TKR 21 June 2016 & 18 October 2016 Life Begins Again

Try it on and then take the picture! :heehee:

Fortunately I left all my credit cards out of reach while on my pain meds so no shopping for me.
 
Oh, you two . It's not something a husband would find appealing . It looks like a big white shroud. I do NOT remember ordering it at all, but I checked, and I did. Heads up: you can order thru Amazon prime without your credit card in hand, if you have set up a "remember me" account[emoji15]. It appears I did a little shopping while AT the surgicenter in the middle of the night! No telling what presents I've bought myself . Or others. Christmas should be interesting this year.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
I'll see if I can do a selfie when I go back upstairs. I'm not letting my husband see it. I would never live it down. You could get married in this outfit[emoji35][emoji41]


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Hey! Won't it be fun waiting for surprise packages to arrive. I can't wait to see your pictures. This is a good lesson for all those newbies out there just having surgery.
 
Amazon Prime is way too easy. I've been buying things I never should have. I have no idea even where my card is. I probably cut it up. But, they know what my number is!
 
:flwrysmile:@sheliac I did quite a bit of shopping also during recovery, maybe that should be an additional side effect listed on the oxy :yikes:

@TML I am glad you are feeling better today and pain is more under control
 
I can't wait to see this pic @sheliac . I'm enjoying my 3 new pajama sets so much - home PT thought I could wear the set I had on yesterday to the grocery! :curtsey: I ordered many Xmas gifts online before October knee surgery, so boxes are arriving, mainly for my granddaughter. So far I haven't ordered anything without being aware of it. :fingersx:
 
I just love reading the posts from you ladies. You're laughing and have such great outlooks!! And,lucky you, you're on the other side with knees #2. But, because of a few of you, I've bought the Vionic shoes in slipper style as I don't have slippers (I wear New Balance slipper type tennis shoes as slippers and they are old) and I've bought the Chattanooga chilpac ice packs and love them (stays cold well over an hour) and I've not even gone through my first TKR yet!! (Love Amazon Prime)
 
@TML are you pj sets from Carol Hochman? I have a few and feel so chic wearing them around the house, I could totally see wearing them out! Feeling pretty is important, exhausting, but important and if gorgeous pjs do that I say go for it!

@sheliac I thought we had this talk after the sundress? Oxy and shopping definitely don't go together!

You two must be feeling a bit better and I'm glad to see it! :console2:
 
That sounds great, to have home PT! That seems to not be done here save for double TKR folks who live alone, that sort of thing... I wore a brace pre-TKR to help stabilize me knee, but I just hadn't heard of wearing one post!
 
Some surgeons do ask their patients to wear a brace initially after a TKR. I think they're in a minority, but we've had a few people here who experienced it.

In home PT can be helpful, if it concentrates on helping you to get out of bed and back in, and other early activities of daily living. It's less useful (and unnecessary) if it focuses on exercises.
 
Yeah, the differences are interesting, nobody in my ortho wing was using a brace. And I so agree with @Celle abour what is useful in home pt. Mine really had me focus on gait, best thing she could have done for me. Plus she called my OS office to go to battle for me about taking off those darn Ted hose. (They were strangling my leg.)
 
I had home PT. They kept sending different people. The two who were registered PTs were great. The aides they sent I had a problem with and had no confidence in. They were the ones that wanted to force my ROM. Remember how one falsely accused my sweet dog of biting him. I was happy to go to OP PT to folks who I had confidence in and saw regularly. All in all they didn't help me much. The home nurse was great.
 
All the pt I had was one visit from a at home therapists a few days after my surgery. She had me bend and then wanted to push me more. I politely told her know and she said she was going to tell on me. I said to go ahead. The next time they called to set up a visit I told them I didn't want pt, that I'd do it on my own. And I have and I think I'm doing wonderfully and am truly blessed! And it was without the pain of pt! But, you have had a wonderful therapist and you know what to do and not to do. You will sail through this recovery!
 
Good morning knee-twin. My at home PT this time was a brand new PT and not very helpful (I think he was scared), but it was worth the visits because he broke up the monotony of the day. A very sweet young man -- I had to cancel my last 2 appointments due to my imagined incision infection. I went to front door one morning (to watch the world go by while having a cry). Another package ! But this one was wrapped -- a box of chocolates from him. I think he left it on the stoop so I wouldn't have to struggle to answer the door. Such a kindness when I was feeling so alone. I'll never forget that, ever.

I'll find a place in the social room to post the gown pic. Or maybe we can ask the leaders to start a "funny things that happened after TKR thread" there. Laughter is one of my most effective coping tools-- some days it's hard to laugh, but even one good belly chuckle releases endorphins equivalent to 2 mg morphine (citation needed).


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Shelia, it doesn't need a member of staff to start a thread in the Social Room. You could start it if you want to.
I'd love to see it.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: TML
@jaschembra I'm so glad you're joining in the fun! Looks like your surgery is scheduled for January - you'll be well-informed by then and already have some items on hand to help you. As you can see, we're all different yet similar with our needs and preferences. Thanks for your comment - it really does feel good to be on the other side with 2 good knees. A year ago, I would not have dreamt that I'd be recovering from 2 TKRs within 4 months. It's good to step back and see things from another's point of view. It's easy to get tunnel vision in this recovery.

@KarriB my pj's are DKNY and so cute in the softest knit with a little stretch. I've heard of Carol Hochman - where do you buy them? I am overall feeling really well. It's a funny thing that I'm getting my 2 recoveries mixed up - the drugs are a big part of this memory confusion, I believe. Today, I had to remind myself that I'm only 10 days out from surgery and I've only been home from hospital 1 week. Not bad!

@Floridagal and @sistersinhim and @Celle Regarding outpatient PT, I think the individual therapist really matters (no different than our surgeons or hospitals) and I'm really happy I asked OS which practice, and also, which individual therapist on his recommended list, would he refer his wife to, if she was having a TKR. OS did not hesitate, when I asked him, giving me one name. My PT is very professional, regularly observing my OS' TKR surgeries and shadowing my OS days in clinic. They work very well together and communicate frequently. Regarding home PT for June knee, I liked 1 of the 3 home therapists that came more than the others, so I was able to request her exclusively with October knee; she's been doing home healthcare for 30 years and loves it. She know what works and is helpful and I respect that. She just left and measured my ROM at 95/-5 with no pain. I'm so grateful to have had a top-tier group of caretakers with both knees.

@sheliac what a lovely gift and story. There are so many caring people along this journey. Let me know where that pic gets filed so I can see it! My Xmas present from my hubbie, which is a beautiful red handbag, was delivered yesterday. I took a peek to make sure it's the right one and then told hubbie to hide it. Yeah online shopping!

Monday is my 2-week post surgery checkup. The time has gone by quickly. Hope everyone has a zig type of day.
 
Regarding outpatient PT, I think the individual therapist really matters (no different than our surgeons or hospitals) and I'm really happy I asked OS which practice, and also, which individual therapist on his recommended list, would he refer his wife to, if she was having a TKR.
A good therapist is like gold dust and can be so helpful. I'm glad your surgeon helped you to find one.
 
I found Carol Hochman during my TKR while watching QVC through my sleepless nights. Looking good even when you're home and feeling yucky can certainly lift your spirits. I know I felt better when I looked better, but it didn't happen often.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom