TKR 7 yrs out bilateral tkr

Wonderful!! Go you!!!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
 
@Pansey727 So happy for you that your are home...finally. You sound like you are in much better spirits! Enjoy your time at home Pansey!! :) :)
 
I'm doing well it's amazing how much strength I've gained in that left knee in just a few days. But I ice it well and keep yp with my meds... By last night at bedtime I was very tired and needed more help so I asked for it.. But being able to sleep on my side is amazing...

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
@Pansey727 I am so very happy for you Pansey!! That very brave person who had two knee replacements at the same time!! Wishing you continues success in your recovery!! :) :) :)
 
Great to hear this, Pansy. Delightful to hear you are happy to be home and feeling more comfortable. :yay:
 
OK I can do really good all day.. Pain not that bad etc.. But nights . Totally different.. Is this normal??

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
Yes, it is normal. Are you waking up to take your pain meds during the night? Are you icing and elevating? Also, what if any PT/exercises are you doing?

I find that my level of activity matters a LOT in terms of nighttime pain. My PT guy asked a lot of me on Saturday. Now it's Monday morning, and I've had 2 rough nights because of it -- this tells me I did way too much in PT.

For whatever reason, lots of us have more pain at night. Perhaps plan to take the max dose of pain meds just as you are turning in, and ice up your knees really well before you sleep. I wake up every 4-6 hours naturally with pain, and take more pain meds. You can ice in the nighttime, too . . . I just find it hard to stumble to the kitchen for more ice when so tired.

I've started a slow taper off my meds, but I will NOT be touching the nighttime doses for several weeks. Those are so important, because we need our sleep, and often the knees complain loudest at night. Best wishes to you, Pansy.
 
Yes I have an alarm at at night to take the meds... During the day I dont need them as much.. Today will be my first pt since i have gotten home... I didn't come home till late Friday... But I've been doing my exercises a minimum of twice a day

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
Please be sure to tell your PT person that you are having significant nighttime pain and that you therefore want to take the PT easy till that is resolved. Also, try to avoid letting the PT person bend your knees with her/his hands. My PT grabbed my knee to test flex, and it hurt so so much, and hurt for days after. I learned to ask him not to do that, but it would have been great to avoid in the first place.

Do you find that the dose you take works well during the day and not at night? If that is the case, perhaps ask someone like @Josephine for advice?
 
OK I can do really good all day.. Pain not that bad etc.. But nights . Totally different.. Is this normal??

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
Absolutely. I usually take a pain pill around 12 or 1 a.m.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
 
yeah, if they put hands on you at all it should be very gentle and not pushing.
 
Yes I have an alarm at at night to take the meds... During the day I dont need them as much
You need to consider this as a 24hr regime not just day or night. If you take the meds regularly throughout the 24hrs, then the build-up will serve you at night as well. Did you read the recovery articles left you in post #18, especially this one The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart

Perhaps I can help with the routine if you will tell me what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?
 
@Josephine I am on oxycontin twice a day.. Then percocet 5/325 every 4 hrs as needed for breakthrough pain and oxycodone 5 mg the same

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
And today was just assessment.. Wed I start pt.. Right knee is at 80 degrees left is 68 degrees.. Left is much weaker.. I have been doing my exercises and I can tell it and I ice alot with my polar ice machine.. Selling actually looks good

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
Here are pics.. The first is before surgery and the second is yesterday.. 9 days post op on left and 11 days post op on right
[Bonesmart.org] 7 yrs out bilateral tkr

[Bonesmart.org] 7 yrs out bilateral tkr


Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
Well all I've done today is sleep. The exhaustion was real... I couldn't hold my eyes open

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top Bottom