Guest viewing is limited

THR 6 months post-op, still can’t walk unaided without limp'

Status
Not open for further replies.
OH my heck @Krista I just can't imagine anyone getting ANY sleep while hooked up to all those wires! Well, at least the study is behind you. Let's hope you can get this resolved before your surgery. xoxoxo

Edited: Thanks @Zelda for letting me know that I tagged you instead of Krista! I think this is the second time I've mixed your names up!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Krista
Glad your sleep study is over & will be thankful when you get the results! Hopefully, there may be some part of the report that will give you hints about better sleep, but I don't know.
Thanks for sharing the "all wired up" photo. :tiredwheel: Being so "wired" tires you out in itself, doesn't it?
Take care of yourself & have a great week!
SweetPea69
 
Ha ha, Pumpkin, and the photo was taken before I had even laid down! How horrible for you about the dust and your asthma being triggered. That would have done me in. My room was very clean, not dusty, but I couldn't open the window, and we always sleep with an open window at night (except in the dead of winter), and the room felt warmish and close. I wanted my nice cool breeze. I ache all over now, and am going to take something as I feel terrible.

The technician says that just because she didn't see the need for the CPAP trial, that doesn't mean that the doctor won't. I could have another study ordered with CPAP. Just have to wait and see. Since I have been practicing sleeping on my back, it has actually gotten better. Still wake up a number of times every night though, and I only infrequently woke up pre-THR. Will be very interested in the results.
 
Zelda is my alter ego on my WII, she always does beats me. :shrug:
Krista, How did you hip do with the sleep study?
 
@SweetPea69, yes, being "wired" burns you out! When she was removing everything, it really hurt, think "rip off the band aid!" When I had 24 staples removed from my hip, I didn't feel a thing.

@Zelda, it is quite the compliment getting confused with you!

Pumpkin, my THR was last July. My glutes on the surgical side are always sore, due to having a tear in the gluteus medius. Don't know if that is responsible for all the pain I feel. The pain doesn't change much, and was as usual during the sleep study. Looking forward to curling up with my memory foam mattress topper and all of my delightfully plump pillows.
 
@Krista Sorry for my delay but Hooray! that the sleep study is over! And the picture of you with all the wires! Wow! You look so calm, though! I hope they find something to help once all the test are back. I am fighting a miserable cold right now passed down by family members and have had a string of sleepless nights on top of my already lack of sleep! So, last night my hubby gave me some of that Nitetime/Niquel (sp?) cold medicine to take to see if that would help. I can't remember the last time I had that but it knocked me right out - the whole night! Although I awoke a bit groggy, it was the first full night sleep I had in months!

I guess no news yet on your new surgery date? Hope this happens soon for you!:flwrysmile:
 
@keepmovin, no worries about delays in replying. We comment when we can! Yes, I was calm, but I was also exhausted, so that helps with the calmness. So glad you got that full night's sleep with the nighttime cold medicine. My daughter swears by the stuff and convinced me to use it when I had a sinusitis/throat sickness that made me MIA for the month of February, and only went away with a heavy-duty antibiotic (the kind they use on the plague!). I hate antibiotics and only used them because I was just getting sicker after 3 weeks, not better. I used the daytime cold medicine in addition to the nighttime stuff, and they helped so much with the mucus secretions that made everything so much worse. Now I will always use the nighttime stuff when I have a cold. Sleep is so important, especially when we are physically compromised. Hope you get many more full nights of sleep now!

No date for surgery yet. I'll call again tomorrow.
 
@Krista hope you are catching up with your rest after the test.? You really would think that could come up with a better test? My son had to do his first test during the day, because they were so overbooked.
When you call for your appointment tomorrow tell them, you are in so much pain, you'd like them to hurry up.
I really hope you get the news you are waiting for. :flwrysmile:
 
@Krista I just read your thread from start to finish. What a difficult journey you have been on. I sure hope that you can get a date for your surgery soon and then begin the road to a real recovery.

As I recall, way back near the beginning of this thread, you mentioned hiking and backpacking, two of my favorite things to do. Let's hope that we will both returning to them in the coming months. I will be following your story and pulling for you!

Oh, and by the way, those rhubarb pies, Be-Bop-A-Re-Bop Rhubarb Pie! They look devine. My husband says our rhubarb is ready to pick (and we've got about 6 plants). I wonder if he's up to making a pie. :)

And now, may you have a good night's sleep!
 
Yes, @Simplieme, I am catching up, thanks. Lots of sleep last night and no frustrating dreams. How in the world could your son have a sleep study done during the day? Did he have to try to not sleep the night before? I am shaking my head!

I will try to impress upon them how much I want this surgery. New problem today, not with hip, but with my crutch arm. Walked lots today at a mall, and I always use the crutch when out. And tonight my left arm is a mess from the elbow down - a combination of soreness, tingling, numbness. I am sure it is from the crutch-walking. Lately it's been hurting a lot at night, and I thought it was from sleeping on it while on my side. Maybe it is a combination of both. It's always something. Took some pain medication.

@Katiedid2, how sweet of you to read my thread and giving me such nice support! I don't think I'll be up to the backpacking this year, unfortunately. My husband's vacation is from mid-August to Labor Day, and I know I won't be ready by then. Don't even have a surgery date yet. He'll have to go without me for the second year in a row. Maybe our daughter will go with him again. I do love being in the wilderness, being a part of those fantastic landscapes, moving under my own power, appreciating all of the animals and plants. I hope I will be taking shorter day-hikes in my area, though. May you get back out there sooner than me! Oh, and I had forgotten about that "commercial" on Prairie Home Companion! Fun!
 
@Krista yes he stayed up all the night before. He was diagnosed with sleep apnea and had the cpap machine. He's been signed off from all that now after losing about 120lb

Is the pain in your arm like tennis elbow???? I got that (from using a hole punch too much) just before my first round of hip surgery, when I was due to be six weeks non weight bearing. I went to my Dr and got a cortisone shot in my elbow - that fixed it straight away.
 
@Krista - just wanted to say how sad that you are denied walking out in the wonderful wild outdoors. It is clearly your passion, and let's face it a simple pleasure, and I am so sad that you cannot get sorted out just yet.
You are such a great supporter of everyone on here so it only seems right your dream will be realised. :angel:
Fingers crossed your prayers will be answered soon and you are released from captivity :friends:
 
Got a call from the sleep center today, they have the test results and I DO have sleep apnea. I knew it, but glad to have it confirmed. I go on Tuesday to review all the test results and get fitted for a mask. Then I'll schedule another overnight sleep study and do it with the machine this time. I've been researching this online, found a really good forum called Apnea Board, did some reading there, and I am completely overwhelmed at how complicated it all is. Glad I am finding out about things before I am committed to any one kind of equipment. I want to make educated decision.

@Simplieme, how great for your son that he lost all that weight and doesn't have the apnea problem now! How awful, though, that he had to stay up all night for the daytime study. No, the arm pain is not like tennis elbow. It's more of an overall aching of the muscles in my forearm, and numbness and tingling in my forearm and hand. Better today, but still feeling the numbness, tingling and some pain in my hand. The sooner I have this surgery the better, as I am falling apart while waiting! Put a call in today and will ask for more explanation about why the scheduling is taking so long.

@Miss Muffet, I am sure it will all be taken care of eventually. It's all of this uncertainty that's so hard. I just got to the end of my patience this morning. Slowly, the patience is returning. Thanks for your sympathetic words. The good news about the out-of-doors is that we have many thousands of native Illinois prairie and savanna plants in our front and back yards, and different species are always in bloom throughout the whole summer. So I have lovely sights in my own yards, right now hundreds of pink wild geraniums and thousands of golden alexanders are in bloom. It could be worse. I will be walking in the natural areas again soon enough!
 
Wow @Krista, I'm sure happy you found this out now before your exploratory surgery! Now your recovery should be a lot easier once you have the apnea under control. We all need to listen to our gut instincts more than we do. You "knew it" and you were right. Keep us posted. Hugs!
 
Lovin' your hugs, @cynthia! I have done lots more reading on the apnea forum, and I was feeling so overwhelmed at the complexity of CPAP/APAP these days. The machines are just so complicated with so many variables. So I stopped reading the threads about all the problems people are having and am concentrating on the thread about success stories, and I feel a bit better now. Apparently it can take months and months to get used to the mask, and trying various types and sizes of masks, and getting all the settings on device right for yourself. It looks like I'll have that time, but I have taken on so many big challenges lately and done so much mental work that I don't know if I can master another thing. I am so exhausted, probably from lack of any decent sleep, although some of it may be from the pain/disability I have now, too. For a little while I was thinking that I managed to make it through a THR with sleeping sitting up for 6 weeks, and I can do it again, and maybe I won't do anything about the apnea. But my fatigue constantly reminds me that if I can do anything to make it go away, it would be worth the effort. I'll see on Tuesday how bad the apnea is, and that will help point the way forward. So tired.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom