TKR 7 yrs out bilateral tkr

Hi, Pansy! I'm sorry you are feeling pain again. When you have pain during PT or in the 2 days following PT, that is your knee saying: TOO MUCH.

The fastest way to get rid of pain and increase flexibility is to do almost nothing, and ice/rest/elevate. Swelling from the surgeries has your knees feeling tight, and resting is the best way to let those poor stressed out knees relax and get better.

For some puzzling reason, lots of physical therapists want to push hard--but that is the worst thing to do to a knee that is trying to heal. Perhaps you can tell your PT that you believe you need to heal, and want to take it very slow and easy. Sending good wishes to you
 
Today had been better I did my exercises but only until I felt slight discomfort... I tried to walk every hour and I elevated and iced.. I also tired to keep up with meds all day .. I was super tired this am and napped alot. I'm sore but not horrible... This taking it slow is hard... I know it's what I need to do but I want to be back to normal now and I know that's not realistic... A nice hot shower felt good this afternoon.. I am starting to worry that I'm not going to be where I need to be in 6 weeks when I'm supposed to go back to work... That scares me.. I just read so many people and the rom is so much better than mine.. I am still going slow... And my boss had tkr last year but had only one done so she compared me to her.. She was like I barely took pain meds I was up waking the halls and all over the place the next day... So here I am with bilateral tkr and was on morphine in the hospital bc I was in so much pain... And im still on meds like every 4-6 hrs during the day I can get by with 1 pill but at night it's every 4 hrs and is the max dose.. It's percocet with oxycodone in between... And I still hurt... Guess I'm just venting bc im worried..

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
@Pansy727 don't compare your recovery to anyone else. Chances are you're going to have two different recoveries. DO NOT feel badly that you're taking pain meds. I was still taking them at week 4 and I only had one knee done. By staying ahead of the pain (taking meds on schedule), resting and elevating you'll be back to normal quicker than if you over do it. Keeping the swelling down will help you achieve a better ROM. For my first month I only went to PT, iced and rested. My family took care of the house, laundry, food etc. When you're not used to be down and out, it's very hard, but totally worth it in the long run. It WILL get better!
 
Thank you... I guess it's not me comparing as much as I know my boss will... And she's the type to think I'm just a baby.. For one thing I'm young and so they think I'm supposed to bounce back.. But like my surgeon said.. You are young but you had old arthritic knees... I think some depression is sneaking in...

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
The blues will come, but you're still very early in this journey, so sit back, take a pill :elevate: and don't worry about what you have no control over (your knees!). Hope you get some sleep tonight! Also, your dr. will be able to write a script for your continued absence or ability to work. Don't think about your recovery in days, think about it in weeks. What were you doing and how were you feeling this time last week? A week from now, things will be a bit different and a bit different in two weeks.
 
You are right a week ago I couldn't even pick up my left leg...

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
Hi, Pansy-
It is typical to take 12 weeks to heal enough to return to work after btkr. You might be ready in 6 weeks, but that's twice as early . . . Is there a way you could take off more time if you need to? Your doc should back you up--it's a medical reality, not really up to your boss to decide where you are with your healing!

Your use of pain meds is typical and totally expected/reasonable for having had major orthopedic surgery a few short weeks ago. You are right where you should be, and @KarriB's right that resting up and taking the meds you need will get you there the quickest.

It take time and patience to recover from this, but week by week it will be better. Keep relying on your pals here for moral support. We know what you are going through!
 
Oh they will have to let me off with Dr's note.. I'm just scared... And im trying to be patient..

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
It does require a lot of patience, but it does get better. Your knees will give you very clear information about what you are ready to do, and how much rest, ice, and pain meds you need. Just because you need it today doesn't mean you always will. This is a time to be gentle and patient with yourself. There's no way to rush it. It will get better, according to its own schedule.
 
I'm finding that out they definitely talk back and tell you what they need

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
And you're right in the window for the darkness of post-surgical blues to sink in. Expect it. Know it's going to happen. Warn your loved ones, and know it will pass.
 
Hi there--I agree with @PolarBear60! The blues is definitely part of this experience. There are up and down days. Come to this site and we will support you! And yes, see if you can get a hug from your loved ones. You are going through a lot. There will be days when you feel happy or proud, and days when you just feel down and need a hug. Be kind to yourself and you will get through it!
 
Any suggestions on comfort at night.. My left knee hurts so bad at night I just can't get comfortable

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
I've made them aware of the struggles and when I need to cry I just cry.. It's been tough.. Plus I normally have my grandson alot who is a very rambunctious 4 yr old and I haven't been able to have him bc of pain limited mobility and meds.. But he's coming to see me Tuesday.. I can't wait

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
Nighttime is my hardest time, but doing a lot better since I started taking Tylenol PM. I take 1000 mg of that plus 2 percocet AND a Robaxin. Then after a couple of hours it finally kicks in and I can sleep for 2 hour increments. When I wake up, I just need to reposition and then I fall right back to sleep. Lotsa meds, but I have got to get some sleep.
 
Be sure you are taking enough meds, Pansy. It's too soon to get off them. Nighttime is when the pain comes, so take meds before you go to sleep. Also, if you work too hard in PT, night is when your knees will complain the loudest, so maybe ease up on the exercise till your knees are healed a bit more. You could ice right before turning in, too . . . and maybe have a crumpled up blanket under your knees to support them a bit. Not rolled up or folded because that's too bumpy, but sort of like a nest, could give your legs a little support. When I sleep on my side, I have a soft blanket as a sort of cushion protecting one knee from the other and it helps.

I think you got advice from some wise soul recently to stay on top of your meds by day so the pain does not build at night. Try that for a day or 2 and see it it helps?
 
I'm going to do that tomorrow.. I may be letting up to quick during the day... I do the blanket thing already... I found that was the most comfortable.... They just scream at night particularly the left one

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
Good morning, Pansy, anything above a "whisper" of complaint from your knees should be a sign for meds, rest, and ice. They should not be screaming--that indicates you are not taking enough meds. You don't need to be afraid of the pain meds. Take constipation medicine because they cause constipation. But otherwise, take the meds when you need them--you will not get hooked, you will not get a problem with being over-dependent. As your knees heal and become less painful, you will naturally take less pain medication. So please do not make yourself suffer as you are healing. You have definitely had way more than your fair share of pain and suffering. I hope the rest of your recovery is gentle and almost no pain.

Another thing to think about: when you are in pain (from lack of meds), you naturally tighten up . . . what you want is healing and less swelling and less tightness. So ice, and take those meds. People seem to take them for up to a few months--then taper off when they are not needed, with no problem. It is just 2 weeks since your surgery. You will have plenty of time to be off the meds later--but not yet.
 
@Pansy727 Just dropped in to see how you are doing. I drink tonic water for leg cramps, but my 90year old mother swears by wine bottle corks under the bottom sheet! She used to get them regularly, now not at all. I would rather try more scientific methods, and a local chemist recommended vitamin D tablets and tonic water, and it seems to have worked. I am doing about as well as you, but with only one new knee. I am however struggling with a bladder problem, which does not show up as an infection on a urine test, so is a bit of a mystery. It is causing a lot of lost sleep with trips to the loo in the night.
 
Back
Top Bottom