TKR 2nd knee, 2nd recovery

Sarah, please mention the pain level to your PT on Thurs. Mine believed in gentle PT but always wanted to know how I felt that night and next day. If I had the pain you've experienced, he would dial back the next session and build up more slowly. As you say, pain just tends to set you back and PT doesn't have to be (and shouldn't be) painful during or after.
 
@Sara61 How are the mouth ulcers? Better I hope! Thinking of you. I’m sorry you are in pain & feeling stressed out. Keep your chin up honey. Sending prayers & hugs!
 
Good Morning Bone Buddies
What a difference going back on the Tramadol has made, had a jolly good night's sleep only awakening at 6am, since I got the ok to sleep on my side and (the exception to the rules) I'm allowed to put a pillow under the knee the night was far more comfortable.
I've reduced the dosage and added a tummy protector so hopefully the side effects I earlier suffered will not happen again.
Yesterday I went to PT, we discussed a suitable programme which will not include any pain, I suffered no pain from Yesterday's session at all, knee actually feels less stiff and the bend comes easier this morning all in all I'm feeling pretty much more positive today ( that's what a good night's sleep & adequate medication does ).
Today a relatively quiet day, we will spend New Year at home just the 3 of us, unfortunately all municipal festivities have been cancelled due to the virus.

In Portugal its traditional to eat Shell fish on the last night of the Year, I have two fresh crabs ready to stuff, and some tiger prawns to grill, these will be marinated in beer, garlic and fresh chillies, then grilled outside on the bbq, this will then be served with a Winters Salad.
Champagne will have to wait until the Spring :martini:

MIL will stay with us till middle of January, Carlos is unable to organise help for her at her home till then, and we haven't the heart to abandon her, not ideal but it's only for a couple more weeks.
Hopefully now my pain level is more under control I will be less stressed about everything, pain does tend to rule every aspect of our minds and thoughts.

Wishing all my BoneSmart Buddies a Very Happy New Year, with great health, healing, happiness & lots of peace & Love may 2022 be a changing Year for us all.
Love Sarah xx:happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:
 
So happy to hear you are doing better and feeling less stressed. What a difference when pain is controlled!
Happy New Year to you and your family! Hoping 2022 is better for us all!
 
A Happy New Year...
[Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
 
So glad you have the pain under control. That makes such a huge difference!

We'll be ringing in the new year in our jammies with our pets too.

:happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4: :dogsniff::kittymilk::kitty:
 
@Sara61, I am so happy for you that you got your pain relief sorted and got a good nights sleep. It’s funny how clearly you can think after a good nights sleep- you sound like things are moving in the right direction.
Wishing you and yours the happiest and healthiest of New Years!
:happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:
 
Add my family onto the jammies & pets! We usually stay home & just have a quiet, fun New Year’s Eve.
I have not been onto the forum for a few days, so have missed your latest posts @ Sara61. I hope you are feeling and resting much better. And also that your canker sores are improving & soon just a thing of the past. Do try to get some rest when you can, you are still very early in the recovery. My TKR was Oct 6, & my cleanout surgery Nov 21. I am just recently really feeling really good without napping during the day, and sleeping well at night. ( the Knee hurts when I first get up, but is always better as I move around). I try really hard to stay out of the ODIC corner, but not always easy. You have a lot going on, just try to be kind to yourself as you heal. I agree with all that’s been said here. I’ll be keeping you in my prayers.
@ SKS1997, I hope your son is better, and that his babies “ just” have colds (colds are so hard on the little ones). I’ll definitely be keeping your family in my prayers.
I hope everyone has a good New Year to look forward to.... new knees ! It’s been worth it, even tho sometimes really hard. Keeping that in mind helps keep the focus for me. Big hugs to everyone, wish I could do it in person.....
 
Happy 1st of January to you all. Last night I managed to stay awake (just) until midnight, although I didn't see any fireworks I heard them in the distance, I also got a call from my daughter at midnight too, so 2021 ended on a good note :banana-santa:

Today pretty much have taken it easy, my husband cooked a delicious lunch " Arroz de Pato ( duck in rice ) and the afternoon was spent sitting in the sun.
Today I've noticed my knee doesn't need assistance to lift it on and off the bed, a small achievement but nevertheless for me it's a step forward.
Pain thankfully now under control.
Hope everyone is having a good start to 2022.
Big hugs to all xx
 
@Sara61 Congrats on having such a lovely first day of the new year!
I am so pleased for you being able to lift the knee on and off the bed without assistance and that your pain levels are now controlled knowing how high your pain levels have been recently , all these small achievements add up and should be celebrated!
You are rocking it( yes, I know it’s an old fashioned turn of phrase but I like it):bow:
Great big virtual hug:friends:
 
So glad to hear your New Year has started off on a positive note with pain finally managed and more strength and ability to lift your leg. Hopefully all steady progress forward from now on. Bound to be setbacks as we all know so very well but with luck they will be short!! Happy New Year!
 
Crikey I'm almost 1 month post surgery where did the time go to:chinstroke:, tonight thankfully was my last lovenox injections, I shan't be sorry to not have my husband injecting me daily at 7pm, my tummy is various shades of purple, blue and black & looks like I have been in a boxing match with Mike Tyson :heehee: On Wednesday, I have my one month post surgery consultation with my surgeon, he had expressed the wish that I go in crutchless, however my physiotherapist would prefer, I continue to use the two until I perfect my gait, as I'm still limping as the bend does not as yet come naturally.
My Knee is doing ok, still quite a lot of swelling, especially if I overdo things, I tried cooking lunch today but by the time it came to eat it, my knee had swollen quite badly, so maybe I'm not quite ready for cooking just yet :eyebrows:.
One other difference between my two knees - Thankfully no Clicking sound on my new right knee, just as well as the left is still noisy :wink:
Hope you are all having a good day too xx
 
Last edited:
Wow... that sounds like you are doing well! I’m just now really getting in the kitchen for anything really serious, & my cleanout surgery was Nov 22. You sound like you’re doing well. I did get a helpful reminder just a bit ago from @jaspa... basically, to not be afraid of naps, so I’m passing it along to you. If I go too hard, my body will let me know to not fight it. And, if that doesn’t work, my husband will gently “ sit on me” by saying, “you’re going a little hard....time for a nap” . And, after falling asleep for an hour or 2, I realize he was right! And, so happy for you that you are done with injections. That’s wonderful progress. A nice New Years gift. Have a wonderful 2022.
 
@Sara61 yay no more tummy injections- we call them bee sting injections here for obvious reasons:gaah:
Don’t forget when cooking at the stove quite a long time is spent standing and stirring and adding and tasting and……then your knee swells and your spot on the ODIC bench is ready for you today Ma’am!
I am sure Carlos can handle it for a while more:wink:
Hopefully all goes well on Wednesday at the OS, will be thinking of you.
 
Whoohoo- Had my one month post surgery consultation today, finally I'm free of the compression stockings, he is happy with his handiwork and my scar is healing nicely. My ROM is amazingly good at 132, the extension is at 4.
He would like me to just use one crutch from now on making sure that I walk correctly & I'm good to continue with very gentle PT if I want, although he says its not really necessary in his opinion.
I'm to expect the Stiffness for a while yet, I have the ok to sleep sidewards using a pillow in the middle although he says I will probably change positions frequently as the leg whilst swollen will feel awkward and tight, he suggested that I massage the knee daily using a moisturiser - bio oil is fine.
My next appointment is at the beginning of March,I'm hoping to be able to drive by then.
So all in all a positive day xx
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom