TKR 21 June 2016 & 18 October 2016 Life Begins Again

Praise God you made it through OK. It will be so good for you to get back home. Take care and follow, well, you know what to do!
 
Soo happy to hear from you and to know all is well. What a lovely thing to have a nurse ask for you. That drug haze can be overwhelming but now that it's being sorted, you art on your way to two good knees. Rest up and keep us posted.
 
Welcome home, @TML .
I'm glad Knee 2 is done.

Here is a copy of the recovery reading list again - so you have it handy, for reference:
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you. exercise only gently
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs

Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Activity progression for TKRs
Heel slides and how to do them

Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it

Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
Hooray! So glad to hear from you and that you're doing well! Glad they're getting your medication figured out, too! Keep us posted as we're all cheering for you!
 
Great news that they are figuring out your pain medication and that things are going well now. Anyone who has two knees done in such a short time is very brave in my book!! :wow:
 
You are my hero! I need the left one replaced, but do not have the courage to do so yet. You did and now that is behind you!
 
Happy Saturday! I hope you are home and relaxing. TML, I wasn't prepared for the amount of energy drain, especially emotional, that knee 2 triggered. Just a heads up that it might be more significant than knee 1. I've had to learn quickly to lighten up on myself and expectations.

Ice on, knee twin :)


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Yes you are my hero too, along with Sheila and Fla Granny. I can't bear the thought of doing this again. Hope I don't have to, but......
 
Hi to my buddies,
I am 4 days post op - came home yesterday - and Home Therapy came today with the paperwork. I requested a therapist, who I liked a lot on June knee, who will start on Monday. Home PT will come for a total of 2 weeks, 3 times each week, then on to Out Patient PT. I am almost able to do straight leg raises by myself and have quite a bit of flexion.

I've been running a slight fever, which OS said to expect during the first few weeks. Pain varies from 1/10 to 6/10 depending how active I am. October knee is strong and I'm not afraid to use it: I think that's the biggest change between recoveries. I am ecstatic that both knees are done and I can now focus on the bigger picture. I've lost so many years letting this knee control me but no more. I've already signed up with a therapist at the practice that will help map out a plan of strengthening in the Spring. I'm so happy. :yay:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hooray! I think you're brave to do them back to back, I guess, but I'll probably follow you in a year, too, I'm suspecting. It sounds like you are doing well! Straight leg raises and good flex ion are great! I agree with you that it does feel great to not have that hurt knee running the show! I'll be curious to hear what the therapists' strengthening plans willl be come spring, too....
 
So happy to hear your good news and good spirits! In no time you'll be able to visit your granddaughter in Vancouver with two strong knees.

:wowspring:
 
So happy for you!! You are such an encouragement for all of us....keep the faith & good work as your 2nd knee journey has just begun :SUNsmile:
 
Woot!!! You sound amazing. I love that you've mapped out a plan for spring strengthening. I'm doing the same. I am going to get a personal trainer at 3 months -- our Ortho group PT has them and they work at our Y, where there is a therapy pool. I can't wait for that. I'm rolling my eyes that I scheduled myself to be back in Africa in late March. OS told me that without complications, I would be fine (this was in preop planning visit ). I'll be happy to be navigating grocery and walking a couple of miles in Columbus by March!


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Thx, @sheliac I've learned how important stretching and strengthening is to a successful rehab. OS wants me to ride stationary bike and do swim aerobics forever for general conditioning. My PT conditioning in the Spring will show me which exercises will be important for me personally with my physical history. You're ambitious as well - March will be here before you know it. Your devotion is incredible!

Today is day 5 post-op and I'm tired and swollen; bruising is appearing on the back of October knee and leg
(same as June knee). Pain is manageable and I'm napping throughout the day. I'm on oxygen, both night and day, which we expected until I'm off narcotic meds. i decided I'm more comfortable sleeping in the recliner so I just got all settled in for the night. I'm feeling blessed that both knees are done and just need rehab. Wishing everyone a blissful night of sleep.
 
It sounds like you are doing really well and have everything under control.

I am happy for you...Sending you healing thoughts!!!
 
I hope you slept well. I had to have oxygen post op while at the surgi-center. My nurse was apologizing for it, and in my drugged state, I remember saying, "Oh, I really find it quite refreshing" (sadly, I meant it!).

Today is day 13 for me, and yesterday it felt like I made that turning point from feeling debilitated and like a sick patient, into the "ok, now I'm in rehab, woot!, phase". Sounds like you are already there-- woot for your positive attitude! Hugs as well.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom