TKR 2nd knee, 2nd recovery

@Sara61 I understand about the staples, I had over 35 but I have to say while it was a little uncomfortable it didn’t hurt. What was funny was the doctor removing them had a serious fear of my knee just bursting out over him- totally not an issue but it was funny to see him more worried about it than me.
Good compression stocking have to be fitted properly, they tried the thigh ones on me and started to cut off my circulation, then went for the knee highs which were far too long - badly fitted compression stockings can cause pain and discomfort. I was so happy I could take them off after 6 weeks(Ireland)
The bee-sting injections are a pain in the tummy , I was told to ice the area before injecting as it makes it easier to take, might be worth a go. 26 days! They really want to prevent blood clots for you.
 
@Eire1 wow I'm surprised you lasted 6 weeks, I was 5 days post surgery when I started pulling , stretching and eventually took them off, I have since dug out my old ones from 2019, they seem bigger and been using them, daytime only.
I think 26 days and their over caution may have to do with the fact that in 2016, I had the main vein in the back of each leg removed, as I had previously suffered from swollen ankles ( I worked for many years at the airport greeting holiday guests, ) we had to in those days to wear high heals and were on our feet all day, this caused varicose veins.
 
@Sara61 What are the injections for? I nor any TKR friends did injections.

For blood thinning to avoid clots, I take a baby aspirin morning and night.

The compression socks were just for the first couple of days. I hated them.

I overdid the laxatives when I was in OxyContin and regretted it so be careful.

I read - I think on Bonesmart - that tramadol works better when taken with Tylenol. So, this time I took them together every 6 hours and had very little pain and felt better than when I was on OxyContin.

When I was a kidney donor I had staples in my abdomen where they removed the kidney. Yes I hated them, but don’t remember much pain in such a tender area when they snipped them out. Probably “mild discomfort”. I was just so glad to get rid of them. Cheers!
 
I am trying to return to doing more meal prep. Standing in the kitchen is so hard, I am breaking dinner prep into sections. I started an hour ago and do a little and then sit for a while. I hope this works!!! Hubs has been great, but I need to pick some things back up.
 
@Mrty2019 the injections Enoxaparin sodium is an anticoagulant medication. It is used to treat and prevent deep vein thrombosis, our surgeons are great supporters of it, I had 26 days in 2019 as well, I would much prefer an aspirin.

Tylenol is known in Europe as Paracetamol that is what I'm using, today I kinda got out of my routine, so I'm trying to delay it a bit so I don't have to wake up especially in the middle of the night, hopefully tomorrow I can get back to my normal routine. :praying: pain doesn't hit me with a vengeance.

Only took 2 laxatives, last night, they worked but I'm feeling a bit sore, possibly caused hemorrhoids - GEE if it's not one thing it's another, I'm tired of hurting, this time round is so different than my first replacement and I thought I was fitter /stronger this time but it is early days only 2 weeks have passed and I need to teach myself a lesson in patience.

Likewise I'm doing the odd thing in the kitchen too, making the salad or clearing up after, it makes me feel useful xx
 
I am thankful that I didn’t have to do the Lovenox injections or the compression stockings. I have certainly given enough of the Lovenox injections when I was a working nurse. My doc only had me take 2 aspirins a day for the first month I think.
My doc has everyone that is on narcotics take an AM and PM stool softner and one laxative daily. That was enough for me to stay regular.
we used to use Magnesium Citrate in the hospital as a last resort. It worked for most people.
 
@Sks1997 I think I am going to have to talk to my doctor tomorrow about the constipation, I've only taken 2 Bisacodilo 5mg pills, yesterday, which have temporarily worked, but now I have a dull pain that makes lying on my back very uncomfortable, not sure how I am going to sleep as I can't sleep on my side, I'm hoping to take a paracetamol soon as I read this should help, it appears the side effects of Tramadol- is constipation so not sure how I avoid it, if I want to remain pain free on the knee.
All this pain sucks, I had none of these issues on my first replacement so it really shows that every knee is different:gaah:
 
Right folk - I'm going to take a paracetamol and try to get some sleep:yawn::sleep: as tomorrow morning I am having my first post surgery consultation with my surgeon and I need to be bright eyed and bushy tailed especially if they are going to remove the staples :yikes: - Sweet dreams to everyone xx
 
@Mrty2019 i am also trying to do more cooking. I have to do it in short intervals. I am 4 Mon out and still can’t be on my feet for long, 20-30 min max.
I have as much trouble standing as I do walking. I have really struggled with all aspects of getting ready for Christmas this year and it has been stressful.
I am looking forward to our family Christmas and seeing the excitement of our grandkids, especially the 3 yr old!
 
I despised the compression hose, both times. My only memory of the LTKR is poorly controlled pain and dagnabbit compression hose. I wore them for several weeks.

Staple removal is not comfortable but the sensation fades almost immediately. I did get some relief from pulling after they were removed. Hope your session goes well.
 
My appointment with surgeon went very well this morning, we have altered my medication and I am to cease taking the Tramadol ( Skudexa- due to the side effects) plus I'm to take a laxative, (Laevolac 15ml sachets) twice a day until my symptoms clear.
I have the ok to ditch the compression stocking at night, although he would like me to wear them during the day until my next appointment, I'm to carry on with the lovenox injections :nah:
Regarding the incontinence, if this doesn't cease by our next consultation, then he wants me to see a urologist.

The nurse removed all the staples, no pain or discomfort whatsoever, she was really sweet and chatted the whole time to take my mind of it, before I knew it they were out. In 3 days time I'm to remove the plaster.

My incision looks good and I'm feeling much more positive, hopefully this will continue.

Upon asking if I could start PT, he answered whatever for, your knee will heal fine on its own, no PT is needed, your day to day activities is all it needs but if you insist no problem :heehee:
 
20211215_102730_copy_867x1156.jpg

Prior to staples removal.
 
Upon asking if I could start PT, he answered whatever for, your knee will heal fine on its own, no PT is needed, your day to day activities is all it needs
Oh, wow,I really wish my surgeon had felt this way. He had me so stressed out about the PT! :hairpulling:
 
I agree Jockette! Around here, I think all the docs act like success only happens if you work work work that knee and do weeks of PT. I’ve had people say, you’ll do good if you work hard and do your PT.
 
Feel differently without the staples Sara61? When you say in 3 days time remove the plaster- what does that mean? We may need another photo :) How are you feeling about ditching the Tramadol? Pain level tolerable with Tylenol?
 
I was also wondering what the plaster was. Sounds like you had a good report except for the incontinence. Hoping that resolves soon.
impressed with your surgeon’s view on PT
 
@Sks1997 just a simple plaster ( see photo, ) I think to protect the incision for a few days, I've instructions not to wet in for 3 days then on the 4th to remove it myself.
Yes, this surgeon has always had this opinion even on my first surgery in 2019, I choose myself to do the PT, namely it gets me out of the house, and it helps me with walking more correctly & as I'm not overly disciplined it makes me do a little exercise too, my therapist is very gentle again uses the BoneSmart approach, I start on the 28th of December which is exactly 3 weeks after surgery x

@Rubyroo Not as yet as plaster still inhibits movement, but I'm sure once I take off the plaster it will ease up a bit.
I'm relieved to be off Tramadol, the side effects this time really hit me badly, not sure why as I had no problems in 2019 - this time the constipation is :yikes:
It Left my lower region sore, heavy and overall not pleasant making lying/sitting really uncomfortable, the stool softner is beginning to work so hopefully in a day or too -I will feel more human, I have been instructed to drink 1.5 lts Of water per day :heehee: lol that will really help with the incontinence- vicious circle :scratch:

@hawk2go I think I was just fortunate to pick a excellent surgeon I'm sure there are others with different opinions x
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    20211223_091610_copy_867x1156.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 146

Members online

Back
Top Bottom