TKR 21 June 2016 & 18 October 2016 Life Begins Again

I did sleep soundly, in between pain pills every 4 hours! October knee likes the recliner at night with my afternoon nap in bed. My expectations for sleep this time around are very low, which has helped emotionally.

I'm struggling with knowing how much to wear the brace. OS likes me to wear it most of the time so knee remains straight. I didn't wear it much the first few days home and knee didn't seem straight enough, so I've been wearing it a lot more the last few days. I don't like to wear it cuz it prevents icing - I'm still quite swollen and bruised all the way from back of knee to ankle, needing lots of ice and elevation. Home PT called to reschedule visit for tomorrow instead of today. I really like my Home PT, whom I requested from June knee's rehab. She always helps with these kinds of questions. Also, October knee feels quite strong, with strong hamstrings and quads. My husband is so pleased that I can do a straight leg lift! He doesn't have to help lift. I think my OCD exercising those last few preop weeks must have really helped.

That's great news about moving into the rehab woot phase! Are you still on oxygen at home? I don't mind it as I know it's temporary. I still feel pretty druggy and only want to rest, so that's all I'm doing. The incision is still leaving little spots of blood on the bandage and I'm not in a rush to do anything. Oxygen is drying out nostrils, giving me a bloody nose. The weather is also changing and we need to occasionally turn on our heat at night. I'm in the 'all these little things are acting up phase', so I'm happy to have drugs so I don't care. :eyebrows:
 
The idea of a home PT is cool! Doesn't exist here, that I know of at least. And when you can, I'm unclear why you need a brace? I also did a lot of exercising the months prior to surgery, once I decided on the date, and trained specifically to be up and at 'me quickly post surgery. Like you found, it seemed to be really helpful for my body, too. Glad to hear you're doing well and resting comfortably!
 
  • Agree
Reactions: TML
My dad found home PT really helpful with his THR last year. It would've been difficult to get him in the car, into PT and then back home again, to say nothing about exhausting. He never did outpatient PT at all. A lot of his PT for the hip was daily activities and how to work around restrictions. I also in home PT after my infection surgery. It was wonderful to not go out in the cold and snow to worry about falling!
 
  • Agree
Reactions: TML
Hey knee-twin. No, I didn't need oxygen at home. Do you have some K-Y jelly (or any water soluble lubricant)?. Cleaning your nose with some plain saline spray (Ocean spray is good), then applying water soluble lubricant will help your nose. You know not to put Vaseline/petroleum based products in nose with oxygen, right? Bed, Bath and Beyond has little personal humidifiers that work nicely (I got one for hubby because he gets dry nosebleeds). I typically avoid humidifiers because of infection potential, but the "personal" humidifier is small and easy to keep clean.

Hang in there. As you saw in my thread, Knee 2 has been more emotionally challenging for me, but at 2 weeks today, I feel like I'm back to myself. Eat what you can. I'm making high protein smoothies, adding banana, kale, strawberries, and papaya. Those seem to really help my mood. The papaya is an excellent laxative.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
@sheliac i remembered Vaseline was a Nono with oxygen, but didn't remember ky jelly. I'll look for some when I go upstairs to bed.

My fav home PT came today and we did the gentle exercises - no forcing of anything - but I've been in extreme pain ever since. I just realized after talking to hubbie that I'm undermedicated, so I'll add another Norco to the pain cocktail in an hour. I also took a muscle relaxant that's taken the edge off. Yuckie pain. Can't think right now.
 
I hope that extra pill knocked that pain way back. Try not to get off of your schedule. It's rough playing catch up. All in all it sounds like you are doing well.
 
I'm praying for your comfort right now.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Oh, thx buddies for your support! Last night was rough but pain finally got under control early this morning. The additional Norco and muscle relaxant did the trick and have become part of my pill cocktail. I remember encountering similar pain at this stage in recovery with June knee. It occurred as I began my routine of twice daily rehab exercises. It seems like this recovery demands constant adjustment, which is confusing especially for hubbie. I wonder what today will bring . . . :scare:
 
Hey, Knee-Twin. I'm praying for your comfort and a day of peace and healing, as is my Asheville prayer circle.

One thing I learned yesterday (first OP PT)-- I have really been neglecting knee 1, hardly icing it at all and asking it to do the work for its sibling :). I've icing both together from now on. I didn't know it was swollen - can't see the swelling, but PT says it is definetly swollen and I need to treat it like the baby it still is.

I don't want to deal with two ice machines, but am using the large gel packs for knee 1. And PT put that heavenly GameReady on it - that is when I realized it was needed.

Hang in there. Day 14 (yesterday) was when I finally felt I was rehabbing again, instead of feeling sick and on the down part of the roller coaster.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
'''Twas a really good zig day @Floridagal Home PT went very well. She forgot her measuring device but it looks like flexion is close to 90 degrees! I have only been doing exercises for a few days, focusing only on icing and elevating. Pain is totally under control and I took 2 naps. Most importantly, I felt pretty in my new pajamas!

Thx knee-twin for including me in your prayer circle. It's easy to forget knee 1, as knee 2 is screaming louder. You are making progress when you are in OP PT! It's good they reminded you to ice knee 1, much easier to catch swelling early on. Since I'm sleeping in bed now and needing all-night icing for October knee, we dusted off the ice machine I used 2 years ago for my rotator cuff surgeries. We're hoping it still works. Keep your fingers crossed.
 
Good to hear about how both of you are dealing with two knees so close together. What a wonderful spring it will be!
 
  • Agree
Reactions: TML
@BBCG home PT is an additional PT that comes to your home within a few days after discharge from hospital and transitions you to outpatient PT. They help you begin exercising gently and make suggestions in your own home. I've found them incredibly helpful during the first 2-3 weeks before I'm strong enough to safely leave the home for outpatient PT. I'll bet it's available in your area.

Re: the brace, OS puts a brace on after surgery and I wear it in hospital to maintain straightness and safety when getting up. You could probably Google knee brace to see a pic. OS usually has me wear it at home during the night until my first 2-week postop appointment to keep leg straight. It's not very comfortable so I'm not very compliant.
 
Amazing how the protocol varies from OS to OS! I'm so glad your pain is under control. Keep it there.
 
Excellent news! I love that you feel pretty in your nightgown .

Uh.... It seems I managed to shop during the oxy days. An incredibly pretty solid white Victorian gown and robe arrived yesterday . I sleep in flannel pajamas! I will get a pic before I send it back. It is hilarious.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Oh my, @sheliac, I bet you would look beautiful in it. Ask you husband. He might enjoy it, too!
 
Oh @sheliac don't send it back. If you feel pretty in it, you should keep it! :curtsey:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom