TKR 6 mos: Great knee, bad quad

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Anne27 When you go to your appt next week ask for the x-rays on CD. My sugeon's PA was happy to do that for me. It's fascinating to see the metal in the knee. They gave me two views. Not exactly Christmas card material but it could make an interesting screen saver. I emailed it to my kids who were suitably impressed. Ya know, I don't know what it is about pain control and this surgery but I don't think I've had any totally painfree days yet. You get used to a level you consider acceptable but long-term this would not be acceptable. Since it IS getting better I have to assume it will eventually be gone completely. All in all, for me at the 3 month point, I'm doing well. But when I was at 6 weeks it was a different story. I just looked back in my knee log...there was still a lot of pain, my appetite was lagging, I was starting to have a bit more stamina and we went for a walk on the beach (where I overdid it, but enjoyed it anyway). I guess I do understand his being so focused on his knee. Maybe he needs some kind of goal, something to look forward to or plan for. I say that because I've been focused on a trip we have in about a month (to Hawaii). We talk about it all the time. The Knee does factor into it but it's not front and center! Your role in this is so difficult. The people who support us during this long recovery deserve recognition. My husband has been amazing but I know it's been hard.
 
I haven't been amazing at all. If our family hadn't been dealing with my husband's reaction to his decreased mobility for two and a half years, I'd be doing better now. He has worn us down - it's just me and my son. He refuses to plan for anything like a future trip because, as he puts it, "I don't know how I'm going to be." So, I wish he'd been different, too...like some of the people who post here about their pain, their setbacks...yet I still detect something hopeful and positive in many of them. @sunny-island How wonderful to have a trip to Hawaii to look forward to! I'm smiling for you as I type this.
 
Gosh, this sounds so stressful to say the least. My first P/T, I felt was sadistic and uncompassionate. She pushed with all her might down on my knee with both hands, on my unhealed incision. I cried and didn't know what what to think since this was new to me as well. She claimed she had 21 years of experience and knew what she was doing, but I just felt that putting all your weight and then massaging my still red and swollen incision did seem right, as I was writhing in pain. Hesitantly, I requested a different P/T and I am so glad I did.

This new one hardly touches me and has only gently physically pushed me with heel slides. She instructs me what to do and I am in control of my pain/strain. She has given me two gentle massages and only recently started to lift and stretch my leg, but she stops if I'm in too much pain. I am improving slightly and slowly. Please try to be assertive and proactive as I am trying too also. Keep calling your doctor /nurse to make sure your husband and the p/t are on the right path. Prayers and good wishes to you and your husband.

p.s. I do at home P/T 3x/week and try to some exercises on days she doesn't come.
 
@Anne27 I've been thinking about you and I wonder if you might be able to get away for a while, even a weekend away with friends would be good. Am I off base here? An advantage of an anonymous forum such as this is the ability to openly vent. It's better than no outlet at all but it's probably not enough. Have you thought of asking Josephine what she would suggest? Maybe your husband could use a few therapy sessions to help him deal with his worries. You shouldn't have to shoulder this by yourself. Several people have talked about having the blues during their recoveries. They might have ideas to help.

As I read about what you're trying to deal with it reminds me of one of my sisters. She's had a difficult couple of years and is driving the rest of us crazy! At first we (the three other sisters) were sympathetic and offered all manner of help. She was sometimes grateful, would sometimes listen, but as time went by she became morose and angry. None of us were qualified or able to help her and we told her that. She did seek help (well, her husband sought help for her) but she resisted being helped. To be honest, we all felt she enjoyed the negativity of it all. As I said, none of us are in the health field and so we might be wrong but she was so self absorbed and self-focused... She just wore us down. When I see her number on caller ID I don't always answer. Unfeeling? I don't know. It's hard to be trying to help and to have all help rejected, over and over again. As hard as it's been I don't live with her day in and day out.

Even tho your husband has had a life-changing operation and even tho it takes time to get back to normal, he will get back to normal. He doesn't need to leave a trail of bodies in the dust behind him... (too much drama? Yep, most likely. Oh well. My apologies.)
 
I'm sorry your husband will not seem to accept the progress he's making. I know I was a bit "all knee, all the time" for the first 6 weeks or so, but at least I could see that I was making progress.
 
@Anne27 - I'm seven weeks out from surgery myself, and The Knee is still, yes, something that I'm very much aware of! (A friend asked me this morning if it had it's own Facebook page yet. I replied it was enough of an attention you-know-what, it didn't need any extra encouragement.) It clicks, and feels weird, but I have to remind myself that is doesn't hurt. I mean, it's still sore, but it's not even close to the bone-on-bone pain I had been living with for years.

Living with constant pain... is hard. And it can be very hard to let go of the "I can't do XYZ" mind frame that goes along with it. It was strange, thinking that it might possibly be OK that things could get easier, and I found myself hanging on tight to the idea that I might never be better. I spent a fair amount of time sitting in the shower, crying and wondering what the heck I had done to myself. I had to -allow- feeling better to happen, and I wish I could tell you what flicked the switch for me. One morning I woke up and just felt... different. And in a good way.

Hang in there. He will get better, and it will get easier.
 
all he talks about as we walk is what's hurting and what sounds or movements the knee is making. He's always focused on the knee, the pain, the feelings in the quad, etc...rarely converses about anything else.

Hi Anne,
You're doing a great job helping your husband!

It's 6 weeks since I had my left TKR and I must confess that at this stage everything is still about THE KNEE, so I can understand how your husband feels. It's such a major operation and recovery and you do seem to focus on how everything you do will affect the knee. (Can I go to the movies? Will my knee be comfortable? What if someone knocks it? etc)

There will come a time when our first and constant thoughts are not about the knee, but this does take some time. I can't remember when I stopped thinking constantly about my right TKR, but it did happen.

Hang in there - and don't forget that you need to do things for yourself as well. Carers need R&R!
 
@Celle My husband's TKR was six weeks ago as well. Yes, you are exactly right about the conversations he has with himself...lots of "what if's." He begins outpatient physical therapy next week. Hope his therapist (whom he knows well and has worked with before) will have some good things to say after the evaluation.

Yes, I try to keep busy and maintain contact with my friends. I find crocheting to be very relaxing.

Thank you!
 
At about 5 1/2 weeks my husband is starting to walk in the house without using the cane. (He wouldn't do this outside yet.) His therapist also encourages him to walk backwards from time to time without the cane and he is able to do that, although he says it feels very strange. He can finally stop his Coumadin in two more days. Hooray! I also booked a two-night stay for us in PA (2 hour drive - will make several stops) for weekend of Dec. 13th. He is, of course, fearful, and says things like "I hope I can do it" but then it will be almost three months post-op and I think, based on what I see and what therapists have told us, that he will be able. @sunny-island There's our goal! Nothing like Hawaii, but small steps, literally!
 
@Anne27 Sounds like your hubby is doing good, just needs to realize it! He will be fine on the trip. Pack some icepacks just in case and stop and have him walk every once in a while. Happy Halloween!
[Bonesmart.org] 6 mos: Great knee, bad quad
 
At 9 weeks post LTKR my husband is doing well, not using the cane at all. Still has pain although not as severe...also some lower back pain. His new PT (my husband started as an outpatient last week when home care ended) is impressed with his progress to this point. Of course, there is one new cloud on our horizon. From all the double-duty walking I've been doing I have tendonitis (probably Achilles), need an MRI tomorrow to rule out tears, and my foot is in a cast. Since this came on gradually and I can walk, I'm hoping there are no tears... but I could still just cry.
 
@Anne27 Glad your husband is doing good. I have tendonitis in both my ankles, I've had one injected . I was in one of those awful 'moon boot' things and it made it worse so I took it off and just wrapped my ankle with an ace bandage. That seemed to have helped the most. Now when I have flare ups I just wrap them. Hope you get relief for yours!
 
@tiredwife That's amazing! I, too, have had ankle problems and I find that the more things I put on my foot, the more problems I have. That goes for even inserts and orthotics. Less is better for me, too. Today I am not wearing the cast but have just wrapped my ankle in the Ace bandage and it feels better. Thanks so much for the reassurance.
 
@Anne27 You are welcome. I also have it in both wrist and just wear a wrist brace when it acts up. I don't think the shot in my ankle did much good. If it gets really bad I soak in a hot bath, and that seems to help!
 
Well, my husband is at three months post LTKR and doing well EXCEPT for the lower back pain which comes on whenever he walks. Therapist says it is muscle fatigue that will go away. (Doctor's original prescription was for knee and back strengthening exercises. ) My husband is due to see surgeon this week and will ask about this. Anyone still haver lower back pain at three months out?

He also still has some swelling in the lower calf. Anything he can due to reduce this other than ice and elevation?
 
Glad to hear your husband is doing well with his TKR at three months.
His back pain may or may not be connected with his TKR. His surgeon should be able to determine what is going on, or he may refer you to MD who specializes in back problems either an OS or a Physiatrist.

Some type of compression sock may help with his calf swelling, you can find them at your local drug store.
 
Hi! Haven't heard from you for a while and I haven't been posting here myself. To answer your question, just from my own experience of course. I had pain in my hip area (right back really). My doc took x-rays and found nothing. It was likely a result of overcompensating with my right side/leg because of the tkr on the left. He gave me a cortisone shot for the inflammation. It took a few days to really help it did help. I'm at about 4.5 months post-op now. Not at 100% but doing great. The only challenges for me are stairs and sometimes bike riding. Is your husband off the strong pain meds? Some people still need them at three months. I did, at times.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom