Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR 2nd hip replacement

I specifically told my surgeon that I didn't want staples. He seems to have done a good job with glue. What wasn't so good was the steristrips over the three incisions where the probes went (Mako procedure). They didn't pull the sides together and basically healed up open. I've got a neat row of pink Os along my hip bone. I'll be er, 'discussing' this with the surgeon at the 8 week telephone follow up.
 
Good Evening:beer: so staples are gone, it wasn’t as bad as I thought. Glad to have them gone. I know @Chessie, it is next to impossible to put those stocking on without help. Was glad thear him say that I have no swelling so I could throw them. They are already in the can…lol. It’s night time, not my best time of day. I have all sorts of new pings, pinches, stabs, etc. Maybe cause I am using the steps. And then again…it just goes with the territory…every day is different.
Hope you are all having a good day. Enjoy your evening. I’m tired
 
On the staples versus glue issue:
I have just had my second hip replacement with the same surgeon who did the first 9 years ago. Then he used staples but this time glue. I was very happy about this in terms of the experience - I have already had a shower which last time wasn't allowed until the staples were out. In terms of final outcome - it's wait and see. Last time I was left with a very neat scar. The only trouble is he uses the posterior approach and wound isn't that accessible. The dressing will need changed twice and my husband is a total wus with any kind of gore. Just hoping it won't be too gory!
I have escaped the dreaded socks both times and do daily blood thinning jags. They leave a deep purple mark each time so thinking of getting creative and making a dot-to-dot picture!
 
Dot to dot picture….:heehee: That’s funny…..
my sister just had posterior and I had anterior, I did not see much difference in either of our recuperation. Seems we were on a pretty even keel. I guess it is the doctors preference….
 
I specifically told my surgeon that I didn't want staples. He seems to have done a good job with glue. What wasn't so good was the steristrips over the three incisions where the probes went (Mako procedure). They didn't pull the sides together and basically healed up open. I've got a neat row of pink Os along my hip bone. I'll be er, 'discussing' this with the surgeon at the 8 week telephone follow up.

Well that sucks. I would be "discussing" that as well!!
 
Dot to dot picture….:heehee: That’s funny…..
my sister just had posterior and I had anterior, I did not see much difference in either of our recuperation. Seems we were on a pretty even keel. I guess it is the doctors preference….

Not exactly. Usually the anterior is a much faster recovery, because no muscles are cut - the muscles are "pushed around" for sure, but not cut. In a posterior procedure, the main incision is through the gluteus maximus, so the recovery usually is longer and often more difficult. Anterior usually has few restrictions, if any. However, if the patient waits to have surgery until they are unable to walk without assistance, or in a wheelchair, even an anterior surgery can mean a long recovery. Also, heavier patients (meaning, overweight) generally require the posterior surgery due to the difficulty of frontal access. My Dr. actually will not perform surgery if the patient's BMI is over a certain number. (He performs only anterior.)

All that said, the anterior is a more challenging procedure, surgically. The posterior is the well-known standard, and is probably still a more common procedure.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for that information Chessie. So does anterior and minimally invasive refer to the same procedure then?
I had understood that recovery is quicker with these relative to posterior so was surprised that Tesjohn and her sister had similar experiences.
I had my posterior op on Friday and my neighbour had her anterior op today so it will be interesting to compare notes. I had assumed her recovery will be quicker.
Mine is a second hip replacement and I can't quite believe how much better things are this time around. It's less than a week and I can get about the house without crutches. Admittedly with a limp, so I make myself use crutches to improve gait. Also the pain is nothing compared to the ongoing agony last time! Hope I haven't jinxed it saying this!!!
 
I’m here today with a new problem. I am coughing up some green phlegm. Terrible taste. Normally I would think I was getting a cold but it doesn’t feel right. It’s not a lot, maybe once every hour or so and it’s only a slight amount. No other symptoms til right now…..I have a headache. Maybe not even connected. No fever. The cough started on Friday. My voice sounds like I have a cold….it’s really weird. So I should call someone and just ask to be on the safe side, but do I call my regular doctor or my surgeon? I am probably getting concerned about nothing.
 
My sister is overweight. I guess that is the answer. Thanks for the info. i Was surprised, but it makes sense. My sister is one of the strongest people I know. She can endure pain much better than I. Better than most people iI know. She has been through a lot and bounces back..Great for you @lovegardening. To be on and off the crutches already is wonderful. Glad you are doing so well. I went from a
walker to crutches and was doing great and then, don’t know why, all of a sudden I took I got a sharp pain with every step. Took a break and went back to walker. Yesterday i used the crutches all day. Got around like crazy…got a lot done. I was so happy..then I had a terrible night, could not find a comfy spot and today I cannot use them again!!!!!!! Back to walker….frustrating:shrug::shrug::tantrum2:
 
Last edited:
@Tesjohn has the cough eased? Any fever? These are uncertain times. If in doubt please call your PCP.

Remember - recovery does not happen in a straight line. I think this is a great illustration:

[Bonesmart.org] 2nd hip replacement
 
@Tesjohn interestingly, especially since I see that we live in the same state, it may be a nasty cold or virus that is getting passed around. My husband has it and he is miserable. Severe sore throat, earache and sinuses are a mess. The Dr put him on antibiotics as he's definitely fighting an infection.
I'm hearing this from other people, too.
I would definitely get that checked out though, just in case it's related to the surgery or Covid :flabber:
Oh and my husband has tested negative for Covid, thank goodness and also negative for strep.

He did a drive by for the Covid test and they did a rapid and then the longer taking test.
 
The cough is the same. Really not that bad. If the phlegm was not so green and so awful tasting, I would not even worry about the little that I’m bringing up. only because of the surgery. No fever, no chills and my daughter brought a co-vid test and it's negative. I wasn’t concerned about co-vid but she wanted to rule it out. I have a call in to my dr and waiting for a call back. Just in case of infection I wanted to stop it quickly. Yes, in our area there are a lot of people sick….summer colds and those people are having a hard time. Thankfully, I am not anywhere in the condition they are. Any the recovery road is so accurate….what we hoped and what we get are soooooo different. Loved the graph…..…..hope your husband feels better quickly….
 
Sorry you’re dealing a cold as you recover from surgery. Hopefully it’s short lived.
Feel better soon!
@Tesjohn
 
Keep us posted @Tesjohn ? No fun at any time, but especially after surgery!
 
Just touching base……not much new to tell. Still coughing up phlegm. Did not turn into anything else. Dr said it’s probably viral and should run it’s course…….don’t know how long this course will take…it’s about a week and a half now. No other problems to go with…..no fever, no chills….just the coughing. Eventually it will be gone, I guess. The hip is progressing nicely. Normal aches, pinches, pulls, etc. Little groin pain comes and goes. Two spots that are very tender…maybe there are muscles there cause the pain seems deep, but it’s not constant…. Do not use walker at all,,,,yay! Can even do a few things close around me without cane. I think, it’s three weeks today, that all seems pretty good. Walking quite a bit, one day at a time, one step at a time. Kind of nice to post on here with all good news:happydance::dancy::curtsey:
 
Oh yes, sleeping in bed on my back was awful. At 6 weeks post, I can sleep on both sides.


And ouch to staples! I had surgical tape that washed off over the past month. I can only imagine how painful staples are.

There‘s a device on amazon called Sock Aid. Works like a charm to get any socks on. I started wearing the compression sock on my surgery leg only.
 
Now that is a good update @Tesjohn. Good for you and long may it continue.
I hope your cough continues to improve.
 
When I had to wear those stockings for 3 weeks, I simply showered with them on, they dry really fast!
 
One more question…….seeing as I am not going out for physical therapy, as I did not last time either, relying on walking and doing a little of my own thing, does anyone know if and how to tackle a treadmill. As I do live on the second floor and it’s not always easy to get out, i was wondering if they introduce a treadmill into therapy if you go for it. :umm::whistle:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom