My husband's nerve damage occurred three and a half years ago. We have been to neurologists who said there is some femoral nerve damage but it's "not severe." Camper, I do feel that at this point he has more nerve function than you did early on. He can do leg raises and almost all the exercises his physical therapist gives him except for walking very far- he says the pulling sensation stops him and doesn't improve the more he walks - and walking up stairs. He still cannot do stairs without a handrail, he really needs two handrails. The pulling, for him, starts higher up, in the quad.
The knee surgery itself was very successful. He has recovered well from that. I'm thinking that a healthy knee is now making demands on muscles that are not working right and/or haven't been called on to perform in a long time. Nevertheless, I feel it is time to address this quad issue, even it means returning to the surgeon for his advice on what to do next. My husband has an excellent physical therapist who is aware of this pulling problem and says regardless of the cause, he needs to strengthen the muscles.
I'm glad that your recovery, although it had taken a detour, is progressing. You seem to have a good attitude even with the nerve block complication. (With my husband's history, they opted not to do one since he already had the nerve damage.) We both wish you well and will give you updates, especially if they could benefit others in any way. Best regards.