TKR 6 mos: Great knee, bad quad

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Anne27 My knee makes a clicking sound now and then. It doesn't worry me because I believe it will eventually stop doing that once, as you said, all the surrounding tissues are healed and have fully grown into whatever voids there may be. I read somewhere on this forum that it often goes away or becomes less noticeable. I suppose there is a chance the clicking will be permanent but this early in the healing process it's just too common to worry about it, IMO.

What you said about your husband usually being outgoing and optimistic tells me he will be okay. He sounds like a nice guy dealing with a scary and painful situation. What he's dealing with right now, the healing process, must feel never-ending. But it will end and he will be so glad he's had this done. I can tell you that I am starting to see the improvement and I can't wait to be able to do the active things I'd been missing when my left knee held me back. But during the first weeks of this recovery I wondered if I'd made a huge mistake by having had this surgery. Lots of people go through those times of doubting. He will get back to the happy person you miss. Even though you may not be able to tell, I'll bet he's extremely grateful for you. At some point he'll probably tell you that. This difficult process has brought my husband and me closer than ever - an unexpected bonus! Take it one day at a time --- both of you.
 
@sunny Island Hi, when did you notice the clicking? I'm 2 1/2 weeks out and I hear it sometimes. Not a big deal but there.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I didn't really hear clicking but I could feel it with the first knee. Luckily I was reassured here on Bonesmart and sure enough it gradually went away. I only occasionally get that sensation now and I don't think twice about it.

What sometimes helps us get through the long recovery is to be able to look back at where we were a few weeks ago and realize we have made progress since then. That's something I'm sure you're helping your husband see. Sometimes the helpers notice the progress more than we do.
 
@kneeper. I keep a journal and write everything in there. It helps to go back and look at what I wrote and felt on a certain day.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Anne, your loveliness shines through, even on the Internet.
 
@Jane B. Thank you! Your kind words mean a great deal to me. Best wishes for continued progress in your recovery.
 
@appaloosa girl When did I first notice the clicking, you ask. I'm not sure but I don't think it was early. It seems to me it's been a recent development, some time after the first six weeks, I think.
 
@Anne27 you are very welcome. Things are going to get better for your husband. All of a sudden he will start to notice he feels better. The positive will also come back too.
You have an awesome day!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@sunny-island Yes! I went out to dinner with my friends. My son was at home to help my husband if needed. Thanks so much for asking!
 
@Anne27 Hey, that's great. I can hear a happy note in your voice! I wish you were closer to me; I'd take you out for coffee every day! But, NY is too much of a drive from FL... Have a great day today, Anne.

Jean
 
Re clicking, my left knee started making a racket just this summer, quite a few months after that PKR. My newest PKR clicks once in a while. My left knee had sounded like a forest fire for years anyway.

My OS's PA shrugged his shoulders when asked about this and said, 'you know, you've got hardware in there, now' and added if it doesn't hurt, don't worry about it. It doesn't so I don't.

There's an article in the Library about this, if memory serves. And if you do a search on noisy knees or similar you'll find this has happened to a lot of folks.

I can put my fingers on the left knee and flex it a few times and feel the plastic spacer doing its thing. Weird.
 
@jeano Thanks for your "clicking" story! I've told my husband what the PA told you. Thanks, too, for the mention of the Library. I had never explored that area of the site and found the "clicking" article which I read to my husband. Very reassuring!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Anne27 How are you and your husband doing? He's about 5 weeks post-op now. I was still taking my pain meds by the clock at that point. Everyone is different but I hope his recovery has smoothed out a bit.
 
@sunny-island Yes! Yesterday he began his sixth week post-op. He, too, is still taking his pain meds but continues to have pain which he describes to therapists as a 2 or 3 when not moving around and a 5 or 6 when walking. His pain control has not been that good,,,but once again, when pain is described numerically it's very subjective. The general consensus is that he is doing quite well. He will see his OS (well, the PA) and have xrays taken next Wednesday - 6 week visit. We've had lots of beautiful days and I walk about half a block and back with him, but all he talks about as we walk is what's hurting and what sounds or movements the knee is making. He's always focused on the knee, the pain, the feelings in the quad, etc...rarely converses about anything else. How are you doing?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Anne, it's a very odd and slightly uncomfortable feeling having an "other" joint in your body. I don't consider myself squeamish, but I get a weird feeling when I rub my leg and feel the edge of the replacement.

I imagine that time will help with us incorporate the new with the old.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom