Guest viewing is limited

THR 6 months post-op, still can’t walk unaided without limp'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to see how Darth Vaders bride is doing? That reference made me grin! Hoping you are sleeping like a baby!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
Thanks, all! I got the machine today after a mess up where they tried to give me an older used model that does only CPAP. I said, no, that I was supposed to get the newest model that can use a range of pressures. After looking shocked, she said I could come back later and get the new one, so I did. I have it and am working hard to figure it all out, downloading software to show all the results, and learning many details. Brain overload alert! I'll report tomorrow how it went. I know it can take time to undo all the damage of years of untreated obstructive apnea, and it takes awhile to get used to wearing a mask while sleeping. If there is one thing I have, it is patience!
 
Those cads! I'm happy you got it straightened out! I must say, you are one of the most patient people I've seen. With everything you've gone through...amazing! Can't wait to hear how your progress goes. xoxoxo
 
Glad you got the APAP that records data. I used mine less than an hour the first night, it got a lot better after a week.
Being able to see how you are doing helps, and gives you some control over your treatment.
Good luck tonight.
 
I kept the full face mask on all night of my first night with CPAP! (Except for one trip to the bathroom.) My apnea score of 2.62 was in the normal range. (Below 5 is good.) There were a couple of things I have tweaked to make things better for tonight, but I think I am off to a great start. I don't feel any more rested today than other days, but I still had lots of awakenings, and this is a process that takes time to get just right. I have time! I know I will get my sleeping in much better shape by the time that next hip surgery rolls around. Anything has to be better than how I slept (or didn't sleep!) post THR.
 
@Krista
Just got caught up on your thread. It sounds like you are doing well. Glad the cpap is working out for you. Everyday just gets better and better
 
Glad to hear you are off to a good start with your APAP, and keeping track of your treatment. Should help you with your recovery in August.
:sleeep:
 
Doing pretty good! I've been working to make the CPAP experience go better, making some tweaks in the settings and equipment. Apneas are down, and large mask leaks are down, as I learn how to adjust the mask better, but I'm having trouble with the humidity and hose temperatures. I've been having wheezing on exhalation after using the machine with humidity added. Turned off the humidity one night and wheezing was about gone the next day, but had the horrible dry mouth awaken me several times that night. So I am going to get a chin strap to help keep my mouth closed so that perhaps I can go without the humidity, if that prevents the wheezing. Have a call in to doctor about it. Never a dull moment, is there! Had a lovely time yesterday at a craft show. We are harvesting and eating some veggies from our garden, so that is fun and delicious!

I'm still limping along (using aids, of course), with more pain than before. Left (good!) hip has been having twinges of joint pain for the first time. Ugh. Have been taking some pain meds. Surgery is 9 weeks away. Hanging in and am mostly successful and not letting my disability slow me down, except at the end of the day.

How are you, @Cynthia777?
 
You really are an inspiration in perseverance! The dry mouth is a drag (I have a bad deviated septum, so nightly mouth breathing is the norm for me)! I'm worried why your "good" hip is giving you fits. Do you think it's due to all the work it's having to do since it's taking over for your bad hip? I sure pray that's the reason!
I'm doing really well and have been out and about more each day and living it! I'll be updating my thread in the next couple of days. Hugs girl!
 
Hey @Cynthia777, yes, I am sure the new "good" hip pain is, at least in part, from overuse. When I had x-rays of both of them over a year ago, the doctor said that I did have OA in the other (non-surgical) hip, but that it was mild compared to the right one. From posts I have seen here and elsewhere, it seems that a "mild" OA can turn into a bad OA fairly quickly, especially if overtaxed. Looking forward to your update!
 
I struggle a lot with the dry mouth after using my CPAP. That got even worse after all my dental work. I came off the machine the last few months, but I am going to try to work myself back into it. Just so much going on this last 6 months. Have to tackle one thing at a time.

Slept in a bed with my wife for the 1st time in about a year on a trip this weekend. She said my snoring was way down. She said last time I got down into this weight range my snoring reduced too. I know I still have the apnea epsiodes going on though.

Glad you are adjusting well to your device!
 
@gullimac, I was wondering how it would be to use the machine post-surgery, thinking how difficult it would be to do it correctly when in the hospital, especially when on the heavy-duty pain stuff. I think I might leave it at home. Glad yours seems to have improved somewhat post-surgery and weight-loss. I am doing fine using the machine, but worried about the wheezing. I have trouble tackling just one thing at a time, as I am a natural multi-tasker. Have to hold myself back sometimes! Down, Krista, down!
 
@Cynthia777, there are SO many acronyms in the apnea world! I keep a two-page single spaced list next to me for constant referral. CPAP is "continuous positive airway pressure". APAP is "automatic positive airway pressure". With a CPAP machine, there is one pressure all the time, and mine is set at 8 cm of H2O (water), a low-ish pressure. With an APAP machine, there is a range of pressures that the machine uses, depending on what is happening with your breathing. My machine can be either. My prescription was for a constant CPAP pressure, although eventually it may be determined that I should have a range of pressures instead, and if that happens, I'll change the settings to APAP and the prescribed range to try.
 
Hope you can overcome the dry mouth issues and sleep like a baby!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
I did not have any problem in the hospital with CPAP, a Respiratory Therapist came in every evening to be sure I was set up correctly. Pain medication depresses your breathing, using the CPAP will help.
Try lowering your humidifier setting, or switching out to a 22mm non heated hose (be sure to change the hose setting).
 
@Pumpkln, ooh, that would be great to have a respiratory therapist help out. I was wondering how I would even get the face mask cleaned and humidifier filled. I might be in there only one night, depending on what happens during surgery. Will then go to rehab for awhile and will need it there, too. I did lower the humidity setting. Last night I didn't have the dry mouth and had very few leaks and a lower AHI, so that was all good. It's just the wheezing that is bothering me. Having a problem with the hose temperature, so if I can't figure out how to get it cooler, I'll check with the DME. I think I may have it set right now, otherwise, I'll try a non-heated hose, as you suggest. Still feel just as tired during the day. I think I'll try going to bed earlier. In the past if I did that, I'd just wake up for good earlier. Maybe I'll sleep a bit more now. Time will tell!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom