TKR 8 Month Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Clipless no, it's lots of us. That's where this forum is so helpful. It's easy to be at home in a little bubble of worry but there's always someone on here. I really hope the swelling and discomfort sorts itself out soon. I actually resorted to ice yesterday after the vacuuming incident and that was the first time for about 4 days. I was feeling a bit too confident. Today I walked to the gym, did 20 minutes on bike, bit more walking and a few exercises on machines , short swim( mainly stretching my knee) and walked back but I've been on the sofa for 4 hours since I got back. My backside must be getting enormous after all this sitting about!
 
Right on cue Sedgewick Corp. (the leave management folks) called to ask when I'm going back to work. After I explained my recent setback the guy was actually very nice- he said I can have a leave "extension" if necessary. I don't know how I'll feel on Thursday, or what my OS will say, but I'm relieved that I can get more time if I really need it. This recovery business is indeed difficult. @SuperSnapper you are doing more than me- I'm afraid to push it right now. And I am DEFINITELY gaining (..weight, not wisdom)!!!
 
Ok

I'm doing better, thanks! Yesterday was my most ambitious hike yet- under 3 miles but a lot of ups & downs, including many deep stairsteps down to a waterfall and back out. We decided to return via what looked like a shortcut, but wasn't. More steep ups & downs, scary edges, and we surprised a coyote. Then, when we thought we were almost done, another long "staircase" down a ravine, across a bridge, and up the other side. And one last stair climb back to the cars. Whew!

I took one extra-strength Tylenol before the hike, and was exhausted afterwards, but my TKR knee felt surprisingly good! I can only conclude that it enjoyed all the extra bending. Also, thank goodness for trekking poles.

When you walk, does your knee make a clicking or clunking sensation? My quads are really weak, too.
 
When you walk, does your knee make a clicking or clunking sensation? My quads are really weak, too.

Not usually, but it has done that off & on, especially when very swollen or irritated. Is this what you notice, too? I figure the swollen tissues press on the implant and cause the click, but I'm not really sure. An equal concern is the occasional forward buckle, but it's happening less frequently (knock on wood!).
 
Muscles get stronger buckle gets.lesser ugh ugh oooooooooops I.was. in caveman mode. Yes this journey can.be. well not smooth. Sometimes we have a.puncture or two. But you are doing grand

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Clipless I've experienced the odd forward buckle too but as quads get stronger, they get less. I'm sure yours will too.
Hope you feel better today. The one step forward and two back feeling is horrible but you'll get there. At least you know you can take more time off work, that has to be a help.
 
@Clipless I saw my doctor today and scheduled my 2nd one....I mentioned the clicking and he replied that it's nothing to be concerned about, it's just that I have a machine inside of me. He said my quad strength was weak before the surgery because I was in pain. He said it will come back in about a year.
 
@ MotownGirl66 , Thank you for sharing your surgeon's comments- it makes me feel better! I'll ask my OS some of the same questions anyway when I see him tomorrow so I can hear it from the horse's mouth, so to speak. :fasthorse:

Good Luck with your upcoming other TKR. I want to wait another year or so, just because I need a break from all this Recovering. My other knee actually hurts a lot, has an untreated torn meniscus, and needs to be replaced. But it works. I'll try to nurse it along for a while longer.
 
Hi Clipless. I had the same issue with straight leg lift so OA sent me to physio with instructions for her to mobilise patella. When I saw the physio she massaged my knee and checked, mobilised patella movement. Then she sent me home to concentrate on sir with legs out and using my quad muscle on inner thigh near patella to lift (pull) my patella towards me while turning my toes outwards (to ensure I'm using that the correct part of my quad). This I did for a few days. Now. When doing a straight leg lift I have no lag. ). This may not be the issue you're having but it helped me which is why I commented. Perhaps a physio appt may help to figure out correct exercise to do?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Grrr not sir sorry sitting. Text editor again lol


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I want to wait another year or so, just because I need a break from all this Recovering. My other knee actually hurts a lot, has an untreated torn meniscus, and needs to be replaced. But it works. I'll try to nurse it along for a while longer.

OH MY GOODNESS! You could be me! I, too, have a torn meniscus and I saw my OS back in December and begged him to fix it but he said there's nothing left to fix, that I need to schedule the 2nd replacement. I said I would think about it. So today my appt. was to schedule it. I, too, am intimidated by this stupid, lengthy, painful recovery. It is such an interruption in our lives, isn't it? I am nursing mine along too, but it has begun to affect my new knee.
 
I've got a right knee that is a pain too. Surgeon said I might get a couple of years out of it and I agree with you @MotownGirl66 . This surgery does take a long time out of normal life and I don't want to do it again until I have to. I have cysts in the bone and the knee lets me down occasionally but I'm not rushing into anything
 
So.nae speeding tickets issued today

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi Clipless. I had the same issue with straight leg lift so OA sent me to physio with instructions for her to mobilise patella. When I saw the physio she massaged my knee and checked, mobilised patella movement. Then she sent me home to concentrate on sir with legs out and using my quad muscle on inner thigh near patella to lift (pull) my patella towards me while turning my toes outwards (to ensure I'm using that the correct part of my quad). This I did for a few days. Now. When doing a straight leg lift I have no lag. ). This may not be the issue you're having but it helped me which is why I commented. Perhaps a physio appt may help to figure out correct exercise to do?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

It sounds like you had a wonderful PT. I struggled with this issue at PT repeatedly but my therapist never suggested turning my foot out, and every time I did the leg raises with my toes pointed upwards I'd get sharp pains from under the patella followed by swelling and stiffness for days. Last week it happened again while exercising on my own, and the pain and swelling lasted six days! I tried a few leg raises with toes out as you described- it did seem a bit easier and less laggy, but I'm not sure. At least it didn't hurt. I'm being a little cautious, though, and not pulling my quad very hard right now. So, you had extension lag prior to doing leg lifts this way and now the lag is gone?? Sign me up!!!
 
I clunk more the right leg than the left and it occurs less as the day goes on...told it is nothing to worry about unless it is painful and often goes away as everything gets stronger and tighter..

Vinny
 
Update 3 months post op: I saw my OS's PA today for xrays and a re-check. Everything's fine- I'm just a slowpoke at healing. ROM = 0/110°, and a persistent 10° lag. I explained about the occasional buckling and last week's incident (sharp pain upon quad contraction followed by swelling & stiffness). My knee finally started loosening up sometime yesterday, but there's still edema from several inches above the joint extending to about half-way down the tibia. No redness or heat, just moderate swelling. PA examined my knee and said I probably "broke loose some scar tissue", which caused inflammation. He ordered a 2.5 week extension to my current medical leave, no problem.

I walked across the street to the hospital where I work and said hello to a few folks, including one of the bosses. Our Employee Health nurse is wonderful, but she took the opportunity of my presence to send me down to the lab for a bunch of immunity titers. California is experiencing a measles outbreak stemming from one unvaccinated Disneyland visitor who infected many others. I may be at risk because my last MMR vaccine was long ago. I would have been quite happy with an MMR shot today, but Employee Health insists on titers first, then callbacks. Ahh, whatever!

Knee felt decent for my tour around the hosptal, but I still have a slight limp. I'm to use my extra time off strengthening my quads. Sounds fair.

On the way home I stopped at a fabulous Cuban deli/bakery for cubanos and guava rolls- YUM! All in all it was a good day, and now I'm tired. I hope everyone is feeling great today!
 
@Clipless sorry about your recent stepback. But a great 3 month report overall. Glad you are able to extend your return to wirk fir a couple more weeks. Hopefully, your knee will feel up to it by then. I still have a slight limp and use my cane when walking longer distances and on hard surfaces like in our parking garage and pedway in/ out of work. Just take care of yourself!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom