THR 6 months post-op, still can’t walk unaided without limp'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Krista, just checking in on you. It appears that you finally have a date in August!

Also, weren't you going for your 2nd sleep study this week or did I miss something? Hope it went well and that you are closer to getting much-needed sleep on a regular basis.
 
@Katiedid2, what sharp eyes you have to notice that I DO have a date for the tendon repair and the exploratory surgery! It's a long time away, August 15, but I feel much better knowing when it will be. I have so much time to prepare that I am driving myself a little nuts, going a bit overboard! I am still organizing and cleaning out all kinds of dark, messy corners in my house, and that feels very good. Having every kind of medical and dental appointment so I don't have to deal with things post-op. Had two vaccinations today that I'd been putting off.

And, yes, Katiedid and @Cynthia777, I had the titration study done on Wednesday night. Had the same 22 wires attached and wore a full face mask with a CPAP while sleeping for almost 6 hours, while the technician tried different pressures. I did really well, I think, although I did wake up many times, sometimes with leaks prompting me having to move the mask around a bit to get a good seal again, and other times just because I was uncomfortable, not in my own bed with my perfectly arranged nest of pillows surrounding me. Results will come soon and I'll get the order for my own machine. Can't wait to see the results! I have another goofy photo of myself attached to all the wires, but not with the mask on. My husband said that the selfie I sent would give him nightmares, and that I looked like the bride of Darth Vader.
 
Aren't you just happy you aren't in the throes of early matrimony Darth Vadar? :rofsign:

All kidding aside, I know a few people (my brother included) who wear a CPAP (or APAP, not sure which) and they swear by them. Took a little while to get used to them, but once they did, they couldn't imagine sleeping without them. I'm so happy you have that under control AND that you've received your surgery date! :-)
 
Do keep us posted on when you get your machine. I can only imagine how hard it must have been to sleep without your pillows, etc., but 6 hours, even though you awoke multiple times, sounds like this will eventually bring you some real rest.

I am still organizing and cleaning out all kinds of dark, messy corners in my house, and that feels very good.
Boy, can I ever relate to that feeling. It's so wonderful to divest myself of various stuff that accumulates when I'm not looking. I look back in my journal and see that I probably will never be on top of clutter, but I sure have been working at it for a loooong time. :heehee:
 
Hi ho, @Cynthia777, recuperating after a very happy, busy weekend with much good food! Overthinking everything about the upcoming surgery, not in a bad way, though. I never wear dresses or nightgowns, but am looking for loose, short nightgowns-that-look-like-regular-clothes-type-things that I can wear in rehab and at home until I am off that flat-foot-20-pound-weight-bearing requirement for 6 weeks. I want to make it as easy for me as possible when dressing and going to the bathroom, no dragging shorts or long pants up and down. Found one possibility. Loving our garden full of prairie plant blossoms - currently purples, pinks and white. How are you? Adore your sweet kitty avi. I lived with cats in a previous life, but am very allergic now, to my great dismay.
 
Oh yes, I saw that delicious looking food on FB! Made my mouth water! :heehee:

I've lived in t-shirt dresses for the past three months and I LOVE them! Besides the comfort of them, I like the fact that they allow the air to get to the incision, which I'm sure helps with healing. I got mine on eBay from different sellers.

I can totally understand the "overthinking"! It's just part of my make-up, so I can't avoid it.

Since I live in the desert, I can REALLY appreciate all the lovely colors you have in your yard! I do envy you.

Hugs girlfriend! :friends:
 
@Josephine, since I have a gluteus medius that is torn too badly to heal on its own, that will be repaired by the surgeon who does this as one of his specialties. I might need part of my gluteus maximus "pulled through" to allow my hip to work as required for limp-free walking. I still have pain in other areas of my hip and thigh, so at the same time, the other surgeon, a revision specialist, will be checking around the hip and the prostheses to see if there are any other problems. I've had testing for infection, including an aspiration, and most of it is negative, but he wants to see what it looks like. I have a small leg length difference. He may put in a larger ball. Looking forward to being able to walk without pain and walker/crutches for the first time in over a year.
 
@Krista ; just popping in to say how glad I am you finally have a date for your surgery. It is too bad that it is so far out, but at least having the date is good, gives you a focus instead of feeling like you are in limbo. And we do know, the time does pass, doesn't it? You have been dealing with this for so long!
I hope the time just speeds on for you, and you are at that place of relief before you know it!
 
Thanks, @dinsmaum! Having the date has made all the difference. I am quite calm now, whereas before I was on pins and needles, just never knowing what was going to happen. Time is going by very quickly, since we have been having gorgeous weather, and we are doing lots of grilling and having delicious summer feasts, with visits from my daughter and her friends, and going to craft shows and nature walks. Much better than in the cold, icy wintertime. So many distractions! Plus I have had the energy and motivation to do a bunch of organizing and decluttering, and that makes me feel good, too!

I am rooting for you with your hip aspiration in two days, and your stage 2 revision shortly afterwards. So sorry you are in extra pain with that spacer break. Just awful! Take good care of yourself, and best of luck.
 
Hi @Krista Delighted to see you have a date for your surgery:yay: time flies, it will be here before you know it!!
At least by then you will have your very own CPAP machine, and will be sleeping better.
 
@Simplieme, yes! I hope to get the machine this week and start on that journey, to figure out how it will best work for me. There are so many different settings and variables. I am quite dizzy reading about it and trying to absorb the info. Not getting proper rest is just so debilitating, especially when it goes on and on, every day, day after day. I hadn't even realized how it was affecting me, since it was my "normal". Wonder how I'll be feeling over time after I have the therapy. Can't wait to find out!
 
@Krista my son had a CPAP machine for at least 8 years. As soon as he got used to it, he wouldn't be without it. He got one that was portable, and he took it everywhere, even on a trip to Europe! Once you get get it, don't be afraid to go back and get it adjusted if you feel it isn't quite right.
 
I am all over that, @Simplieme! I hear it takes awhile sometimes to get the right type of mask, as there are 3 different types, many brands, different sizes. And it's rare for the settings on the machine to be exactly right for you from the get-go. It's a good distraction from waiting for surgery! Glad your son has found relief with his. It can be a lifesaver, and greatly enhance quality of life.
 
I'm so pleased you have your surgery date and your sleep problems are getting solved. Things are always better when you know what you're working towards.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom