady's pizza. OOOOH! If you like chicken wings and beer garden type places the only place I actually miss there is called Schooners - the most amazing wings and onion rings ever and if you're up for it, the largest indoor rock climbing gym in the world is there - I loved that place!
 
Nae probs I have worked a lot with.aspbergers. The key I.used was to find their key. Due to the concentrated attention.span and.retention on the.subject that is of.interest it becomes a high point of.knowladge. The area I worked on.most was personal space and often we used the.arm.length rule. I also would be invlolved in.the initial assesment. The area that took more.time.would often be parents as the autistic label can be.so negative. I used to highlight the.possitive aspects.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Legin , he is actually PDD-NOS. He missed the Asperger's diagnosis because of speech delay - no words until age 2 1/2, then full sentences. But he otherwise has many overlaps with Asperger's Syndrome and that's the term he prefers, for the reasons you stated. He has certain social difficulties, but he knows his core group- the people who "get" him, and they are other gamers and computer guys.
 
@Clipless I would love to meet you and have lunch. I will pm you my e-mail so you can keep in touch. My knee is getting better slowly. Someday it will get where it needs to be.
 
@numbzee I wish you lived closer too. Maybe a mini vacation to Texas is in order this year :heehee: The more knee scars the merrier as long as its only one of my knees this year.
 
@numbzee , I'll be in AZ with my daughter the first week of May! Cottonwood, Jerome, and Sedona to be precise. By any chance are you near one of those towns? (I feel like I asked you this already, but I can't quite remember).
 
Thing is if.you look at the indicators on.the.autistic soectrum most would say.oh.some. of those are me. This humanity.thing is.very complex with an.integral complex make up.of us as individuals. In care I have found the.first thing I use is to forget the labels applied by others. Each and.every oerson should be allowed to.be.as they are yes sometimes we all need help to aid our existance in.society. But many.of the individuals are brilliant genius in.their area of interest we all know about Mozart. Ooooiooooops.rambled again sorry

Legin THR Sep 14
 
So far today I've done 10x quad contractions (as @shelli22 described) f/b 5x straight leg raises. Then 10 up & down steps on the low step aerobics step I have, and 20 minutes on the exercise bike. Soon I'll go to the gym and see what I can do- hopefully some low weight leg presses then a little pool time. I'm not too keen on re-injuring myself, though if last week's episode was really scar tissue breaking loose then I suppose it had to happen. It may be my imagination but my knee actually feels a little better (more free?) than it did before.
Yes, see what works for you. Better to do a bit less than you think you can the first time out now and see how it goes.
 
@kneeper , even just the above exercises (I never went to the gym), plus a few quad contractions while walking, and I got additional swelling. What else could this be? Synovial fluid??
 
I did volunteer trailwork today 0830-1430. I was mostly there to take photos and help supervise the kids, but I felt guilty not doing more and so ended up wielding the hoe-type scraper tool and gathering sticks from a ravine, plus the 0.5 mile hilly hike in & out and carrying my tool and pack--- knee okay aside from slowing me down, but ugggh my shoulders, neck & back!!! :dead: It's time to really focus on improving my fitness and getting back in shape!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom