Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR 2nd hip replacement

It’s too early for the treadmill. You’re only a tad over three weeks into recovery and I can’t imagine your surgeon would give you the okay until at the very least 6 weeks, but more likely two or three months post op. You do not want to fall now. When you begin you’ll have to go slow and easy, without an incline initially. Contact your surgeons office for their advice, or wait until your next post op visit to find out what they advise.
Happy Thursday :wave:
@Tesjohn
 
Thanks @Layla…..staying away from treadmill for. Few weeks. Relying on my own stamina. If it feels
right ok , if not stop. Went off pain pills. Don’t like all the new strange feelings and pains I did not have before. I guess the pills masked more than I realized. Doesn’t matter., not going back to them but I feel like I was put through the ringer. Chills, cakes and sooooo tired!!!!!.
 
Just touching base. Was 4 weeks Monday and I think I’m doing pretty darn good.. watching timelines, some are doing better than me and some not as good but we are all pretty close, I think. Totally off the pain meds except for ibuprofen. Walking pretty well. NeEd gait improvement. Biggest problem after sitting, upon rising, still getting sharp pains til i get a few steps in. Thought that would have improved a little more by now. All in all can’t do much complaining and for me…that’s pretty good! I am kind of a big baby, chronic complainer.
 
Those annoying startup Stutter Steps :oyvey: It was the same for me for many months after my BTHR.
Some easy does it marching in place and light stretching seems to help
I think you are doing very well, friend.
This is the boring, and frustrating part of recovery for sure.
All temporary so keep listening to your body and stay out of the dreaded O.D.I.C. (0verdid it Club)

Hope your Sunday is Sweet!:flwrysmile:
 
Stuttering steps???? Is that what it is? It has gotten worse. Thought the worst was done and over. After patting myself on the back, tonight is a night of despair. Did not expect this. I really am in tears and possibly what you said…ODIC. Large ice pack and sooooo uncomfortable. Sleep does not coming easily. To think 5 days ago I was bragging….. I do remember some setbacks from last time but I think this is worse….although time, and it has been 3 years, dulls the memories.
I’m sad, depressed, sore, sick to my stomach..Actually thought of going back to pain meds.But I have been off them well over a week. Guess , just sitting here feeling sorry for myself wishing I could shake this. Honestly don’t remember this,,,,,,,thought I had this whole thing licked…..:bawl::beg::boohoo:Going to be one long awful night. Just needed to vent….
 
Last edited:
Oh @Tesjohn why would you not take some pain meds? That sounds like unnecessary suffering to me. You have pain meds just for this type of night. You are barely 4 weeks out.
I think we've all had our ODIC moments, it makes me sad to think you would suffer through a very uncomfortable night when you don't need to. :console2:
Our recoveries aren't always smooth sailing.. you aggravated some of the soft tissues.. it will pass..

I'm sorry you are in despair..
 
Last edited:
Reminder.. This is how our recoveries tend to go...

[Bonesmart.org] 2nd hip replacement
 
I’m sorry to read you’re feeling so down. I do agree with, CricketHip, that suffering without some type of pain relief is unnecessary. If you don’t want to take your prescribed meds, at least take some Extra Strength Tylenol while you’re dealing with this pain episode. Hopefully with sound sleep, rest and ice, you’ll bounce back quickly.
May today be better than yesterday. :SUNsmile:
@Tesjohn
 
Biting the bullet.. Not waiting for it to get any worse tonight!!!!!! You guys are right. I am only punishing myself. Taking the meds to stave off the worst of it. Ice, ice baby….and sleep….if at least you get sleep it makes everything easier to handle. Did really overdue it….thought I was over the worst and got kind of carried away. I was not elevating like I should have and skipped icing…..had some increased swelling because of it…hence the pain and still backwards on the walking. I am back to dreading those first few steps. I did not stop the exercising though. Still doing those twice a day. God….you people are lifesavers…..you help put everything into perspective and make it a little more tolerable❤️
 
I’m so glad you will get back to some better self care, you deserve the best! :friends:
 
Hugs Tesjohn, :friends:
We all have our days this early on. Glad you’re willing to dial it back.
Wishing you lots of comfort and a relaxing weekend!
@Tesjohn
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary, Tesjohn.
I hope you’re enjoying steady progress and I’m wishing you a lovely Thanksgiving.
Let us know how it’s going as time allows. :wave:
@Tesjohn
 
I am back. August Hotshot… Had a right hip replacement on August 23,, 2021. Did not make out too well. The replacement joint has moved and is causing a lot of pain and a constant limp. Doctor has scheduled a revision for July 25th. Said it is the best thing to do. Does not know why it is separating and cannot guarantee it will not happen again. Had a left hip replacement a few years ago without complications. I am scared silly right now. Is there someone here that has had a revision that wants to share any info with me. Is it harder to heal after the revision???? Or is it pretty much the same as what we already went through with the replacement???? Should I be posting elsewhere on this sight or is this the best place for now???? I know I have been a member here but a bit rusty . Need a little refresher.
 
To show just how worried I am, I have my own hips reversed. It’s the left hip I just had done recently. The right one was in 2018. Already having two knee replacements and two hip replacements you would think I would be better at this.
 
Hi @Tesjohn
It‘s nice to hear from you, but I’m sorry it’s under the circumstances.
It’s been less than a year since your Left THR so we‘ve have merged todays update with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting, so please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

I am wondering if you considered, or received, a second opinion and whether your surgeon is a revision specialist? If it were me, hearing that your surgeon doesn’t have full confidence in your upcoming revision would make me feel a bit apprehensive about him. Is this the same surgeon that performed your Right THR?

I will link a number of Hip Revision threads for you to look through and I’m sure others will stop by to offer support or share their stories.

Would you like us to change your thread title to reflect your upcoming revision? If so, please select a title, leave it below and we’ll edit accordingly.
I wish you comfort and all the best as you move forward.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/hip-surgery-recovery-area.5/?prefix_id=142
 
@Tesjohn
If you’d like us to add your knee surgeries to your signature please leave the dates for each knee below. Thanks!
 
@Layla …..the surgeon who is doing the revision is the same surgeon that did both replacements..And is a revision specialist. I am very apprehensive but I do think he is a good surgeon even though he is perplexed by the movement. Have had nuclear bone scans and other tests. If I change the theme of my post will my background all stay in tact. I like having everything in one place. I guess just changing it to Hip Revision would help me find others who are having revisions easier.
 
Thanks for the dates, we’ll add them to your signature.
I am glad to hear your surgeon is a revision specialist. Prayers for an uneventful surgery and perfect healing this time around. How about if I change your thread title to Tesjohn’s Hip Revision, all else will remain the same? Did you tap / click on the link in blue I left to open all of the Hip Revision threads to read?
@Tesjohn
 
I did not have time yesterday but going there now. Once again…thanks for being there.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom