BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[THR] 3 full days down since Anterior THR on 3/1/18

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by jfm1968, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Hilarious Picture of the dogs.
    Glad you are doing so well...
    And yes, you HAVE to behave.
    Don't know much about your type of Hip replacement, but want to give all those soft tissues, muscles, etc some more time to get over the trauma.
    Behave! And Yay for you.
    Glad daughter is there to keep you in line!:heehee:

• Like Like x 1
  2. BeBe

BeBe senior

@jfm1968

That dog picture!!!

Thank you SO MUCH once again for the candid clue in of the post op period.

I will have my husband here to help but I'm not sure he realizes how much help I might need.
    We live 1 1/2 hours from the hospital and he is not planning on staying with me overnite.
    I want him to stay but he doesnt think he needs to. So he will miss out on any tips
    the hospital staff may have for helping me with home care.
    Surgery is Friday and he goes to back to work Wednesday.

I'm an old RN but have not practiced med-surg in a few decades but some things remain
    ingrained so I have a chart for my meds. But oddly my OS said he doesn't prescribe narcotics post op!
    Aspirin for the blood thinner and Celebrex for pain with Tylenol if needed. That's it!
    I asked the RN at my pre op appointment and she told me she wasn't sure what my OS said but
    everyone goes home with a week of strong stuff. Oh and I'm allergic to morphine.

I'm having the SuperPath approach. But still have the restrictions? And no showering for three days. And PT starts on day three. Apparently the OS puts a long acting pain reliever in the joint
    surgical site that should numb pain for at least three days or so he says. Then after he says
    most people Function with just Tylenol? So my numb hip should be waking up just in time for PT.
    Oh and no driving for three weeks?

I am going to have my husband read your post. And really thank you for taking the time to share
    some of the nuts and bolts of how it can get in the first days. Maybe after reading your post
    he will stay overnite at the hospital with me ...

Love to hear your daughter is taking charge. Good for her!! I wish mine could be here but she is nearer to you than me...

Are they Great Danes ? Hysterical!

3. Jackie222

Jackie222 senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Great picture and great report of your recovery so far. :flwrysmile:

4. jfm1968

jfm1968 junior member

Thanks Mojo! Im tryin to behave (hanging my head). I just keep reading cane... i have not tried the cane. I tried 1 crutch but it felt really strange- not even sure i had it on the correct side

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. jfm1968

jfm1968 junior member

upload_2018-3-21_18-27-59.png upload_2018-3-21_18-29-48.png
    @BeBe Ok.... your post regarding your OS pain treatment worries me a little! One of the most interesting things I have found on here so far is the wide variety of post-op treatment, meds, PT, etc.... !

I'm glad my post surgery notes helped. If you are hour & half from hospital, yes I'd have have stayed overnight. If you are being released the next day - and I'm assuming you will take something "major" for post op pain...being a former RN I'm sure you know?

It's crazy to me as well that I was disconnected from my IV for my first walk in my walker in hospital just 12 hours after the surgery. Then they had me learn how to climb and come down stairs in the fire exit stairs at the end of the hallway! I found this so odd, like not exactly the most sterile environment...but I passed the stairs test- once again with morphine & anesthesia still in my veins! Then back to recliner in my room to 'learn' the 4 or 5 PT exercises on a xerox'd paper... ankle pumps, butt squeezes, couple more...with their instructions of 3x per day.

Again, remember you are on the "good drugs".... once those wore off a few hours after being home I was like Linda Blair in the Exorcist..... like "BRING ME PAIN MEDS NOWWW!!" My first dose of what "stay AHEAD of your pain" actually meant!!!

I was released with a med regimen of-

Meloxicam (same as celebrex pretty much) 1x a day
    Hydrocodone- every 4-6 hours as needed
    800 mg prescription ibuprofin every 4-6 hours (yes along with all the above)!
    Finagren for nausea from post anesthesia & pain meds - these were a life saver!
    An antibiotic 2x a day to help prevent infection
    high dose aspirin 2x a day (instead of self given abdominal shots!! Ug!) for blood clots
    Stool softeners (any brand)
    I took probiotics but still got a yeast infection
    Took my daily 1/a day blood pressure med
    Really sexy thigh high compression hose that do not stay up & were constantly rolling down to my knees.

I did ankle pumps only randomly when I would remember to do them. They told me at least stand up and walk for about 5 mins every few hours if possible.

I had general anesthesia AND spinal shots before my surgery.

The most frustrating at first for me was no way to get comfortable first couple days because the leg won't move even though brain is telling it to and realizing that your arms are what you've got to work with as your main mode of movement for first days. Have a good variation of pillows near you at first, squishy ones for behind lower back, ones to prop knee or leg up, ones to lean on a bit. For me a good description was trying to sleep on an airplane! Lol just not a lot of choices.

Get small bottles of juices so hub can just set 2-3 by you & you can screw caps on/off them- remember I have very big dogs with big tails that knock things over a lot.

Get thru those first couple days and you will be all good!!! Lol make sure all TV remotes are close by you! Ha! You'll be fine I know.

• Useful Useful x 2
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2018
  6. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

This article from our Library might help Using crutches

• Like Like x 1
  7. jfm1968

jfm1968 junior member

thanks @Jaycey I didnt see anythin specifically for one crutch...but i've got it sortof down, i only use it for very short spurts when i need to carry something in my other hand.

8. BeBe

BeBe senior

@jfm1968
    That's your girl? She's a heartbreaker! Cutie dog too!

So I'm sitting here in my recliner with an ice bag on my hip and one on my low back. Today we are having
    " Hopefully". the last big snow of the winter. I will have to go out and plow the 900 ft driveway after it stops.
    While husband runs the tractor.

The way I look at it from this Friday to next Friday is just basically going to be lousy, painful, why did I do this!?
    But I must remember that this PAST week was kinda lousy, painful and why didn't I do this a year ago!?! KWIM?
    I'm between a rock and a hard place. Just have to do it and get through it? One of my big worries is having a really tuff post op then having to summons the courage to do it all over again in a few weeks with the other hip.

I'm working on my husband to stay but the snow and farm, horses and dogs logistics etc might mean he goes home. Don't want him there if he is going to whine about it!

9. jfm1968

jfm1968 junior member

@Jackie222 hi jackie, i saw you had 2 knee procedures done and a hip. Ive never had my knees xrayed, because my hips began hurting - but ROM in hip area was years. Anyway, most of my pain BEFORE the hips feeling much pain/ or restricted motion - was front quad pain...but also outer IT band...but also a very sudden onset of throbbing /pulsating type pain dead center in my kneecap. And it seems to strike when i am sitting or laying down. Al i can equate it to is like a throbbing toothache, and its very sudden....and lasts for about 30 seconds or so? I had hoped this specific symptom would go away after surgery but i still get it now after surgery. I was just wondering if you recognize this type of sudden pain? I also still get lower lumbar soreness, i had hoped surgery would help that too...but the frequent use of crutches i think is a big part of that. Im just so fearful that my knees are arthritic too.... i want so much from this surgery (and left hip soon to follow). im 3 weeks into post op now.

10. jfm1968

jfm1968 junior member

@BeBe ! Yes that's my daughter...she's a sweetheart, the dog is a friend of mine's dog that I pet sit for, and each time I return him I put lipstick kisses on him. lol!

Ok....so where are you that its snowing!?! I could never make it in a snowy state. I commend you!

Next, with anterior placement I really do believe the pain from recovery is less. Don't expect a FULL WEEK of total misery. I'm telling you, I bet at the end of the third day, or by 4th morning you will be way more comfortable. And remember it only hurts if you MOVE . Actually standing & trying to just rearrange into a different position is where you will feel it. Your hub wont need to spend night, but maybe if he could be there when they begin the discharge process.

Believe me you know I understand the animals and pets part! That was my biggest hold up in scheduling the surgery.

I also didn't know you were getting your other one done as well, as you know I am too. But I am going to wait until I think mid august for that one. The recovery takes so much strength in the "good leg".... I want to make absolutely sure I'm strong & steady on the new hip leg first. And it's a very weird reminder lately when I just don't take as much for pain anymore...but then stand and realize the "good leg" is still not good at all!

During the first three days....especially day 2 I honestly said oh haylzz NO am I getting the other done....which of course deep,inside you know you still have to knowing your just crunching bone on bone in there.... but that mindset will change too. Exactly as you just said - we have lived to a point of our quality of life diminishing due to pain....so whats a bit more pain and struggle, to fix the old continuous pain & struggle right?

Did or do you have other pain spots besides hips? Do you fear its in your knees too? That's my biggest fear right now! Do you have a recliner for post surgery? I'm jealous of those that had the high end - remote controlled ones! But thankful for the "end of the sectional sofa" one that I do have!

I look forward to seeing how you do after surgery. As so many say here, everyone is different...you may have minimal pain all together! I and others will be here waiting to hear from you! I actually went through ALL my discharge paperwork today finally...threw most away, but saw that i was actually discharged at 12:30pm.... so I spent from 7pm (after coming out of anesthesia) the day before to only 12:30 at hospital!! 17 1/2 hours before they are unhooking me and waving goodbye after a HIP REPLACEMENT, LOL....its just weird to me!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2018
  11. Jackie222

Jackie222 senior

Hi @jfm1968 I get all kinds of pains in my knees including them giving way. These are caused by a number of issues, cartridge, tendons and arthritis. At some stage they will need to be replaced but as my OS promised the THR has really helped in reducing the pain they give. I will also need the left hip replacing but my OS hopes it’ll last a couple more years. One thing I do know is that I will not let the pain in that one reach the levels of the right before I seek help.

I’ve also had lower back pain since my mid 30’s. My chiropractor really helps with that. It was pretty bad in the weeks after the THR but it has eased now and I’ve not yet been back to my chiropractor.

I’ve found ice, elevating and rest combined with walking has really helped with my recovery. I stopped the PT home exercises very early as they caused significant groin pain. My ROM is improving all the time. Still can’t get my right knee to my chest but it is closer. I’m overjoyed to be free of the dreadful pain my right hip was causing. I still get some stinging pain in my incision area but it doesn’t last and I believe it’s due to internal healing still going on. I’m stiff when I get up from sitting etc but that goes within a couple of steps.

I’m very very pleased I had the surgery it’s one place behind the miracle of bunion surgery. :loveshwr:Had them both done at the same time. Once I was weight bearing and the pain had gone it was and still is total bliss.

:flwrysmile:

12. Mojo333

Your positive spirit is uplifting.
    Great you are healing well.
    No hip pain is amazing!
    I have never regretted my surgery (after first weeks of course:nah:)
    Onward and upward!

13. jfm1968

jfm1968 junior member

@BeBe Good luck tomorrow! Try not to be nervous, although I know it's easier said than done. I remember waiting for them to call my name to go get prepared in pre-op and decided to use the restroom first. The restroom was a ways away, and I clearly remember walking and in my head saying "ouch. ouch. ouch. ouch. ouch" the whole way there and back. I sat back down in the waiting room and felt happy knwong that those painful fairly short walks would soon not be so painful. After my right leg is healed and strong, I guess I will walk for a short while thinking "ouch. Ahhhhh. ouch. Ahhhhh." And content knowing the other half will soon be done to match the new good right half and soon will walk thinking "ahhhhhh, yes, I remember this!" Let us hear from you when you are up to it!

@Jackie222 thank you for your reply and feedback! It gives me hope that these little knee pains might go away eventually, and so glad you are alng well.

@Mojo333 thank you. You help so many of us stay positive. I am grateful I have a sense of humor and so many good friends who are around to help me.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Hipgirl18

Hipgirl18 junior member

I’ve got IT band soreness after left anterior, too. Day 17 post op. Icing a lot. Only using cane to walk!

15. jfm1968

jfm1968 junior member

Thanks @Hipgirl18 - did you get the Mini Hip?
    How long do they want you on the cane?
    Glad it sounds like youre doing well I am at day 22, so i'm just ahead of you!

16. Hipgirl18

Hipgirl18 junior member

Anterior approach. They want 2 more weeks with cane to offload weight a bit from that side. The IT band thing is bugging me, so more icing. Otherwise great. Hip is healing well. Sounds like we have a similar issue!! Grateful, though, for the progress.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Mojo333

Progress can seem slow, but that patience can give that deep healing just what it needs to get right.
    Forever hips need time...
    Good for you for keeping patience.
    Hoping your weekend is sweet.:SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:hi: @jfm1968 you make me laugh!
    Love the dog pic. Your daughter is very pretty.

I can relate to the quick discharge. I was there only 5 1/2 hrs longer than you.
    Leaving the security of nurses for the care of my husband was unnerving at first
    but I quickly adjusted once back home.

It seems as though you're taking all in stride. You sound well.
    Best wishes as you continue healing!

19. jfm1968

jfm1968 junior member

@Mojo333 you know i asked for both to be done at once, but Dr Kreuzer turned me down. I dont know how you did that with no stabilizing leg! you are the "hip hip" hooray hero here!

@Layla thank you on daughter, although she looks nothing like me!

lAnd yes on the hospital! Just crazy! I just feel like my time frame to remain on crutches, or partial weight bearing seems longer than everone else on here! :heehee: I know its not... but 6 full weeks? I am just curious if that is a mini hip thing, due to a shorter stem, or just so healing in general continues? It seems like a cane is pretty much walking with just a little assist. I need to mow my yards! (i know....i knoww i wonnnt!) Im just an impatient patient. I guess my rolling desk chair for chores will have to do for a bit longer. I need to to find out if i can get in a heated pool to exercise - my inner thigh is like a flowing sail ! :gaah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Every surgeon is different on restrictions. Just go with it for now. It's a short space of time for a lifetime of no hip pain. Patience is prescribed!

• Agree Agree x 1