Revision THR 2nd hip replacement

@Layla ….wow! I read my old posts….you were so good for me back then and here you are again…..thanks! Reading my old posts made me realize that all these things are familiar….not pleasant but definitely memorable…especially the groin pain that i experienced….it’s awful, but temporary as with all of it. not temporary enough…lol
i stayed in the recliner last time and will do so again. I am staying with my daughter this time because when it was time to come home I did not want to make all those steps to get into my apartment! Just could not face them. I may go home this week-end so I hope I waited long enough. Still have time to think about the trip…can wait til the last moment.
 
Last edited:
@CricketHip, I hear you about being comfortable at home. My RV has a rather uncomplicated set-up. The bathroom is easily accessible, in fact, it would be easier for me there….at home I have a bathtub,(whirlpool) so it’s hard to get my leg up and in. It Was difficult before surgery, going to be a little harder now. In the RV I just step into the shower. The steps, I’m not looking forward to, but there is only 4. Two outside folding and the two inside. BUT, we are going with other people and I don’t want to be unsociable by keeping inside to myself. The ride, four hours, doesn’t thrill me either. We made the reservations a year ago without realizing surgery would be so close, and if I waited on the replacement I would have had to wait too long. One minute I think I can handle it and the next I think it’s a ridiculous idea to go…..still lots of pain unless I have a miraculous week-end!!!!!!
 
Reading my old posts made me realize that all these things are familiar….not pleasant but definitely memorable

Yes, you’re right. You did it before and I have faith you’ll do it again. :yes:

The thought of the RV trip still makes me nervous for you, but you’ll have to be the judge of that. Four hours is a long drive. Obviously you could make stops to get out and stretch, but you also need to feel completely comfortable being around people if you’re in pain, feeling miserable and need to lay around inside the RV. Do you think you could get comfy enough in the RV if you’re having a bad day?
 
I feel for ya on the constipation thing. I was happy that my Dr. preferred that his patients not take the percoset unless they really are unable to manage the pain without it. It never occurred to me that I would NOT need it and actually would be able to do without, as this is my 2nd replacement and I certainly used it the first time. I was not looking forward to that part of recovery (the bathroom issue!).

I took only Tylenol and an anti-inflammatory, and that was really all I needed. No bathroom issues at all this time thank goodness.

As far as the camping, I have had a pretty quick and easy recovery, but I'm not sure I would have wanted to do a camping trip at 2 weeks. That does seem a bit aggressive. I am 5 weeks out, and am going camping this weekend, and I have no reservations at all (I am doing great) but 3 weeks ago, well that would probably have been a NO for me at that time.

Whatever you decide, please be careful and have a good time.
 
One minute I think I can handle it and the next I think it’s a ridiculous idea to go…..still lots of pain unless I have a miraculous week-end!!!!!!

My opinion is, if you are still having pain or even discomfort, stay home. Mainly because if you go and things get worse you will be so mad at yourself and I'd hate for you to have those regrets.
There will be more camping trips with friends,, ones where you will be fully participating and enjoying yourself. ((hugs))
 
Well, I did the smart thing and postponed leave date. If I feel better later I can go later. Will have a cookout at the rv and sit by the fire. Sounds good. I switched from the cane to the walker for 2 days. I was doing really well, I thought but today I have pain every step…back to the walker for a day or two. Other than that, I’m not having a really bad time right now. I did notice I stand completely different with each. Harder to stand tall with the cane and that hurts more . Does that make sense?
 
@Tesjohn …. Just checking in to see how you’re doing. Hopefully the burning pain has subsided.

I’m five weeks post surgery and I still take a half to one hydrocodone pill a day usually in the afternoon when everything seems to start hurting . It really does take the edge off of all the weird painful sensations that I still have. Tylenol does nothing for me. I do take diclofenac but that doesn’t relieve actual pain.
 
I agree that the level of support is different between using a cane vs. the walker. If your posture changes that much then I would guess that it's too soon for the cane. You are in the stage where the most important muscle is your patience muscle...:)

So pleased to read that you can postpone the start date of your camping trip!
@Tesjohn
 
Well, I did the smart thing and postponed leave date. If I feel better later I can go later. Will have a cookout at the rv and sit by the fire. Sounds good. I switched from the cane to the walker for 2 days. I was doing really well, I thought but today I have pain every step…back to the walker for a day or two. Other than that, I’m not having a really bad time right now. I did notice I stand completely different with each. Harder to stand tall with the cane and that hurts more . Does that make sense?
Yes, it totally makes sense. I experienced the same posture changes when I progressed from walker to cane then to no cane. I noticed I stick my rear out when I walk without the cane and its worse with the cane so been trying to adjust my posture and went to focusing heel strike first when walking and it is making a difference. The hip flexors are stiff.
I also went back to the walker after graduating to the cane. I find the cane to be harder on posture. All sounds normal?
 
@CricketHip …yup, the best thing to do was put it on hold…. Especially because of one day you feel like you can conquer the workd and the next day you can’t get off your chair. To many different phases to go through. I probably would have been sorry and ruined a vacation for everyone else. Better to get better first. It is way too soon to go away.
@Starmarie I think the day I used the cane i overused it, with bad posture and that’s why. The next day Ihad a shooting pain with every step!!!! Like you, With the walker I had my butt way out….and with the cane I stood and walked really weird, today doing well with walker and tomorrow I will try the cane again. Sometimes we just don’t’t think and push to hard. And then we suffer for it!!!
 
Last edited:
I think you've made the right decision. There will be plenty of time to really enjoy a RV trip when you're more fully recovered.
 
Nights are awful……..does anyone else hate to see the nights coming..pain gets worse…cannot get comfortable….if something is going to bother you it’s ten times worse at night!!!!!! Tomorrow… staples come out…hate the thought but will feel better with them gone for sure.
 
Glad you postponed. I think that was the smart thing to do.

I hope your pain improves with the staples out. I wonder why some folks get staples and some just have glue? :chinstroke: Both of my surgeries had the incisions glued.
 
I think the silence and darkness of night can magnify our pain along with ramping up anxiety over whether sleep will come, or prove elusive. The nighttime seems to make us keenly aware of physical sensations. I’m sure you’re also stiff when waking during the night from being in one position too long without moving. I hope you’re taking any meds you were prescribed in the evening if getting comfortable at night is an ongoing issue for you.

What helped me was pillows, lots of pillows, I pretty much surrounded myself with them and used them to rest an arm on, or leg, or whatever felt comfortable. If you’re still in your recliner, wedge a really soft one in on one side. I did this and found it comfortable. Kind of like swaddling a baby, it felt tight / safe in a way.

Concentrate on how good you’ll feel in less than 24 hrs from now with those Frankenstein staples out….woo-hoo!

Happy Two Week Anniversary! Aren’t you happy you have two weeks under your belt already?!! Just think how much better you'll feel once another two pass. :happyfeet:

Wishing you a comfy peaceful evening! :yawn: :sleep:
@Tesjohn
 
I agree about the nights. I used to love going to bed and looked forward to a good night's sleep but now it's like a chore. I lie awake feeling every ache and pain. I only sleep in chunks of time. If I'm lucky they add up to around seven hours (thanks Fitbit!)
Bad luck having staples. I especially asked the surgeon not to use them after my experience of them in my knee replacements. It'll be great having them removed.
 
Had I know about glue I would have asked. Everyone I know had staples. I would have loved not having them. I, too, sleep fitfully..2-3 hours at a time and I pop right up…takes a while to fall back asleep. More pillows coming up, because I plan to spend a few more nights in the recliner….I am still on the pain meds but can go longer between doses….I never wait too long because i don’t want the severe pain back. Got to stay ahead of it….will time the meds to kick in at staple time. what else…the darn white stockings (peds).did you all have to wear them???? My sister came home without them…my doctor has them on……if you had them, how Lon g did you have to wear them?
 
I was supposed to wear those stockings for 5 weeks but gave up at 3 weeks. They were so hot and I was on blood thinners for five weeks so took a chance.
You might be surprised at how quickly you just don't need pain killers by the way.
Have a lovely treat waiting for you after your staple removal. After my 32 were removed from my TKR scar I celebrated with a posh ice lolly and a Pina Colada!
 
A Pina Colada sounds wonderful. Haven't had a cocktail in such a long time…seems like forever….I think I may go for a glass of wine with dinner tonight. Thanks for the reward advice:thankyou: well, it‘s time to get ready….today will be the first I’m going to tackle 23 steps….going down:sos: Came up them without a problem when I came home…so two hurdles today to overcome…steps and staples…:martini: maybe two glasses of wine….lol
 
Had I know about glue I would have asked. Everyone I know had staples. I would have loved not having them. I, too, sleep fitfully..2-3 hours at a time and I pop right up…takes a while to fall back asleep. More pillows coming up, because I plan to spend a few more nights in the recliner….I am still on the pain meds but can go longer between doses….I never wait too long because i don’t want the severe pain back. Got to stay ahead of it….will time the meds to kick in at staple time. what else…the darn white stockings (peds).did you all have to wear them???? My sister came home without them…my doctor has them on……if you had them, how Lon g did you have to wear them?

Socks. Well, I think it is a "just in case" for those few folks that really do have a hard recovery and cannot move around much.

I was told to wear them all the time except at bedtime, for TWO WEEKS. Well that sounded fine except how the hell do they expect you to get them back on once you manage to get them off? :skep: My PT lady said she would put them on for me on the days she came, but that was not that useful either since she was here just 3 times a week (I live alone, my sis stayed 3 days and BF stayed 4, but I was on my own during the week). So, after about 3 days of wrangling with them, I said fahgetabout it and tossed them. :nah: I was barely using the cane by then so it's not like I was not moving all day - I was getting around just fine and never had any swelling at all.
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom