THR 6 months post-op, still can’t walk unaided without limp'

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Krista
When you add up all you've been through both physically AND mentally, it's no wonder you're exhausted! Sometimes I think the mental exhaustion is much more taxing on one than the physical exhaustion. You're such a trooper! Once you're getting that much needed oxygen, I'm sure you'll be better able to handle the rest of your issues much easier. God bless!
 
Krista,
Glad you have some answers about your apnea. I also like the ApneaBoard. I am impressed with how quickly your sleep Dr got back to you and how soon you have a follow up sleep study. The titration they do will give you a good place to start with your treatment. With the excellent service you are receiving I think your transition will be less stressful. The biggest challenge for me was the first durable medical company I dealt with, I did not like the lady and took the CPAP back. I finally bought my own APAP, gave myself permission to take the mask off any time. First night I lasted all of 20 minutes, after 7 days I was wearing it for 8+ hours. I have used both Respronics, and Resmed Auto machines. The Resmed Auto for Her seems to work best for me. Don't worry about the mask, they are used to people going through several types before settling on one that works.
Getting some sleep will help your hip, you will go from this :bored: to :sleep: .
 
Oh, Pumpkin, how nice to hear about your experience and how it has worked for you. I actually don't have the date for the second sleep study yet, just an appointment to get my results and to get fitted for a mask. But I am sure the second overnight will be scheduled very soon afterwards. I do think a hard part will be finding a good Durable Medical Equipment company and a good rep. I've read that they can vary enormously in what they charge for equipment, even in the same area. I am looking hard at the ResMed brand. I plan on getting one that can be flexible in providing CPAP, APAP and whatever else is available, so that you aren't stuck with the wrong machine. Thanks for the reassurance about it being ok to try different kinds of masks.
 
I think you are wise to concentrate on the success stories. I am hoping that you will soon be sharing your own.

In the meantime, I will be praying that you get some restful sleep which will make the going forward a little easier.
 
The type of machine they give you will depend on the type of apneas you have. For most people with OSA, you might want to ask for this ResMed machine, AirSense™ 10 AutoSet For Her CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier, with your sleep doctor writing a script for this exact machine. It can be set on APAP or CPAP, it will record your events, and you can monitor progress with the Sleepyhead software available on the apnea board.
Good luck, hope you have all of this settled before your next surgery, you will feel better with better sleep. Most hospitals will let you bring in your own CPAP machine, be sure to ask during pre op.
 
@Katiedid2, appreciating your good wishes! It should help very much!

Pumpkin, that is exactly the machine I have been seriously considering! And the software, too. All of this new knowledge will keep my brain sharp. If I have figured this all out and am successful with the machine before my surgery, I will definitely be asking about bringing it to the hospital. For my THR, I was in for 4 days, and I slept about 1 hour each day. Anything has got to be an improvement on that!
 
Oh my heck @Krista, I never could have imagined all the intricacies involved with getting set up with the equipment you need. Added to everything else you're dealing with, it's got to be extremely exhausting mentally! I'm so sorry you're having to deal with so much.
 
@Cynthia777, I'm happy to have too many choices rather than not enough, like the old days. In the end it will be great, I'm sure! Just a lot at one time. So glad that I am retired, though.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Cynthia777, I see by your thread that you have had good news, so celebrating for you tonight! Cracking open a bottle of wine...✻ I got my sleep study results, and they show mild obstructive apnea during all stages of sleep, except for REM sleep, where it is severe. I am recommended for a CPAP/APAP machine. Tried out full face masks, nasal masks and nasal pillows with a CPAP when I went for the fitting. I loved the feeling of how the air blows down into your lungs with the airway open all the way. Wanted to take their machine home with me! Will go next week for the second study when I use the machine all night and they try different pressures to see what works best for me. Getting some questions answered on the apnea board, and I feel confident that this will be very helpful to me. I am so tired of feeling fatigued all the time. I may hear tomorrow about my date for surgery. It will probably be months away, but that will give me time to learn how to best use the CPAP.
 
What wonderful news! I'm so happy you're going to have this all figured out before your surgery. It should make things so much more manageable! Hugs!
 
Glad you are on your way to receiving an APAP. You will sleep much better once you get used to the machine.
 
Wednesday, @Cynthia777. I will have all the same wires hooked up to me again, just no CO2 monitor. Think I will be starting with a nasal mask and then moving to a full face mask. I might be hearing tomorrow about my surgery scheduling, and it might not be until the middle of August. :sad: If so, I'll really have time to get used to CPAP/APAP. There is a CPAP-user on the apnea board who is going to have a hip replacement soon and is asking about CPAP after surgery and concerns about anesthesia. He/she wants the experience to be "as boring as possible." Don't know if I should burst his bubble or not. If it's one thing that THR is not, it's boring!
 
You got that right, boring it's not! August will come soon enough and will give you time to get used to your machine. I'm so happy you've found the thread on the apnea, as I'm sure it is of great help. You hang in there and take one day at a time (I'm so good at giving advice. Not so good at heeding it)! :heehee:
 
@Krista you will feel so much better after you use the cpap. I have one and had it when I had my hip replacement last year. You just take it to the hospital with you. They will ask you to bring it! I have the resmed and use a pilairo pillow mask. I have had good results but like others have said you will try several masks and find one that works best for you. My problem was dropping oxygen levels. My husband has one too and he uses a full mask. We look like astronauts when we go to sleep lol, but feel so much better. Glad to answer any questions and hope this finds you feeling better.
 
@sunbunny, thank you so much for your offer to answer questions. At this point, I don't know enough to ask many questions, but I am sure they will be coming as I get deeper into this. I am quite looking forward to being a hosehead!

@Cynthia777, :SUNsmile:!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom