BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[THR] 3 full days down since Anterior THR on 3/1/18

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by jfm1968, Mar 4, 2018.

1. jfm1968

jfm1968 junior member

Wow, where to start...
    Had a couple of surprises pre-surgery - such as i was getting a spinal series of injections before the general anesthesia, to "trust them i would thank them at wake up". I was just not expecting that part & yes, they hurt... i had an epidural at daughters birth but this was multiple injections at varying levels in my back.
    Pre op team were AWESOME. My 24 hour stay in hospital was ok/ but the usuals- on morphine, so i knew the real pain was yet to come. And people will walk in the riom every hour as each exits telling you to just rest..lol
    I really did not want to take hydrocodeine for the pain, and was given tramadol, but i didnt even make it passed 4 hours gone from hospital.
    My biggest comment is, although i am only 3 full days post op- it feels like 3 weeks & it has been more painful & challenging than i thought. It has taken these 3 days to come to terms w the fact that another very capable human will be needed by my side or to run this house at LEAST 7-10 days & thats just a guess. And there is NO WAY i would ever be sble to do the PT exercises sent home with me to begin once home (ummmm.... no...).
    So do your best to build arm strength before surgery! Be prepared to not move from one place or position for hours at a time! I am having to force food & liquids down bc of knowing i will have to stand and pee, and get there all loopy balancing my wight on a walker...
    And horrible taste in mouth. Make sure you feel totally comfortable passing gas in front of your help! I have not made it upstairs to shower yet (only a half bath down here)... with allbthis above im betting most of you are prepared with all this info, but i dd not do much reeading before i went under bc i didnt want to get freaked out! Today i just started feeling extremelyyy imprisoned to my 2 couch positions & the walk to the bathroom just feeling like thats all i have left in this world forever & ever (pity party thrown here). Take your meds... my helper has been awesome- keeping logs of meds & times taken since i take like ALOT for 2 weeks.
    Does anyone else nod off on these meds than get very suddenly jerked awake by like a firing nerve pain running up leg or anywhere?
    So theres some tales frim the post op side so far for me! Attaching a snapchat photo i took while still on my happy morphine drip at hospital... enjoy - and i still HAD to have this done, so nothing i can do to change it & have the 2nd to also look fwd to as well. Hang in there yall- although what choice do we have right? Jennifer in Magnolia, TX

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Hi Jennifer, Welcome to BoneSmart :welome:
    Please read the Recovery Article below. I believe you'll find its content useful.
    In addition please check out our Library which can be found underneath the
    blue header at the top of the page. You'll find many interesting articles there.

I'm sorry for you didn't feel better informed about the anesthesia, allowing you to question
    or mentally prepare for the process. Thankfully it is now behind you. I agree that will need help for a week until you become comfortable with the daily activities of life. I think you'll progress more quickly than you imagined, but it's still helpful to have someone with you, or someone checking on you until you adjust.

Please don't concern yourself with exercise at this point. Pay special attention to the "Big Tip".
    During the first week, aim for a 5 minute walk every 3-4 hours while you're awake. Hopefully your pain is well controlled and you're able to rest comfortably. Don't forget to ice. It truly helps.
    Warm wishes for a great week of healing!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  3. Bumblebee

Bumblebee senior

Welcome to the other side Jennifer, the side of recovery and healing. You will get support from those who have been through the walk as only someone who has had hip surgery can relate to. More painful and challenging than you thought? YEP, I get it...12 days out for me. Feeling imprisoned to the couch? YEP....Although mine is a recliner.

Helps to keep reminding ourselves this is just a bump in the road of our life....it will get better. Rejoice in any small victories...like the first time you (fill in the blanks)....after surgery. They will come. :console2:

• Like Like x 3
  4. jfm1968

jfm1968 junior member

Thank you bumblebee - after i read the above posted of - i climbed the stairs to my 2nd floor & am in my bed ! Now this is proving to have its own challenges... but a victory for getting up the stairs at all!

• Like Like x 4
  5. Bumblebee

Bumblebee senior

See I told you. First few days I needed a belt to pull up my leg onto the bed, then I had strength to lift it partially...still doesn't come easily but it's progressing. My goodness you did STAIRS...at 3 days out!!! Give yourself an applause....and hopefully you got some chocolate treat next to your bed.

• Like Like x 2
  6. marguerite

marguerite junior member

Jennifer, can you get an elevated toilet? It will go over your regular toilet and make your life so much easier.

I’m impressed that you tried the stairs; I stayed in our basement guest room and didn’t leave that floor until at least a week out. (And then it was very gingerly.)

• Like Like x 1
  7. BeBe

BeBe graduate

@jfm1968
    Well you've made it through the surgery and three days. Bless your heart you climbed stairs!
    I for one thank you for your very candid appraisal of your hospital experience and early home days.
    Do you have someone else ready to come stay with you when newish BF's shift is over? Now is the time to call in your markers honey. Maybe your daughter can come home to lend a hand.
    We are here when you need us. Remember by next weekend ...lots more healing will take place
    Ice, elevate, sleep when you can.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MammaT

MammaT supremo

Welcome @jfm1968. I remember with first hip being surprised with how much it hurt. I was also surprised at how the pain decreased after a week or so. I found the more I walked, the better it got. The first few days of putting weight on operated leg was a little strange, but once I got over the concern something bad would happen, it started going more smoothly.

Getting upstairs to bed is great. It will also get easier. Right now just follow the guidelines-rest, elevation, ice, manage pain and small walks. I find it helpful to review the activity progression article.

While early days do seem slow, they do pass. You will be surprised at your progress on a weekly basis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@jfm1968 I remember an associate, who I previously had no idea had hip replaced, told me a few days before my surgery when I asked what to expect...the first week will be horribly hard and painful, and then you will begin healing in earnest and think you might live.
    I was scared enough, but I'm glad now that he told me that. All temporary....
    To be that vulnerable is frightening, or was for me, but you are already doing so well even if you don't think so.
    We can do things, just very very slowly and worn out after.
    Keep meds on schedule to manage pain, only go where you need to, and forget that PT. Wiggle your legs, pump your ankles...let that trauma settle down.
    Those zaps, searing zips, etc will also settle leaving you with per sore thighs and other annoyances that WILL also get better.
    Your smile is beautiful...we are rooting for you.:yay:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @jfm1968 Welcome to the other side. It sometimes takes awhile to get your own pain management cocktail just right. That's why a quick discharge from the hospital isn't always a good idea. Give your family doctor a call if your pain meds aren't working for you. There are many alternatives.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Layla

Hi @jfm1968
    Wishing you a peaceful week of healing at home.
    Hope your pain is well managed and you're able to rest comfortably.
    First days can be a challenge until you figure out a way to navigate all.
    Warm wishes as you embark on your healing journey!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mojo333

Hope all is easing some. This too shall pass...wishing you a peaceful evening.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jfm1968

jfm1968 junior member

Hi post-op-ers! I appreciate so much everyone's replies- i just went through them all last night at midnight. So today is exactly 5 days since they wheeled me out of the op room. Sunday night I was frustrated and said im just gonna try 1 or 2 stairs to gage how close or far i am, and i went all the way up to the top! Of course got up there & thought "ok now someone's gotta bring me my "life-lines" up here (phone, ipad, meds, water, etc!) lol because i wont be back down tonight. Ha. Slept in my bed which was a huge struggle trying to maneuver a position in my bed with no sturdy anchors for me to use to move other than my "good leg" & arms. But i slept the most hours of all the nights up there, took my first shower Monday morning, came down the stairs without too much struggle or pain.... and since yesterday through today there was a major turn-around. I think the consistent hours of heavy true sleeo (for better repair!), and my body getting a bit more used to the hydrocodone - has made the difference. I can raise my RT leg (my rt hip was replaced) up with pressing my heel into bed or recliner surface, i can let it slowly fall open in the outward direction and lean it on couch arm, and i can put a bit more weight on it now with not much pain. I still cannot flutter around more than about 5-10 minute increments usually every 2-3 hours, but it is like these small freedoms happened just before a minor (i said minor...! Lol) patience breakdown! I am being careful not to push it & trying to remember i AM on pain "masks" as i call them... keeping very well aware of not slacking on posture, bending etc... So BABYYY STEPSSS..... i tell you Day 1-3 brought many tears knowing my Left hip is just as bad as my old RT hip was, and was already saying "i dont think i can go through this again". I want to say with that beginning level of pain, for THR anterior / i give such huge bows to those who have received knee replacements, as i know those are WAY tougher! I have not read enough yet to know exactly how much better anterior THR recovery is than posterior THR-- i just know i was told recovery is easier...so if so, props to the posterior people out there too - or maybe im just a total big wimp with pain...but after 2 back procedures (laproscopic, but still surgeries) this def HURT worse! My gas passing days are behind me (no pun intended)...well, post surgery gas anyway lol, everything is just better. So i hope that this can help some others who are in the very beginning couple of days feel that there IS a small light hopefully heading your way soon. Thanks for everyones support here and i hope i havent just cursed myself with this positive report lol

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. jfm1968

jfm1968 junior member

Hi marg, i have the toilet seat- ! Its unfortunately made i think for a size zero rear-end! Lol I am about a size 12... and i still had to like wriggle my toilet paper hand through my thighs to get biz'ness done LOL The height & handlebars were lifesavers though for SURE! Anyone else find that little donut seat was a battle? LOL?

15. Mojo333

Agree a toilet riser will make life easier.
    Does make you feel like you are starting from scratch...first steps, first stairs...
    It will all come.
    You're body needs to go slow right now.
    Hang in there, commiserate here... we are rooting for you and we DO know how you feel:console2:

• Like Like x 1
  16. MammaT

MammaT supremo

You actually sound to be doing well @jfm1968. That first week can be tough. I had anterior approach on both hips. From what I’ve read on here, we all end up at the same point, and most everyone finds it painful after all of the trauma.

Keep taking those baby steps. They are what lead us back to grown up walking. We just need to let our body heal.

Also, maybe some sort of bag to carry essentials in would be helpful. I had to think through what I may need in one part of house over other.

• Like Like x 1
  17. hipster333

hipster333 senior

Canada Canada
    Hi Jennifer. Totally agree with you on the size of the donut hole on the toilet riser. Lol. You are doing great! I had the posterior approach but could not make it up the stairs ( or was afraid to try) for 3 weeks. Luckily we had moved our bed downstairs. I was on the oxy for about 3 weeks. Since then don’t even need Tylenol on a regular basis. I just hit 4 weeks yesterday. It will get easier all the time. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Layla

Hi @jfm1968
    It sounds like you are adapting, adjusting and doing well!
    Moving around as frequently as you are is enough this early on.
    I know it's difficult, but try not to focus on your other hip right now, just take this one day at a time.
    If it's hurting it will be difficult to ignore, I understand. But you have enough going
    on without adding that mental stress. I'll bet as recovery moves forward you'll realize that you CAN do it
    again when the time comes.
    You're doing great! Keep it up. Hope your day is peaceful!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. jfm1968

jfm1968 junior member

Thanks mojo! Read above.... i do have a toilet seat riser! (Thumbs uo)

• Like Like x 1
  20. jfm1968

jfm1968 junior member

Wow awesome to hear this news hipster!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1