Guest viewing is limited

TKR 5 weeks

Swelling is a problem---I hope the PT is not trying to increase your bend by forcing the knee? That is counterproductive and causes the knee to swell more. I think some of the PTs are desperate to show progress to their superiors---so, they force you to 100 and then put that on the chart---never mind that you cannot do that again or on your own. Then, they can tell you that you don't try hard enough. This is a never ending cycle.

Change to a gentle PT who is willing to be patient and to let the knee heal before any strength training.
 
I ended up with having some issues with my incision, I asked for my hospital and p/t records and it showed early on my ROM was good, and then it began to slide and then the talk of a MUA began. You know what else happened around that time........ a increase in swelling, every p/t appt seemed to bring on a evening and sometimes even the following day of discomfort. I also felt like I stalled out and my ROM wasn't increasing even tho I was doing what was asked of me thru p/t. When I backed off and took control on my end of the situation that is when I began to see progress again. So in hind sight all the pushing and energy to increase my ROM was backfiring. Everything you are experiencing at this point is normal, but don't push yourself, like other say it will come in time, with just daily living.
 
I'm five weeks post surgery and my ROM is around 80/7. Bending my knee is very difficult as well because of the swelling. So, you aren't alone! I stopped going to PT last week in the hopes that swelling goes down and ROM goes up. But, it's a very long journey. Hang in there!
 
I am at nine weeks today and have had a great recovery. I listened to the folks here and took it easy at the start of my rehab. I actually didnt do any PT but did get up and get mobile by the second day. I went out shopping to Costco today and when I left realised I did not think of my knee once...as you can imagine, that was a great feeling! so take it easy and let your knee heal-everything else will come in time.
 
@BC55 - thought of you today at physical therapy. I go once a week. I think it is a good thing that my knee feels better when we are done than when we start. Also, it means I get a Starbuck's peppermint mocha when I am done. It is a little sore after an hour in the car, but I am elevating and icing and it feels pretty good. Hope you are doing well today.
 
Well I see your doing great. As for me I didn't have any pt in the hospital because my blood pressure was 80/45. I just got out of bed once. So it's been 4 weeks for me. I'm only at 60 so can't drive yet. After pt I'm so sore and my knee swells up. Then the next day I do noithing. I'm not sure about pt. I feel better when I just walk around the house and do my own pt. But I'm not rushing it. Going to the doctors tomorrow my scar area is very hot and red. So I want to know what is wrong.
 
My pain level is 7 I take norco7.5 325 as needed. I do walk around the house and do pt 2x week. My Rom is 60 I can't drive yet. I have a ice cooler machine the doctor gave me and a passive motion machine which I hate. When I walk I'm not bending my knee as I should. It feels tight and stiff. I ice a lot.
While in the hospital for 4 days I didn't do pt my blood pressure was 85/45. I only got out of bed once. So I had a rough start.
 
Let us know what the dr says. I still have a good bit of swelling , but no redness (although the scar itches a lot). And I find I have to slow my walking way down to make sure I am using the knee like a knee. Left on my own, I keep it straight and limp, but if I go slow, incan bend it and walk more like a person.
 
When I walk I'm not bending my knee as I should. It feels tight and stiff.

I have this same issue. Prior to surgery, my right knee used to lock extended and I learned how to adapt my walk to accommodate the lack of bending. Following surgery, my left leg bent naturally for walking, but my right was tight and stiff, so I reverted to my presurgery walk. My PT corrects me and I have to intentionally walk slower, heel to toe, making sure I bend both knees. I have a couple of full length mirrors at home, so I practice walking in front of them.
 
Keep up the pain meds and icing, you are in the very early stages of recovery and healing will take quite some time as most total kneers here have posted. Just take one day at a time and be patient :console2:
 
I'm at 5 weeks. When will the tightness of the knee go away. Feels like cutting off my circulation. The only time it doesn't feel that way is after a good night's sleep.
 
Hi @BC55. I get tightness also if I have over done things during the day but ice and elevation helps. I haven't had the 'cutting off circulation ' feeling though but I am sure someone will be along soon to advise you. Maybe try icing for at least an hour - toes above the nose until someone more knowledgeable comes along x

Cait
LTKR
27th October 2016

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
 
It takes time. Just time. The tissues have been hacked about and are recovering like mad, it just really isn't quick. Some gentle stretching might help. And you're in the worst time, as the body's swelling reaction to trauma is at its worst.
 
@BC55 I just found three different threads which I have merged. In future will you please conform with our requirement of only ONE THREAD for recovery.

The problem with multiple threads are as follows
1. you don't see posts people have left you in the old threads
2. other members - and staff especially - end up repeating themselves over and over. The recovery threads are a prime example.
3. it makes it easier for people - staff in particular - to read your past history if you comment on a problem.

If you are having problems navigating the forum to find your old threads, then this should help "How To Use This Forum"

I think you'll find these two particularly helpful
Starting a new thread and posting
Navigating the forum; Finding New Posts

(you may notice I also fixed your avatar!)
 
Most of the tightness will go away as you continue to heal and your swelling goes down. There will be an additional area that persist for longer, but fades gradually:
"Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee

Tightness is also one way that we experience pain, so do make sure that you are taking adequate pain relief.
 
I'm at 6 months and occasionally have some stiffness and pain when I overdo. I had to use a chainsaw to cut up wood Monday and I'm still paying for it! This surgery takes at least a year to recover from. Don't force your knee to do anything that hurts. If it hurts, your body is telling you that you are harming an already harmed and traumatized knee. Pain and stiffness are God's way of telling you to back off. In 11 knee surgeries I didn't take PT and I'm able to do just about anything I want to without the knee holding me back. There are other things that hold me back now! Oh, the side effects of getting older! Bummer! But, please try and be patient. It took me at least 5 months before I was glad that I had this knee replaced. Now, I am! No more arthritis pain is wonderful!
 
There is light at the end of it. I am now 10 weeks and have walked the Henry Ford Museum and Mall of America. I still will put ice as it swells but no pain for the first time in 5 years. I can deal with the swelling. Ice will be your best friend and elevating it.

Everyone is right about PT and overworking. I had mine done at Mayo Clinic and they no longer believe in the pushing of it. They give you the exercises to do at home and tell you they want the knee to rest and heal. Do what you are comfortable with.you will get there in baby steps. It takes a TON of patience and several tears of frustration but there is a light at the end! You can do it!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hang in there, all the issues you are having will slowly start to subside. Overdoing it will cause any problem to be worse for a bit. I'm almost at the 6 month point and I still battle swelling, and tightness some, and if I get tired all things seem to be worse. Still icing and elevating and spending a lot of time in the evening just relaxing after a day of work. It's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel when were still in the middle of the tunnel .
 
I had mine done at Mayo Clinic and they no longer believe in the pushing of it. They give you the exercises to do at home and tell you they want the knee to rest and heal.
Hello @nacyjo Nice to hear from you again! I'm so pleased to hear you say this but I go even further than the Mayo - I did no exercises at al, not even so much as a single heel slide, for either knee and had rattling good outcomes both times!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom