Guest viewing is limited

TKR 2nd knee, 2nd recovery

Congratulations!! Excellent news about your recovery today! It’s so great to get a good progress report and get to sleep on your side as a reward! So very happy for you.
 
Really great recovery report at just 2 months. Keep up the good work and continue being kind to yourself.

Did your OS measure your ROM (asking for a friend)?
 
132! Rock on Gumby!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    6EE4C977-A0B9-4933-AC5C-231FC0F8BF67.jpeg
    11.3 KB · Views: 172
@hawk2go I'm just at the one month post surgery.
Yes the surgeon and the hospital PT both did my ROM separately, they have an app on their phone that measures it, both showed 132 ROM

Thank you all for your up lifting comments xxx
 
Last edited:
Trying not to run before I can walk, however one month at home mostly indoors as weather hasn't been great, I'm getting the good old cabin fever feeling and trying my hardest not to join the odic club.
I have now progressed to using one elbow crutch, funnily the PT commented that my walk is far better with just the 1 crutch, I seem to walk straighter, this I noticed too, plus life is easier as you have a free hand to carry things.
After yesterday's session my knee was fine, although we didn't do a great deal at PT just a few lower leg raises & 10 minutes on the static bike, other than the normal grumble at bedtime my knee does not hurt, but it feels rather stiffer this morning today I will do 2 x 10 minutes on my mini peddler at home and try a few leg raises too with plenty of icing in between - I might join my husband on a mini shopping trip this afternoon but will see how I'm feeling by then.
Nights are still the worst as just cannot find a comfy position and frequently wake up with a pain/stiffness as I've been lying in a awkward position, however it's momentarily and if I don't fiddle with the phone or light switch I usually nod off again.
Wishing you all a good non eventful relaxing day xx
 
An app on your phone??? where can one get this app?

Yay on the getting rid of the compression hose and the needle sticks!! :happydance:

I'm still having a bit of pain and stiffness during the night, even at 4 months. That dead weight of lifting The Knee while I turn over and/or adjust the pillow, it's stiff and a little sore until I settle back into a new position. This too shall pass!
 
@Susie-Q Yes, all our doctor & physiotherapists use their phones to measure the ROM, funnily there is a post on BoneSmart back in 2012 someone mentioned an app that was compatible with the IPhone but not sure that link still works, I'm sure if you Google or look in your playstore on your phone you might find one.

Although I have a great ROM and sitting with my knee bent is very comfortable, I'm finding that moving it from one position to the other, meaning going from being straight to bending it is really hard, my skin feels like it is stretching to its limit, and I have to do this movement really slowly as otherwise its quite painful, I assume this is due to the swelling and with time should ease off I'm sure my other knee was just the same, but our memories are very selective when it comes to pain & movements.

I've noticed that on one or two occasions that it has slightly buckled when I'm using just 1 crutch so not sure if this is normal maybe my knee is not strong enough just yet - have any of you experienced this ?

I didn't venture shopping today, decided at the last minute to let my MIL & husband do it alone, partly as it was quite cold outside and mostly I liked the idea of having the house to myself :eyebrows: however it would probably have done me the world of good but there is always tomorrow.
 
@Sara61 perhaps your slight knee buckling was in the afternoon or after doing PT? Tiredness or overdoing it could also cause the knee to give you a sensation of slight buckling when using the single elbow crutch- when I was first switching from 2 crutches to one crutch I found I had some days where I needed to use the 2 crutches in the afternoon/evening, eventually it stopped happening( ahem, until my setback)
Shopping can be costly but peace and quiet- priceless!
 
Yep it was in the afternoon on both occasions, as you said it could be from tiredness, it makes perfect sense, I think I'll take your advice and revert to two crutches in the afternoons xx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm finding that moving it from one position to the other, meaning going from being straight to bending it is really hard, my skin feels like it is stretching to its limit, and I have to do this movement really slowly as otherwise its quite painful,
I still experience this after a long time with my leg straight. I sometimes have to ease it into bend with my hands. Sometimes the same going from long time bent to straight, without the skin stretching. The pain passes quickly and functionality returns once I do that manual shift but it's a bit frustrating because it feels I am close to being able to not focus on The Knee as I go about my daily routine. Soon come now.
 
Thrilled myself to bits today, finally I'm able to sit at my table and paint, my knee seems happy enough bent although I do get up from time to time to stretch it. As some of you are aware I do painting by numbers, a hobby I started at the beginning of Covid 2020 and thoroughly enjoy it, its a great stress buster and at the end I have some lovely pictures on my walls at home. Frequently I change the colours and occasionally I do my own thing, my last painting (attached) I did by free hand but I like the simplicity of the pbn.
Hoping tomorrow I won't pay the price and be in the odic :praying:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    20211116_111755_copy_600x800.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 161

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom