Guest viewing is limited

TKR 5 Years Post Op

It helped that my OS wrote a PT script that said non-aggressive therapy. Then whomever I saw had to follow the drs orders. I did try to stay with the same therapist though.
 
That PT group needs to realize that YOU are the boss, not them. What you say goes. If they don't like it, then don't go to them.
 
Dvannie, I'm just thrilled for you! I'm really glad you haven't incurred much swelling from the procedure; phew! Let's hope this particular PT is all your OS promises! If not, you definitely know what to do and what not to do, lol. Please keep us updated with your progress!
 
Turns out that If possible this new PT is more aggressive than the others. I'm so swollen this morning and exhausted. He kinda snuck up on what he was doing since it didn't really hurt the same as previous to the MUA since I have a ROM that is greater than 90. By the time he was done with the stretching I felt like a limp noodle. I'm confused as to what he should be doing that won't end up hurting me the evening and day after. And why do they insist on pressing forcefully down on your knee in order to straighten it? :nah: I can petty much guarantee that didn't help at all!

I have another appt tomorrow and I'm going to say no to any of his assisted stretches and just do the bike etc that I actually enjoyed and felt like helped. I'm sure that he won't like it but I do enjoy the exercises.
 
Aaarrrggh! NOT what I wanted to hear @dvannie, nor what you wanted to experience! I definitely wouldn't allow the forceful pressing down on the knee...no way. Stretching is tricky in terms of how much is enough. Do you think he'll respect your limits in that area? Or is it basically impossible now, post-MUA, to determine how far is too far? I'm thinking it may be since you are not receiving the same pain signals you were before the MUA.
 
@Pheebs52 I'm not sure if he will respect my limits but I don't intend to let him touch me this time until I talk to him about overdoing it. It's weird, it's not the same pain. Pre MUA it was a horrible ripping pulling feeling that made me want to pass out when they tried to stretch me past about 45 degrees. Now, they can stretch me a lot further without pain however my knee and muscles are not used to it I think and are spasming and swelling after the fact. As well, I'm one of those people who do not enjoy relinquishing control of my own body so to have someone else deciding what is good for me and just doing it without asking permission or listening when I say no is really not my idea of fun :thud:.
 
Good plan and I definitely understand that pre-MUA pain you've described. When I had that awful Home PT during the first 2 weeks post-op, I thought my leg would break. I was only at 40 degrees flexion, yet she tried to shove my knee into my face; unreal.

Now, because everything had been locked up so tight, your muscles just aren't used to movement. I'm fairly sure they'll get used to it quickly, but....no need for painful stuff in the interim. Gentle movement works! It's essential for the PT to be a good listener and to communicate well. My guy always asks repeatedly, "Are you okay with this?" Or he'll say, "I just want you to feel a good stretch, but no pain." Sometimes he'll say, "This might be a bit uncomfortable, but it shouldn't hurt." So, he's a good communicator and if he wasn't, I wouldn't still be going.
 
Wow, would love to find a PT that would communicate! I seem to be stuck with the ones who just do what they want and when I'm saying stop, they say 'just a bit more' and finish anyways. For some reason, in my case, they want aggressive PT.
 
I don't like giving control of things either, for that reason I didn't allow my first PT group to touch or move my leg at all. My dad and bff had your experience with the PT pushing down on their TKRs. I was bound and determined that no one was doing that to me and I didn't even know about BS at that time!

I'm not good at confrontation as well, but I set the ground rules from the start, telling them no one was touching my knee. My 2nd PT group was different and working on my revision OS script.

It really isn't necessary to do exercises so soon after the MUA because as you can see it's causing the knee to swell and stiffen. If you feel the need to go,tell the PT what you're willing to do and not do.
 
It would be good if you could find a different therapist - not sure what sorts of options you have.:scratch: I was lucky to find one like the one Pheebs has - though I had heard good things about the clinic prior to surgery. Same for me, my PT asks how I'm doing, what I want to work on, he has ideas but if something is painful or not working for me on a particular day we move on, he always asks how I'm doing during the massage part, and also wants me to work on stretching for longer periods at home - no pain, but definitely feeling the stretch.
 
Stop going to that PT. He's just going to cause you more swelling, pain and inflammation. That will possibly undue what your surgeon did with your MUA. You are the employer and they work for you. They HAVE have to do what you say. If you don't go to them anymore, then you don't have to worry about confrontation. Your knee knows what it needs, and it's not aggressive therapy. Listen to these people on here that have had all the experience. I bet you your PT and OS have never had a tkr or MUA. We have. Don't let anyone touch your leg. If they do, you are just asking for trouble. Please listen to experienced people. You don't need to go back to that therapist!
 
I agree with Celle. If you can't rely on them to not push and pull even if you say "no hands on" I would cancel PT. Really, at this point you know all the things to do. Gentle motion and lots of ice and elevation.

I also noticed you talking about muscles spasms after PT. All you're going to get if you let them manhandle you is pulled muscles--which then will need time to heal. I know some of the exercises my PT wanted me to do were limited by the fact that my muscles weren't that flexible. I didn't let them "crank" on my leg. Easy does it was the way to go. Gradually I got more motion but had to take it slowly and listen to my body's signals.
 
I'm not sure if he will respect my limits but I don't intend to let him touch me this time until I talk to him about overdoing it.
As well, I'm one of those people who do not enjoy relinquishing control of my own body so to have someone else deciding what is good for me and just doing it without asking permission or listening when I say no is really not my idea of fun
Wow, would love to find a PT that would communicate! I seem to be stuck with the ones who just do what they want and when I'm saying stop, they say 'just a bit more' and finish anyways.
This is not the right PT place for you. You are right - you don't have to surrender control to these people.

Remember it's your knee and you are the boss. They have to respect your limits, or they will be assaulting you. If they insist, get up and walk away.

Remove your knee from harm. If you don't, that aggressive treatment will set you right back where you started, and it will undo any good work done by the MUA.
 
@dvannie I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
Ta! Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine)

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
[Bonesmart.org] 5 Years Post Op


4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
Here you go, these are post MUA

1. Standing/walking about 4
2. Oxycodon/acetaminophen 325 mg - I take one as well as an additional 325 mg of acetaminophen every 4'hours. Before bed I take 2 only for the night.
3. Slight in the morning and after physio more swelling but not as bad as moderate
4. Flexion 90 when doing heel slide, 110 when leg is hanging off the side. Extension is about 5.
5. Icing about every 4 hours for approx 30 minutes.
6. Elevating about every 3 hours for an hour.
7. I don't do a lot. Usually each day I assist with supper, my husband does the majority. On weekends I've started coming shopping as well doing about two loads of laundry and sweep the floors. I'm currently not working but will start back again on Monday for about 3 hours a day.
8.
Exercises done at home
- 3 times a day
- walk outside 5 mins
- heel slides 20
- leg lifts 10
- hanging leg off side of bed and pressing towards bed 10
- stationary cycle - not full rotation 5 mins

Exercises at physio
- twice a week
- stationary bike 10 mins
- leg press to encourage bend, use good knee when pushing - 5 lbs - 3x10 reps
- seated leg lifts facing weights - 3 lbs - 3x10 reps
- seated leg kicks facing away from weights - 2 lbs - 3x10 reps
- wall slides - 2x10 reps

Thanks

Diane
 
Break through! I talked with PT about out how I'm feeling and he suggested that I begin with the exercises first and then come to him for the stretching I hate so much. Well, it worked, the exercises warmed up my knee and muscles and made me more flexible plus he was a lot gentler in how he did them so that they did not hurt! I'm so relieved and actually didn't hate the stretching for a change. He actually commented that I was allowing him to stretch me :heehee: instead of fighting against him. Since the stretching part is always done first, he suggested that I start coming 15 mins earlier than my appt and just go do the exercises in future. I would not have thought that I would be the only person who needs to warm up their muscles/joints first?
 
I usually warmed up either before or at PT -- either on the bike or on this sliding board they have there. It generally warmed me up for the session - but my exercises at PT are not about stretching but more about functional movement and balance.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom