Guest viewing is limited

TKR 5 weeks

Hello @nacyjo Nice to hear from you again! I'm so pleased to hear you say this but I go even further than the Mayo - I did no exercises at al, not even so much as a single heel slide, for either knee and had rattling good outcomes both times!

There were 3 very simple ones to do. 1 was straiten your leg while laying down. Another was sit in a chair and bend it but not if it hurts and the third was to lift your heel but not for 2 to 3 weeks. Only do what you can is their motto until 6 weeks. Then you can work on whatever you feel comfortable doing. They won't even give you a prescription for PT if you ask. Feel it is just too rough on your already injured knee.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Hi,
That is wonderfull. All I hear from doctors is you better start bending your knee more because if you don't you will end up with awful scar tissue and it will be harder to bend your knee. They say it has to be done within the first 3 months. So that scares me.
 
They recommended doing them twice a day when I could. I was told to only do it until I felt pressure and not pain. If it was too uncomfortable wait. You aren't going to form scar tissue that fast as long as you are moving around the house. The range of motion will come as the swelling goes down. I am sure mine still isn't complete at 10 weeks even. It will all come eventually. Remember that this is a pain that isn't like it was before. It does get better but be gentle with yourself.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
My revision OS was a fellow at Mayo Clinic and after my infection surgery he prescribed no pt for a month (I was in an imbolizer) and later non-aggressive PT, just stretches and heel slides. Around month 3 I got on a bike.
 
Good for him. Keep with the same idea with this. I had many tears of frustration and pain, but the future is worth it. I still have swelling and still ice it after I have walked a lot, but no major pain now at 10 weeks. Hang in there, you will get there.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Thanks NancyJo It makes me feel good k owing that I am not going to hard on my self. I do walk around the house and go to the Walgreens to get my rx.
I still can't drive. So my friend takes me out.
 
Wow I would think at 5 months you would be doing great. I'm at 5 weeks. Went to the doctor today and he said I want you to be at 120 by Jan 12 2017. Or he'll have to do the manipulation thing. He told me don't listen to other people because they don't know anything and can be advising me wrong ideas. There not doctors. And most of them are seniors and there not active anyway. So I guess I'll be leaving the blog.
 
Not being able to drive was one of the hardest parts for me, since I'm used to being active and independent. I was finally able to comfortably and quickly move my right knee enough to drive at about 6.5 weeks.
In the week leading up to that, I would get in the driver's seat and practice moving my foot between the brake and gas, and holding my foot on the gas and brakes (1-2 times/day, for 5-10 mins each time). Once it was no longer difficult and uncomfortable, I knew I was ready.
 
@little red canoe
Yes I know it's been 6 weeks since surgery and he wants me to bend my knee that far. Plus he didn't give me any more Percocet. He gave me Celebrex. That's for the birds. Every time I try to bend it more in in .
I'm lost......
 
I hope that you don't leave BC55. Everyone is just trying to help you. I have always been very active. Go walking every day and travel al lot. I am a travel agent who still works full time and goes on a lot of fam trips to new areas where you walk 23000 steps a day. I went zip lining last April and para sailing. Everyone is in this journey together and trying to get through the best we can. I also sail and love paddle boarding up at our lake home. No we aren't docs but try to help with what we have been through. But wish you the best on your recovery.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@BC55 All of us are experienced in knee rehab and just want to help others. We aren't trying to do anything at all to hurt any of you. We have the first-hand knowledge of a knee replacement. Read a bunch of threads including mine. You'll see that less exercise is more gain in movement with less pain. I have had 11 knee surgeries together on both knees and never did pt. I just used my knees in my daily living. I am not lazy. I am divorced, own my own home on 5 acres, of which 1 is cleared, and am a cat rescuer and have 11 cats, down from 13. So, as you can see, I'm not one of those stereotyped seniors that your doctor assumed we are. I am offended by that statement. When swelling goes down, ROM increases. At 5 weeks most everyone is still swollen. Even if you can't see it outside, inside it is. That's why you can't bend it as much as he wants. Aggressive exercise just causes the knee to swell more, so you bend less. It's your knee. If you want a MUA, go for it. But, on a knee that's still a baby and needs time to heal, it makes no sense. It's going to be forced and all those tissues inside are going to be traumatized and swell much more. It's your decision only. Not your doctor's. I'm so glad he's not mine!
 
I have moved some posts over to this thread is they were derailing another member's thread here. That's bad enough but this other member is already having significant problems learning to navigate the site. Please be more considerate ladies. Forum etiquette
 
Wow I would think at 5 months you would be doing great. I'm at 5 weeks. Went to the doctor today and he said I want you to be at 120 by Jan 12 2017. Or he'll have to do the manipulation thing. He told me don't listen to other people because they don't know anything and can be advising me wrong ideas. There not doctors. And most of them are seniors and there not active anyway. So I guess I'll be leaving the blog.
@BC55 - what you doctor said is not unusual and, as a general precaution, he is right. Yes, there are groups on the internet that offer unsuitable and uneducated advice. However, BoneSmart is not one of them.

BoneSmart is a reputable site, with a Board of Directors that includes several Orthopaedic Surgeons. We also have an OS on staff. These surgeons all approve of the advice that staff offer here.
In addition, Josephine is a RN with orthopaedic qualifications and over 50 years of practical experience. SHe's still working. She's had two knee replacements of her own, so she's seen it from both sides.
She handpicks and trains the staff on BoneSmart, several of whom are also RNs or PTs, and all of us have had either a hip or a knee replacement.

I'm a senior, but I'm very active - and I can't think of anyone on here who is content to sit in a rocking chair all day. I'm also a nurse and I've had three knee replacements, so I think I know what I'm talking about.

It's your choice whether you accept BoneSmart's advice, or not. You can take what you need and leave the rest. That's OK.

Similarly, if you don't reach a ROM of 120 by Jan 12th, you have the right to choose whether or not to have a manipulation. It's rather an ambitious target and, as long as you are still increasing your ROM, there's no need to rush to achieve it, because ROM can continue to increase for a year, or even longer, after a TKR.
ROM: it's worth the wait for ROM
ROM: it's never too late to get more ROM!
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
I do hope you'll stay and not leave us, because we'd like to hear how you are getting on. Best wishes, whatever you decide. :flwrysmile::santawave: :santa hug:
 
Thank you for all information. I didn't realize that there are doctors in the bonesmart. The doctor told me that if you don't break thru all the scar tissue now, you will have the hardest time later. I think I'm doing pretty good for 6 weeks.
I will continue to stay here. Thank You.
 
The harmful scar tissue your doctor is talking about usually takes much longer than 6 weeks to form. It's swelling that is stopping your knee from bending properly right now, not scar tissue.

Your knee is a bit like a hosepipe that is full of water and doesn't bend easily. But, if you empty out the water, that hosepipe becomes much more flexible.

So, concentrate on reducing the swelling, with lots of rest, ice and elevation. Even if it doesn't look very swollen on the outside, it's possible for just a little bit of swelling inside the knee joint to make it stiffer, because it's a very small space inside there.
It's not exercising that gets you your ROM, it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen so it can show itself.

I'm glad you decided to stay with us. We'll help you all we can. :friends:
 
I'm so glad you're staying. You are among really caring people who only want what's best for you.
 
Thank you for the information. I'm going to go as needed nobody is going rush me, esp the doctor. I do all 3. ice, elevate and rest. I notice when I get out of bed in the morning my leg feels great. No tightness and swellimg. Wish it could stay that way. But soon as I start to move around the swelling comes back. What a vicious cycle.
 
I followed the activity chart as much as I could and it helped tremendously. You can overdo and not realize it until that night or the next day.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom