BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[THR] 3 full days down since Anterior THR on 3/1/18

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by jfm1968, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Hippielife

Hippielife junior member

United States United States
    Hi Jennifer.... the pictures you posted of yourself you look like your ready for the prom less the

THR designer sheath. Anyway wow and I would kill to have that head of hair. So beautiful.

The arm with the IV dreadful I hate those things ... then all the tape. Holy Moley did they use a whole roll?

I am so proud of how your doing with so much all at once and family. So glad to hear of all your progress, especially this early on. During the next few weeks your homework will be learning how to navigate the use of a grabber! Once you get that down you’ll never give it up. And the sock helper now that’s a hitec solution. Oh my fav thing my four wheel walker with seat ...turns out it’s a built in tray and carrier with instant seat that is when you can sit that bum down . Oh as you mentioned the donut throne addition. Well little hi-rise has remained on my throne and now I’m thinking seriously about a bidet with all the extra fixings no paper necessary and a seat warmer. As it is you have enough to learn so keep the pain meds handy you’ll not only need them for the control of THR jolting issues but get out those trusty adult diapers they will save a lot of time . And oh once all that stuff kicks in just a few days and one other little Jem about wearing clothes that only go over the head will save a lot of grief and time until you in better shape to leg lifting. Then the last thing on the how to must have list is the dog walk leash. It is a leash like gizmo with a wire holding the straight long leash part to the floor with a loop open at the bottom to put your foot thru then pull up the long leash wire end and up comes the new hip and leg on the bed like a newly trained doggie.

Alrighty then that’s your homework for the next 6 weeks! Keep your posts coming! Love to read how your doing.

(((( MARSHMELLO HUGS )))

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. jfm1968

jfm1968 junior member

LMAO @Hippielife ! Ok first ...my picture..lol! That was taken with a Snapchat filter that not only magically makes your skin look like velvet, but also has cool options like the one i chose that put the date, my name, & time on the photo at the bottom! I wanted a pic of myself just out of surgery to look at when i go in for the left hip! The hair is yes mine...but if i wear it naturally dried, - actually i will post a photo of that LOL but words dont do it justice!! Haha
    Anyway - so i have been in extreme leg, knee, lower back & hip pain for years now, along with 2 back surgeries. Me & 'grabbers' have been friends for years...and i like to refer to myself as Edward Grabberhands (anyone remember Edward Scissorhands? Lol) Ive got as many grabbers as I do pairs of readers.... and like i saw someone else say you need at least 2.. one to pick up the 1 you just dropped.
    The potty seat & its raised poles are officially outside ready to be back in the garage until next hip! It TRULY is a luxury/necessity for any post surgeries, i just wish that seat was bigger!
    So i removed my TED hose a couple days ago because they would not stay up. I thought the hospital had said 4 days in them- i called today and asked and they said 4 WEEKS unless otherwise told at the 2-wk visit. Ok si, oopps. But why do they give us instructions at the hospital.... like a TON of things to remember when anesthesia & morphine are still in charge of our brains? So i got a new pair today and YES.... now im seeing the need for the 'sock puller upper"!!! one step fwd...two steps back right?
    I made the shift today...which BTW is my ONE WEEK post op anniversary from hydrocodone to Tramadol. I only took tranadol 3 times today, so things are continuing to settle in & down for me. I used crutches part of today as well, it was a nice change not to feel hunched over.
    I will post a pic of my giant hair (for a good laugh) below, and my scar taken today, and a photo of me at pre-op after they injected me with the la la land drug that my friend took of "us".... she said she pulled the shoulder down so i would look sexy. Lol !!!
    I hope all who read my updates can take a smile away and maybe even feel a bit more at ease if their own surgery date approaches. Know that i was TERRIFIED... just like we all were/are, and wish i had had more time to read others posts and words of support & wisdom before i went in, but i have a huge group of very close friends who were with me from day one to hold my hand & take snapshots of me to laugh at & with me after the fact. They have been a Godsend along with everyone here!
    Happy One Week all !! Awww! Its saying my photo files are too large! Let me see if i can remedy this problem...

• Like Like x 1
  3. jfm1968

jfm1968 junior member

164E06AF-8CC6-4B5C-9BCB-529AE2918A0F.jpeg BF9F00B4-73F9-4833-9FA9-0F95431C2962.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  4. jfm1968

jfm1968 junior member

Here is my scar! 7 days out.
    The above 2 pics are described in my post above !
    Happy Healing everyone!!!
    Jennifer in Texas

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. MammaT

MammaT supremo

Glad things are going well @jfm1968. It is so nice hitting the different milestones. Keep up th good attitude-it will make recovery easier.

6. BeBe

BeBe senior

Hey Jennifer sounds like the recovery is moving in the right direction! Friends and Snapchat pics!!
    Hope the pain levels stay manageable too.
    I do appreciate your updates as my surgery is March 23. This week I'm more freaked that my family won't be able to keep up with my animals post op.

7. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Wow! Someone was blessed with a beautiful mane of hair!
    While you look gorgeous in that picture lying on the bed, it kind of reminds me of this > :dead:
    I hope you have a sense of humor or I'm instantly on your s_ _ t list :heehee:
    Love the thoughtful friend who wanted to bring sexy back for you.

I can tell your journey will be fun to follow. You're doing great....keep it up!
    A wonderful weekend to you!

@jfm1968

8. Layla

Hey....noticed you are concerned about constipation in another's thread.
    Check out NanaMama's thread (bright pink heart avatar)
    She has some constipation recipes under Post # 38 if all else fails.
    Good luck!
    @jfm1968

• Like Like x 1
  9. jfm1968

jfm1968 junior member

@BeBe ok Bebe, i dont know if you saw any of my pre op threads, but i live in some land & have rescued for years & also own my own pet services business. I have SEVEN dogs, 6 large breed, & one feisty chi-weenie who of course has the Napoleon syndrome attitude. I have 4 cats that are sequestered upstairs only, but have a round upper balcony with trees, toys, loungers etc and their own "room" too and they hang out up there and watch all the activities that go on daily beliw them. I also have 1 guinea pig. The "dog routine" of care at my house is crazy to try to learn.... 2 in this yard - out this door only, 5 in this yard...but my senior and my pit go outside, then right back in, all sleep indoors, some in their kennels, some free downstairs, some upstairs in my room... i mean the BOOK of instructions to care for them is 12 pages typed. I so sooooo get the 'scared about the pets' thing, and it was my biggest fear going in to hospital!! It truly IS a routine... thst must be followed as "these 2 dont mix well, this one will jump the fence & get out (my pitty of course), this one is 18, so mostly wet food, again its CRAZY!! I just made sure to type every detail, then had new boyfriend come over, read the "dog care bible" and watch me evenings & mornings and learn it. He has been WONDERFUL, and patient with me on couch going "dont forget shadow only likes the chicken food! Dont forget so n so cant be with so n so! And of course they are used to barreling in & onto/ into my lap when let in, so he bringd each one in to me 1 at a time, lets me love on them, then puts each to bed. I mean that worry consumed me over everything!!! Just review it all with your parents, even if the routine isca bit skewed they will be fine. But it was alot of preparation for me too for sure! It WILL be ok, it just takes some time & caring people which sounds like you have! Hang in there!

@Layla YES you can probably tell me & all around me have very good senses of humor!!
    And yes, the hair is exactly THAT...a MANE!! I posted it for a laugh...its s huge mess esp in Texas humidity, but no way im flat ironing that mass of hair often. The other pic, yes!! Theres my friends for you...waited til i started to drift off from the pre op twilight drug, and takes THAT...with her in it pointing at me!! WITH the shoulder showing because "jen your surgeons PA is cute & no wedding ring!"
    Of course they ALL know im gonna laugh, that one did not surface until yesterday in a text string of 5 if us... i busted out laughing- she tuped under it "friend finds humor in her poor friend on her death bed...." i mean Sick, but hysterical!!! I told her i remembered her phone camera clicking a few times and her laughing- but i was barely there.... anyway i digress LOL
    "Ohh oh whoahh thatsss what friends are forrrr" ha!!

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Layla

Isn't that just a bestie to be watching out for you at all times. Even while you're lying half unconscious in a bed with a big gash in your leg and sporting a not so sexy nightgown.
    She's not letting a potential Mr Right get away. Now that's a friend! :heehee:

Your humor will get you through and I'll be checking in. I love a good laugh.
    Hugs and a great weekend of recovery to you!
    @jfm1968

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. BeBe

BeBe senior

@jfm1968
    You make me laugh! Dog care bible. BTDT! I used to have a giant blackboard in the barn with graphs and timetables regarding feed and meds, complete with pictures of which animal gets what. I don't have as many dogs as you but I make up for it with horses.
    2 dogs, 5 horses, 3 cats, all have their own specifications as to who does what, when, and with whom. It is complete chaos to the uninitiated and with the horses I have to have horse people to help. Works better that way trust me! I used to do some horse rescue but am down to my last 5 now. This time around I have to find a new horse helper ( interviewing Monday) because last October a few things were screwed up by the last guy and I can't go there again.
    My husband and son will be picking up the horse duties during the time I'm out with this other person as backup.
    Sounds like you are well taken care of and your animals too!
    Hope your day goes well

12. BeBe

BeBe senior

@jfm1968
    Just checking in to see how you're doing?
    Good bad or great we want to hear.
    Hoping it's great!

13. jfm1968

jfm1968 junior member

Hi @BeBe ! thanks so much for asking! i had a big rant/vent fest the other night on here somewhere, but it was on some other thread...lol. I seem to get entangled on here and then lost as to where I last was writing! lol

I had my 2 week post op last thursday, and got a great report. My incision looks great he said, and he begrudgingly cleared me for driving after he said wait he said one more week....and I said "oh...i thought it was two weeks" he goes "you drove yourself here didnt you" . he is my PA that pegged me as "trouble with restrictions" from day one.... but I explained I practiced first on property & that i live 45 mins! i also didnt have my incision covered, but i had JUST showered an hour before...so he shook his head and let THAT slide too but re-covered it there. He asked about what pain meds i was taking, I told him just the aspirin 2x a day, and 1-2 of the 800mg ibuprofin a day. He said that too was great to hear.
    So i am on crutches and he said he noticed i walked in with my whole foot on the floor, even though i was still only putting partial weight on it as instructed, but said he wants my heel off the ground. No getting lazy... I dont really understand this fully... but Im obeying this one. But here is where all the info on here gets a little confusing, some drs want you walking on it as soon as pain will allow, etc. I have the Corin Mini Hip, and my surgeon was Dr. Kreuzer, which I searched him on here and have seen his name pop up numerous times. I feel fortunate that he is in Houston, as he is apparently "the big gun" for Anterior Mini Hip procedures.
    so the downfall so far for me - as everyone including my good humored PA knew was me forcing myself to sit still. Today is DAY 18 post-op and it feels like WEEK 18. With the 7 dogs, 4 cats, daughter, 2-story house, laundry, rides to/from school, etc etc.... Im having a very hard time understanding why im on crutches and/or walker for 4 more weeks. Is it because its the Mini Hip? Or is whatevers in there "drying"?
    And why must my heel be lifted off floor? Some nights when i go to move in my sleep and unknowingly move my surgery leg....ive been sharply awakened by a bad pain along my outside thigh, like down the IT band...and i still get the very center of my knee throbbing as well right after. Deep inside i am terrified that both my knees are full,of OA too... ive never had them xrayed. I just look around constantly and want to clean, or etc... so ive been using my rolling office chair with my one good leg to sweep, and get around. Im not sure either if i am allowed to bend and get things off the floor.. i need to write and ask them. I REALLLLY need to MOW.... i have 5 acres, and i have a seated "zero-turn" mower but Im sure they will tell me no its too bumpy.
    Im also wondering how long some others on here waited before having their other side done? Overall I am doing well, just tough w a 2-story house n such. i will add photos in just a few!

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. jfm1968

jfm1968 junior member

18 days post op - Anterior Mini Hip THR

member pic.jpg

15. jfm1968

jfm1968 junior member

14 day follow-up visit. And yes, I've heard all the zipper jokes!! Lol (ie- they left a zipper in you... or, wow they're now replacing sutures with zippers? )

member pic.jpg

16. jfm1968

jfm1968 junior member

wait....whoa..whoa ... @BeBe ! What did i miss? You are getting your RT hip replaced in 5 days???? How did that slip by me!

17. BeBe

BeBe senior

Did you have a birthday!? If so happy Birthday! You look cute in the party hat!
    I have no idea about the heel down or up thing? That is definitely a question for your OS.
    He apparently doesn't want you weight bearing completely? I would ask.
    I haven't had my surgery yet so can't comment on what you're describing pain wise with your knee
    And outside of thigh. I have those pains now, the ice packs just migrate all over my lower body
    Both sides low back knees thighs shins all of it.
    Maybe probably need some more healing time? Don't be too sudden, you MUST let this hip heal so it becomes the strong one for the next go around.
    As for the mowing .NO! I have acres and use a zero turn too and NO. Time to have that daughter of yours mow. And clean the house. :heehee: No seriously I can say that, I have a daughter...
    I plan on driving to my followup appt too...it's at three weeks though. I also plan on booking my left hip at that time. My OS says 6 weeks between - he used to do bilateral but does not do it anymore.
    Glad to hear you are improving over the initial first days. I'm kind of scared at how rough it can be.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BeBe

BeBe senior

19. jfm1968

jfm1968 junior member

@BeBe so i did indeed majorly miss something.... like your original intro or post! Are u getting anterior? So for me, Im going to try to list what i would do different....or ahem, what i WILL do different for my left hip in a few months...
    (ok so i already asked for this at me post op appt...) but i asked if my next hip I could stay in the hospital one extra night. My surgery began at 3:30pm on march 1st, and I was signing papers to leave hospital at 1:30 pm.... 22 HOURS after this surgery, which includes being woken up every hour, 2 sessions of PT in a 4 hour window on 3/2....catheter removed, pee in potty, try to absorb the ridiculous amount of restrictions, medications, etc etc.... Mind you, morphine blocks the pain!., It also blacks out your memory, but you feel like you are just fine!
    So if it was done all over, i would have had a friend be there from when they rolled me into the room, overnight, and especially the next day which is just a few hours of disturbances and too much info! Then someone has to of course fill & pick up your meds.
    Whomever is going to be caring for you ...needs to keep a clipboard & notebook of when and what meds you are swallowing! I believe i had around 10 bottles going...some 1x a day, some " every 4-6 hours", some 2x a day 12 hrs apart. Get the notebook ready!! My doc originally tried to tell me i had to inject my abdomen with something er other for blood thinning. I flat out said "no, no more needles, im not gonna do it. Doesnt aspirin work"? he said "let me check w surgeon, and surgeon said it was fine". i mean come ON...! So ASK for sure!
    For me personally, the first 3 days were painful (hence why i said i was going to beg for a second night in hospital next round!) Next round too, i WILL HAVE ZERO PROBLEM peeing in the attached plastic pot that connects to the toilet riser thing! my couch and day bed that was a total fail trying to sleep in (the twin day bed)...was a good 12 steps from both...along with the walker not fitting head on thru the bathroom door. For me, just getting into a standing position was difficult & painful. Something that scared me and hurt, ** but went away after 2 days, was the incision sight would burn like fire upon standing up... i thought for sure the worst, like infected, etc..but it apparently happens, to some anyway.
    Gel ice packs..... keep em comin, although i was not all obsessed with those...and by day 3 when i was alone for 6-8 hours, i did not get up to go get ice packs. In fact i chose hunger & thirst over getting up....LOL
    The tennis balls on the back legs of the walker.... i finally GET IT! They are a Godsend....no scraping noise or friction.
    next round i will remain in a big night shirt, i will not battle pajama shorts up & down at the toilet ever again!
    I laugh that when i was happily feeling invincible at tje hospital i asked when i could shower...bc i felt gross. ummm.....yehhhh, NO. i finally showered FOUR DAYS after being home, on a shower chair, saran wrap on bandage, still thinking maybe a 5th day wouldve been ok.... lol
    I will have a trashcan near everywhere next time....as everywhere i go im looking for one... its tough to exist day after day with "no hands".... so the tiniest of trash piles accumulate wherever u are! wrappers, keurig cups, paper plates ...u name it. The basket made for the front of the walker......do not overlaod it with clean laundry towers .....or very precious cups of ice plus etc....it WILL tip forward and fall directly on top of your surgery foot.... only took me ONCE to learn that one!
    Next time i will make batches of food like spaghetti and put them in single size serving cups that are microwavable. the simplest of tasks suddenly seem to take hours, and oF course HANDS.
    WITH all the above said, i honestly thought i was dying the first three days, pain, the many bathroom trips tje first day or so, no WAY to get comfy anywhere, pillls & more pills, just misery...BUT..... at the end of day 3 for me personally it was like the storm just lifted. A complete 180 degrees..... i climbed the stairs, i showered, i got in my bed (but take heed its not easy at first to do everything with your arm strength and one good leg....but you will start to work it out....i started using my good leg (my good foot) to raise my other dead foot up and over...you get the idea.
    Dont do what i did....and start off waiting for pain to take the meds. Stay AHEAD of the pain! Also for me personally, i get nauseated easily, so i took finagren pills with my hydrocodone, which also cause drowsiness, which was fine with me! I also got a dang yeast infection day 5 from so many meds for so long, so if your prone to them tell doc!
    Past those 3-4 days..... you will just enter bored, RESTLESS, frustrated/helpless stage.....and od youre like me every time you ask anyone to help u w/ anything it will be like " ug so sorry to bother you ahhhhgain...but..."
    My dogs i was really afraid would jump on me, but they are afraid of the walker and esp the crutches...so that was a good thing i guess? Ask for a script for a handicap parking pass before leaving hospital!
    ok for now thats me advice...LOL....get past that 3 days, and i pray you will feel good...or i pray it will be less than that! With multiple animals, i can tell you 2 people,there at same time most of the day hours is the best.
    my daughter is home and she is taking full charge here... im proud of her to be 15 !! Truly a blessing of a child. For now....
    bed time! like all have said, remember this is going to take you OUT of pain! this was my 6th major hospital surgery and im still kickin! you got this!

• Like Like x 4
  20. jfm1968

jfm1968 junior member

IMG_1363.JPG

• Funny Funny x 3