BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[THR] 3 full days down since Anterior THR on 3/1/18

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by jfm1968, Mar 4, 2018.

1. BeBe

BeBe graduate

United States United States
    @jfm1968
    Just checking in to see how you are doing?
    I can't help you on the crutches to cane thing as I am still in love with my walker.
    However I do catch myself flirting with the cane in the house, but so far he's just not as supportive
    as I need at this stage.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:wave: I too, am wondering how recovery is treating you?
    Hope all is well as you approach your two month mark!:) :-) (:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  3. jfm1968

jfm1968 junior member

hi all and @BeBe @Mojo333 ! you guys are so sweet. This thursday will be 7 weeks, and my next (and i guess last?) appt post surgery, and i GUESSSSSS i will schedule the next one, likely for mid august.
    I am doing very well I think. At 5 1/2 weeks I began walking very gingerly (more of a slight hop step) minus any aids like my crutch or crutches, in very limited increments. If i go out and about for a few errands in the day I bring them with me, but there is no pain, just more of a fatigued feeling and then i will get on the crutches latter part of the day. As of today i am about 90% crutches free.

One thing for SURE I notice is I am definitely 1/4" or slightly more higher now on my surgery leg. I will address this w the appt this Thursday, but its not exactly brain surgery...lol, i went and got the rubber dr scholls shoe inserts - enough for most of my left shoes, and they are a tremendous help/ solution!

The only thing i have noticed is many mornings I wake up with lower back pain, but Im not sure if it is related or not to the surgery? I also am still not able to do things like bring my foot (on surgery leg) from a seated position like up and onto my left leg above my knee - sortof how a man sits with one a leg on his thigh (i mean vs womens dainty legs crossed ... which i can now do ) - but the other it still pulls down the outside of my outer thigh and fires pain into my center knee.

It seems like the process has been so much longer than 6 1/2 weeks, which is my obvious feeling of dread scheduling the next, but I just need to "get er done" !

How is everyone else doing?? @BeBe?

4. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I don't think I would be trying to do that this early out. Lots of deep healing and settling in there...
    I put socks and shoes on by putting my leg up on coffee table or couch with knee slightly bent. I CAN NOW put my leg up as you described but not for a few months...or at least didn't try too hard as you said...hurts. not ready...

Not sure how you got that number, but 6 1/2 weeks is really early days for healing.
    You will get there! Hope today is a Good Day:loveshwr:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  5. Jackie222

Jackie222 graduate

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Golly it’s very early in your recovery to be trying to do that with your leg. It’s notsomething I was able to do until well over 3 months out.
    I can’t comment on whether your back pain is surgery related as I’ve suffered with Back sin for many years

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @jfm1968 Your surgeon should be able to sort any leg length difference when they replace your other hip. Ask about this at your appointment.

Seven weeks out is still very early days! Patience prescribed in large doses.

• Useful Useful x 1