Guest viewing is limited

TKR 5 Years Post Op

My PTs always had me bike first. However, he should still not be pushing on your knee because it is causing the swelling. Forcing the knee to do too much too early results in swelling.
 
This is great news dvannie! I always warm-up first at PT and just thought that's how they all operated...?
 
@Pheebs52 I guess not, I've now been to a couple different places here in Kitchener and they operate the same, you walk in, see the PT right away and they stretch and pull on you and then you do the exercises they've assigned. They traditionally measure you at the beginning too which doesn't make much sense because that's when you are at your stiffest! I'm not sure if this is due to the largeness of the facility where it's more assembly line? I may have been better off finding a small place but it's so difficult to find someone who can endorse those places!
 
that's too bad Dvannie -- @Pheebs52 and I have very similar PT experiences which we would wish for everyone but unfortunately our experience seems to be the exception rather than the norm from many of the stories I read on here.
 
1. Standing/walking about 4
OOh, that's rather high for your stage.
2. Oxycodon/acetaminophen 325 mg - I take one as well as an additional 325 mg of acetaminophen every 4'hours. Before bed I take 2 only for the night.
Only two of what?
3. Slight in the morning and after physio more swelling but not as bad as moderate
If physio cause swelling then it should be stopped!
4. Flexion 90 when doing heel slide, 110 when leg is hanging off the side. Extension is about 5.
Okay
5. Icing about every 4 hours for approx 30 minutes.
You accomplish little or nothing in 30 minutes. Ice for at least 40-60mins and more than 4 times a day.
6. Elevating about every 3 hours for an hour.
Okay
7. I don't do a lot. Usually each day I assist with supper, my husband does the majority. On weekends I've started coming shopping as well doing about two loads of laundry and sweep the floors. I'm currently not working but will start back again on Monday for about 3 hours a day.
good, good.

Exercises done at home
- 3 times a day - do them once a day and none at all at the weekends
- walk outside 5 mins - okay
- heel slides 20 - heels slides are very easy to do badly and this is badly. Read this Heel slides and how to do them properly.
- leg lifts 10 - little tip - once you can do leg lifts, there is no need to do them any more!
- hanging leg off side of bed and pressing towards bed 10 - I take it this is done face down? This is a bad thing to do. Your extension is fine and will improve on its own if allowed to.
- stationary cycle - not full rotation 5 mins - okay

Exercises at physio - twice a week
- stationary bike 10 mins - okay
- leg press to encourage bend, use good knee when pushing - 5 lbs - 3x10 reps - never ever use a gym leg press. Very bad - much too hard on the knee
- seated leg lifts facing weights - 3 lbs - 3x10 reps - never ever use weights. Much too hard on the knee
- seated leg kicks facing away from weights - 2 lbs - 3x10 reps - again, bad thing to do
- wall slides - 2x10 reps - and so is this

Those physio sessions are not doing you any good. In fact, they are causing you pain and swelling which is blocking your ROM. You'd be much better off allowing things to settle and improve on their own.
 
Thanks Josephine, below are a couple clarifications.
1. Prior to the MUA on Monday I was at a fairly low pain value. I am finding the pain and soreness decreasing now.
2. I take 2 of the oxycodon for the night.
 
Big event tomorrow my friends, something I've been waiting for ...... I'm getting my hair cut! I went to the hairdressers last January and with all the excitement of having the surgery earlier than expected I forgot to get it done. And then more recently I wasn't able to bend my knee enough to sit that long. All this has resulted in a massive amount of exceedingly thick hair that is horribly hot in this summer weather! My incredibly exciting life continues :yes!:
 
Hi @dvannie, I was able to go back and read your thread and get caught up. I was very interested since you have had a MUA. Mine is scheduled for Aug 9 and I will be 9 weeks at that time as well. I liked your observation that you felt you did better going into it with less swelling. That's a good reminder for me to keep working on that between now and then. It seems like I swell each day now.

Yah for getting your hair cut! That always helps and you can sit in the chair! It's the little things....
 
A haircut will make you feel like a new woman! My hairdresser pulled up a chair for me to put my leg in, so I could get my cut. Maybe yours will, too.
 
@becticu I went into the MUA with very little swelling and pain. I've found what they've said is true, the MUA puts you back about two weeks in recovery as to pain and swelling. I found it a bit difficult to go back to taking a lot of pain medication again and I definitely do not love the new swelling above my knee where my adhesions gave way as well as I had to take a week or so off work while this was happening. What I do love is the fact I can bend my knee even with the swelling and can get between 90 and 110 with a bit of warm up, a huge improvement over the 50 and sometimes higher if I was lucky before! Good luck with your decision and let me know how it goes for you!
 
@dvannie, this is really great news for you! I'm sure the swelling will go down rapidly with proper care, and hey, you know what to do! :cheers:
 
Yep, I know what to do ... rest ice and elevate. That should be my new motto for a tshirt :eyebrows:

The haircut felt so good! Lost about 4 inches, it's so nice and swingy now :happydance:
 
You could have one made with just the initials. People would think it was the name of a band or a covert organization, lol!

Swingy=Great for hair! Other stuff as well.:snork:
 
I wasn't able to bend my knee enough to sit that long
We have a name for that - the Movie Sign! "Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee
I went into the MUA with very little swelling and pain. I've found what they've said is true, the MUA puts you back about two weeks in recovery as to pain and swelling.
dvannie, no doubt you will be happy to know your MUA achieves the Josephine Approval rating!
Increased pain and swelling confirms that you had adhesions! :wink:
 
@Josephine, I finally feel enlightened about scar tissue! Thanks so much for providing that informative link. I do have one question that I'd love to have answered, and perhaps others would as well. If you have the time or inclination to answer, here goes: How long does it typically take for adhesions to form? In other words, if one was going to develop the problem, about when would it manifest itself? Despite slow-bending, I don't think I have them, so it's just intellectual curiosity on my part that would like to be satisfied.
 
Agreed @Josephine about the "tight band" link - very informative, as usual. My 'tight band" feeling has not been as bad as others have described, however I notice it more if I am swollen - duh! and I do have a harder lump area on the top of my knee to the side of the incision and I expect that is part of that scar tissue/healing area you talk about in the article. Continued patience . . .
 
I remember it was torture with my first knee and lasted about 6 months. But with the second knee, it was quite mild and lasted only a short time. Don't know how long, I forgot to notice!
 
I'm fascinated as to how and why two knees on the same person can react so differently to the same procedure, especially if done with the same surgeon. I do realize each knee presents differently in terms of damage, but is that really the bottom line?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom