Guest viewing is limited

TKR 6-25-15 TKR op date

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have PT twice a week. I napped for sure yesterday. Today I got my hair colored!
 
I got mine done too! Feel much better for it! How're you?
 
Doing pretty good. I did have a little issue walking yesterday. I Think I was going too fast and started to cramp up in the thigh area. But just walking around the house and doing chores, chasing grandkids, I walked over 3 miles. I have a Fitbit to track it. Hope your weekend is good @Raffs
 
3 miles!!! That's amazing. Do you still use a crutch/cane indoors/outdoors? Do you limp?
 
Remember, it is not three miles at once,lol. Broken up during the day. Oh yes, I limp! I have to walk slowly and think heal toe a lot! I don't use a cane or crutch. PT says as long as I feel steady, I don't need it. I actually went down the stairs correctly this weekend instead of using two feet per stair. I know it is getting better, but I wish it would happen faster.
How about you @Raffs do you use a crutch or cane? Limp? How are stairs for you? What exercises do you do?
 
That's quite an achievement to walk that far, at the moment, with the bruising to my knee after my fall, l can just about manage to walk about the house.
Well done for not using the cane, my Physio said exactly the same thing.
 
I use a crutch when I go out. Mainly for confidence but also because it is quite hilly around here and my knee doesn't like going downhill. Plus the pavements (sidewalks) are very uneven. I don't use it in the house.

Yes, I limp! Mainly because of the dreaded tight band at the bottom of my knee. When I bend my knee to take a step it constricts and stops me bending it properly.

I can still only do stairs one at a time, toddler style! I only stopped using the crutch on the stairs a day or two ago - my stairs are steep. I was told when I got out of hospital not to try doing stairs properly for 6 weeks. Will speak to my PT about it when I see him on Monday.

I do the following 3 times a day:

Heel slides (in a chair) - 10-15
Sit/stands (sit on bed, stand up slowly without using arms, sit down slowly) - 10
Wall slides (stand with back against wall, slowly slide down the wall bending knees) - 10
Lunges (foot on second stair, gently lunge knee over foot) - 10
Step ups (step up onto stair with bad leg, then good leg, step down with good leg, then bad leg) - 10

Plus a 20 min or so walk outside

How about you?
 
I use a crutch when I go out. Mainly for confidence but also because it is quite hilly around here and my knee doesn't like going downhill. Plus the pavements (sidewalks) are very uneven. I don't use it in the house.


I walk on a dirt road, no traffic but uneven. Probably why I go so slow!

Yes, I limp! Mainly because of the dreaded tight band at the bottom of my knee. When I bend my knee to take a step it constricts and stops me bending it properly.

Same here. My back ROM is pretty good but straight one not so good.

I can still only do stairs one at a time, toddler style! I only stopped using the crutch on the stairs a day or two ago - my stairs are steep. I was told when I got out of hospital not to try doing stairs properly for 6 weeks. Will speak to my PT about it when I see him on Monday.

I was afraid to try it, but I could do it!

I do the following 3 times a day:

Heel slides (in a chair) - 10-15
Sit/stands (sit on bed, stand up slowly without using arms, sit down slowly) - 10
Wall slides (stand with back against wall, slowly slide down the wall bending knees) - 10
Lunges (foot on second stair, gently lunge knee over foot) - 10
Step ups (step up onto stair with bad leg, then good leg, step down with good leg, then bad leg) - 10

Plus a 20 min or so walk outside

How about you?

The heal slides 15/2-3 times a day
Back knee bend while sitting on a chair- bend knee back with thigh forward, hold10 sec, 20 2-3/day
Leg raises- 20/2-3 day
Stair- I have them a work and home several times a day.
Try to do 2 20 min walks but sometimes just 1.
Leg on a towel to straighten with weight on knee- 10 min/2-3/ day
Heallifts 20-2-3/ day

Well this is what I try to achieve, does not happen everyday.
 
That's quite an achievement to walk that far, at the moment, with the bruising to my knee after my fall, l can just about manage to walk about the house.
Well done for not using the cane, my Physio said exactly the same thing.

Oh man, hope you heal soon.
 
That's a lot of exercises to fit in around work etc! You're doing well so you're obviously doing what you're knee needs. How's work going?
 
It seems in the U.S. Exercise is pushed more. My doctor says always do the towel stretch as much as possible and the back knee bend along with up to 2 hours of walking during the day...which is pretty hard to do when you are at work!
Work is hard. It's hard to sit all day. My knee swells. I am just working til 3 or so, was going to try to work into working til 5 this week but we will see. I do have an ice pack I strap on at work but really no place to elevate correctly. You are smart to wait to go back @Raffs we like to rush things hee in the U.S. Lol.
 
Yes, that is how it seems. I've had 4 sessions of physio/hydro in 5 weeks which isn't much compared to the US but quite a lot compared to other people in the UK. The towel stretch is to improve extension, isn't it? The PTs here say that is more important than flex in the early weeks. I was really lucky and have had full extension from straight after the surgery. 2 hours of walking is a lot!! You'll have to do laps around the office and ignore the weird looks!!

Work does sound hard. I guess the best you can do is to prop your leg up on something under your desk? As you say, not correct elevation. It must be pretty tough. I'm lucky in that I can pretty much choose when I return. I've been working from home since February anyway due to knee problems/travel issues/office with 8 flights of stairs and no elevator!! It's a long story..... My work are very understanding and we get a very generous sickness allowance.

Take it easy when you can.
 
Nice your work is so good! Mine is too. Just gotta remember to move.. Yes the towel is for extension.... My nemesis!
 
Your nemesis - extension!
My nemesis - tight band!

:loll:
 
Extension is my nemesis too! I'm due to have Physio session no 4 next week. @Raffs is correct, Physio isn't pushed as much over here in the UK, I think that the feeling is that you recover at your own pace! I'm gong yo do a 5 week Physio course for tkr and thr patients that the physios from the clinic where life had my op run, going to cost me about £200 but it's really worth the money.
 
My work are very understanding and we get a very generous sickness allowance.

So are mine and l also have an excellent sickness allowance, think we are very lucky in this country compared to the U.S.
 
I as many do went straight onto statutory sick pay £84. No company is obligated to pay sick leave. I worked for a company that gave ten working days, this covered the whole time you worked there. If we had voted for independance this would have changed in line with the socialist policies.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@CATSMUM what do you do to help with extension? I will try anything! I do the towel under the heal with a light weight on my knee, but it always hurts!

At least my PT is paid 100% by my insurance.

I took all my vacation and sick leave for this surgery, 4 weeks. My boss gave me an extra week of vacation. Now I am part time, so just get paid for hours worked which is fine. We have FMLA which says you have to let a person off for family emergency type things, surgery, helping another family member etc for 12 weeks without them losing their job.
 
@tigwy11 I haven't been given any specific exercises yet for extension. My Physio said the reason l was unable to get 0 extension was due to a muscle that was in spasm behind the knee, she had me lie on my front and massaged it, she was then able to get it to 0. My OS said that he's not worried and that it will come in time.

Makes me realise how lucky I am when l have so much paid sick leave. My hubby took a few days special pad leave too and also was able to work from home. When l go back to work , I'll have a plan that will allow me to work a few hours in the morning and then take the afternoon as notional attendance.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom