TKR 2nd knee, 2nd recovery

Yes, pain killers give me cotton mouth. The fluids are good for you but I also found sugar free hard candy to be helpful as well. I kept a variety in a bowl right next to the recliner.
 
My MIL arrived safely last night, she hadn't been in the house for an hour when she started planning her meals for the next week, told my husband she wanted fish today, he had purchased meat, so I left them to it.
Sounds like they have quite the dance :). Leave them to it and enjoy the company and extra help. No way is anyway changing the mind of an 84yo who is on care duty.
 
@hawk2go lol my husband went to work expecting his mum to look after me... talk about passing the buck, anyway at 1pm I hobbled my way to the kitchen to discover she had already had her lunch :heehee: and was under the impression that her Son was taking care of me, so I resorted to what I call make me feel better food - scrambled eggs on toast.
They have now gone shopping so for at least this weekend I will be fed haha

@SaraK - boiled sweets what a good idea xx
 
@Sara61 the first few weeks I was struggling so much with nausea even taking nausea medicine but one of the few things that I could eat was mashed potatoes. Over here there is a famous restaurant chain called “Bob Evans” and they are now selling their mashed potatoes in the grocery stores and man, they are good. At least they tasted good to me those first few weeks of recovery. That was actually a good thing because my husband is NOT a cook at all and it was hard enough for him to figure out things for him to eat. Hoping you get some good food this weekend with a plan to get you fed next week too!
 
@Sara61 perhaps your MIL is waiting to be asked to help- doesn’t want to step on any toes by presuming she can just plunge right in.
Or perhaps she has done things on her own for so long she actually doesn’t even see you might need help….well so long as she doesn’t expect you to wait on her:rotfl:
Your husband is going to be under a lot of pressure between you, his wife who has had surgery and his mother - I feel a little sorry for him.
I have to say scrambled eggs would be on my feel good food list too.
 
I actually felt sorry for him last night, he got home from work and took his Mum shopping, of course he forgot to take any shopping bags, little things us girls remember, the lesson he is learning out of all this is actually how much a housewife does. In someways he has been spoilt, as the home is mainly my domain.
I'm sure in a few days things will sort themselves out, maybe your right ( hopefully).

Last night, I had the most dreadful constipation :flabber: I'm told it's from the medication, & lack of movement, its a bit catch 22 as the more water I drink the more often I tinkle so I was under the conclusion that I was moving enough.
Hubby has gone to the pharmacy for a laxative and then I really need to work on my diet change, maybe become a little more pro active as its been so cold, I've mainly be lying in bed resting for the last 9 days, I'm hoping the staples will get removed on Wednesday, that way my actual knee won't feel so constricting.

I've booked a hairdressers appointment for Tuesday, just a simple wash & blowdry, it will do me good to get out of the house, as cabin fever ( bedroom fever) is beginning to close in, with the ever increase of new covid cases even my friends are not visiting as they are scared of carrying and passing it on.

Wishing you all a painless Saturday xx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think some form of laxative should be included in the pain med prescription when you leave hospital.

I was sent home with meds, an Ortho Glide, an Aircast Cryo Cuff and a box of laxatives. All four components necessary as far as I was concerned.
 
@Sara61 Poor hubby- mine could probably give him tips:heehee: I assumed he would not remember anything I told him about the day to day running of the household so before I had the surgery I wrote it down in a notebook step by step including the doggie medicine schedule for my epileptic dog and the grand finale was how to use my Nespresso machine to make my coffee!
Regarding constipation I didn’t go for nearly a week post surgery but then again I wasn’t eating. I have food allergies and couldn’t eat the food in the hospital, home was nearly 2 hours away so couldn’t be brought in. Once I got home I was in so much pain because they dropped my painkillers do drastically I couldn’t eat. Appetite came back after that got sorted out. I used dried mango , I like eating it and I knew it should get things moving along once I was ready- about 4 snack packs later and it worked.:yes!:
It will be nice for you to get out of the house, just take it easy.
Happy Healing
 
Given myself a jolly good pep talk, told myself to buck up and move !
So I had a lovely long shower, got out of my nightdress and put on wide legged lounge pants and my new plan of action is that I will potter around the house in the morning (with the occasional rest) help with lunch even if it's just to chop an onion then after lunch have a wee rest and early evening join in as otherwise I'll go batcrazy, 9 days in a bedroom is too much.
Carlos ( my hubby) bought a large bag of kiwis and fresh fish for lunch, he also brought clams- these I will prepare as I know best haha.

Feeling more positive already xx
 
..., 9 days in a bedroom is too much...


Feeling more positive already xx
My Bridge partner has a friend who treated her TKR with plenty of bed rest.

She is almost disabled now as she spent far too long [weeks and weeks to be fair] on bed rest and didn't do any rehab as such.

Good for you with your self pep talk. I prepared dinner the night I came home from hospital and yes, it was a real stretch and a very, VERY slow process, but it got me in the right mind set.
You are now of the same thinking. Excellent step forward. :)
 
Glad you are feeling more positive. I know it would be hard to have a visitor during recovery. My sister was to visit in late November, but cancelled her visit as I knew I couldn’t handle it.
 
@Mrty2019 It's not an ideal solution, but unfortunately I hadn't the heart to let her spend Xmas on her own, although I can now sympathise with my sister-in law as her mum is very difficult, and will only get more so with time.
I will just take each day the best I can, I was feeling very blue the last couple of days, my daughter not being allowed to travel home for Xmas, hit me quite hard as I was so looking forward to seeing her, but for the sake of everyone around me I need to be a bit more jolly and try to get into the festive cheer.
 
Sara, you seem to be doing so well. I think there is something to be said for trying to keep things as normal as possible, within reason of course. It may sound vain but within days of surgery, after scaring myself with my reflection in the mirror, I began styling my hair and applying minimal make-up because it made me feel normal and was a little pick me in those early boring days. Getting dressed, eating at the table, participating in meal prep, if you have the energy, are all beneficial in my opinion. I guess I wasn’t a patient, patient! Sounds like you’re not either, lol.
My Bridge partner has a friend who treated her TKR with plenty of bed rest.

She is almost disabled now as she spent far too long [weeks and weeks to be fair] on bed rest and didn't do any rehab as such.
I wonder how many of these stories become exaggerated along the way? I am wondering because this sounds rather extreme, it reminds me of a thread we have in the Social Room, opposite outcomes though, about exaggerated recovery stories. Check it out, if you haven’t already, it’s good humor.

As a reminder to others, Physical Therapy isn’t for everyone. Each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.
 
Sara, you seem to be doing so well. I think there is something to be said for trying to keep things as normal as possible, within reason of course. It may sound vain but within days of surgery, after scaring myself with my reflection in the mirror, I began styling my hair and applying minimal make-up because it made me feel normal and was a little pick me in those early boring days. Getting dressed, eating at the table, participating in meal prep, if you have the energy, are all beneficial in my opinion. I guess I wasn’t a patient, patient! Sounds like you’re not either, lol.
My Bridge partner has a friend who treated her TKR with plenty of bed rest.

She is almost disabled now as she spent far too long [weeks and weeks to be fair] on bed rest and didn't do any rehab as such.
I wonder how many of these stories become exaggerated along the way? I am wondering because this sounds rather extreme, it reminds me of a thread we have in the Social Room, opposite outcomes though, about exaggerated recovery stories. Check it out, if you haven’t already, it’s good humor.

As a reminder to others, Physical Therapy isn’t for everyone. Each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.
I don't do exaggeration but I'm sure there are many who do, on both ends of the rehab spectrum so I guess it depends on how one looks at extreme. I would say needing help to get around and the use of a wheelchair occasionally, a slightly more unfortunate outcome of a TKR. Taking to her bed as an invalid initially and then not following any structured rehab programme, not very useful.

To my mind, being in the right mindset is a vital part of my rehab. Positivity is all, even through the setbacks, and we all have them, and celebrating the little steps forward is all part of our recovery process. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had extensive bruising along the side of my knee, back of knee, really vibrant purples and blues that faded in a few weeks. I had deep bruising down my calf, shin and ankle that turned yellow and didn't go away for MONTHS. Those areas were sensitive to where I was afraid to get the leg massage when I got a pedicure with my daughter in late Oct, early Nov. It turned out ok but those bruises took a long time to go away and not feel sensitive. I'm still sensitive when laying on my left side, from hip all the way to ankle. It's much better but it really does take time.

Yes, I had dry mouth too when I was on opioids.

Good luck to you and your hubby as you navigate recovery, caregiving and having the mother in law there. I found out pretty early that my hubby could NOT handle all the day to day tasks I did and do on a regular basis. From cooking, cleaning, dishes, laundry, shopping, pets and their care, he could not handle it all and lost lots of sleep and got crabby. You'd think it would have lead to a greater appreciation for all I do but nope! I think he felt shame. He was very glad to let me take things back over. Good luck to you!
 
@Scaredycat10 I'm sorry your Bridge partner has not faired well in her recovery, however this is my second replacement and I know from experience what my body has gone through and allowing myself to heal internally will benefit me in the future, my surgeon who is one of the top surgeons in Portugal is very much in the belief that PT is not absolutely necessary after a knee replacement and that your daily living activities & walking is really all your knee needs.
Had this been my first replacement your post would have scared me to death, however I thank you for your concern.
For those of you reading my post, although I have rested plenty, I have also carried out my daily living activities and done the mandatory exercises we are given upon leaving the hospital, but at this stage I do not feel I need the extra pain from the PT just yet.

@Layla totally agree with you, today I got dressed, combed my hair and spent the morning pottering around the house, I even ventured into the garden and fed the birdies, I helped cook lunch and later friends came over. Will I pay the price tomorrow who knows, but it's a price worth paying as it did the world of good to my self esteem.

@Susie-Q - I can so relate, I would love to lie on my side but I'm bruised and like you, my skin is ever so sensitive to touch, this is a first for me as I didn't have this on my previous replacement, but like everything in this recovery-time is the essence and this too will heal eventually.
 
@Scaredycat10 I'm sorry your Bridge partner has not faired well in her recovery, however this is my second replacement and I know from experience what my body has gone through and allowing myself to heal internally will benefit me in the future, my surgeon who is one of the top surgeons in Portugal is very much in the belief that PT is not absolutely necessary after a knee replacement and that your daily living activities & walking is really all your knee needs.
Had this been my first replacement your post would have scared me to death, however I thank you for your concern.
For those of you reading my post, although I have rested plenty, I have also carried out my daily living activities and done the mandatory exercises we are given upon leaving the hospital, but at this stage I do not feel I need the extra pain from the PT just yet.
It was my Bridge partner's friend. I am sorry if my comment would have come across as alarming to you if it was your first time round. It wasn't meant to be. I was just following up your comment on 9 days in a bedroom was too much with an anecdote on someone who spent weeks and weeks on bed rest. Literally, resting in bed. She did virtually no rehab at all. Not the same as you at all. Spending nearly a month in bed and with no rehab as such during and afterwards, did her no favours at all. Apologies if you think my comment out of order but I think hers was a potential scary scenario, not yours at all.
 
Last edited:
Apart from the dull constant ache at the back of my knee which the pain killers don't seem to notice, my pain levels are not too bad considering I was on my feet most of yesterday.
Another small victory is that I got back into bed at 04:30am and then noticed that my crutches were standing by bathroom door, I had totally forgotten to use them on my walk back to bed :happydance:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom