Guest viewing is limited

2017 May Marvels - Are you having hip surgery in May?

@oznut - no, not Kaiser. We have Bronze level Anthem insurance (husb & I are both self-employed). Fortunately, a really great surgeon is in network. Just had my pre-op prep visit with him yesterday. It's starting to get really really real... I still need to get the house ready. Each weekend, I have good intentions to organize and set up the bathroom, but end up out in the garden. Garden's more fun...

Good luck & good wishes for the 19th!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
 
@Scenic route...I just had my RTHR posterior yesterday May 2. I feel good. It seems meds are still in my system.
I too tried to "get house in order" didn't work for me. But like you my heart and intent was in the right place.As time gots closer so did my overehelming need to be outside all the time. So you are right the garden does sound more fun.
I found that my nerves and anxiety in day of surgery was were gone.
 
@oznut Good Morning
Where do you live? I just had a RTHR yesterday at Kaiser Woodland Hills. I feel very good today and even right after surgery. They tell me it is the operating meds wearing off.
I wish you well and a a speedy recovery. I love my surgeon at Kaiser. I think between him, medical staff and meditation is why my anxiety went out the door.
I wish you the best.
Ro
 
@oznut - no, not Kaiser. We have Bronze level Anthem insurance (husb & I are both self-employed). Fortunately, a really great surgeon is in network. Just had my pre-op prep visit with him yesterday. It's starting to get really really real... I still need to get the house ready. Each weekend, I have good intentions to organize and set up the bathroom, but end up out in the garden. Garden's more fun...

Good luck & good wishes for the 19th!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thank you & best to you too! It is a HUGE plus to love your surgeon. I am looking forward to catching some recovery time in my backyard instead of indoors like I had post hip surgery #1 last winter. Do what makes you happy! Keep us posted on your progress....
 
@oznut Good Morning
Where do you live? I just had a RTHR yesterday at Kaiser Woodland Hills. I feel very good today and even right after surgery. They tell me it is the operating meds wearing off.
I wish you well and a a speedy recovery. I love my surgeon at Kaiser. I think between him, medical staff and meditation is why my anxiety went out the door.
I wish you the best.
Ro

I am in NorCal - Kaiser Antioch does all the joint replacements in this service area. I have total confidence in them after my first THR last Novemeber there. I love that they do spinal anesthesia instead of general so you can get up & feel more normal post-op. They even gave me the option to go home same day but I prefer to stay in the hospital overnight....hoping this time I am better prepared & know what to expect.

Are you home now? The biggest challenge for me was a 2 story house - Kaiser provided a hospital bed for 2 weeks until I was allowed to go upstairs once a day.....baby steps but better than painful limping baby steps.

Happy recovery - keep us posted on your progress! :angel:
 
@1GreatGran - Good on you! All good thoughts and wishes for your first few days on the other side! Having confidence in your surgical team and bringing oneself back the present moment (through meditation or anything else) - what a great antidote to anxiety and worry.

Let us know how things progress when you go home. You're in Ventura, right? I'll think of you in the comfy big chair (picture you shared last month). I'm near Camarillo, just down the road; will be going up to Cottage Hospital in Goleta for my THR in a few weeks.

BTW, Kaiser has a website with excellent guided imagery practices from HealthJourneys.com - the same ones recommended elsewhere on BoneSmart. In addition to surgery prep, there are practices for sleep, easing pain, anxiety and a bunch more. It's at kp [dot] org / listen , then go to 'podcasts' and scroll down. You can log in and stream them, non-Kaiser folks can download them (for free!). I've been sending stressed-out college students to this site for years - great stuff.
:flwrysmile:
 
I'm going for hip replacement surgery on my right side on May 9th 2017. I'm 44yo with so much life ahead of me. Thanks and look forward to exploring others stories regarding THP.
 
I've added some new May Marvels and brought the list of surgeries forward to make it easier to see who your partners are in this journey:

01 May 17 moonbeam22, Mojo333 (bilateral)
02 May 17 1GreatGran, Joan
08 May 17 AnneM77 (first hip)
09 May 17 elvatrguy, kayak59
11 May 17 hp thr
15 May 17 AnneM77 (second hip)
16 May 17 maggie23
17 MAY 17 oznut (her second), JAS
19 May 17 houndmom (bilateral)
22 May 17 ScenicRte
24 May 17 kaura

 
Hi,
Scheduled for May 30. Having my left hip replaced. Thanks!
 
Hello - I am scheduled for right THR on May 22nd, with anterior aproach!
 
I've added some new May Marvels, BSA and Hipster023, and brought the list of surgeries forward to make it easier to see who your partners are in this journey:

01 May 17 moonbeam22, Mojo333 (bilateral)
02 May 17 1GreatGran, Joan
08 May 17 AnneM77 (first hip)
09 May 17 elvatrguy, kayak59
11 May 17 hp thr
15 May 17 AnneM77 (second hip)
16 May 17 maggie23
17 MAY 17 oznut (her second), JAS
19 May 17 houndmom (bilateral)
22 May 17 ScenicRte, Hipster023
24 May 17 aura
30 May 17 BSA
 
Hi ...Evening of day 5 of recovery. A couple challenging days, mostly caused by my over doing. Minimal use of meds. Extra strength Tylenol works well. Therapy starts tomorrow, so that may change.
How are you doing?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 
Hi, 1GreatGran - glad to hear from you!

Bummer about those challenging days, must be hard to know how much activity is too much until it's too late! Do you think you're getting more of a feel for when to knock off?

Hope all is well with @Joan, @Mojo333 and @moonbeam22.

Good thoughts and all good luck to @AnneM77, @elvatrguy, @kayak59 & @hp_thr, who are all coming up this week.

I'm all good. Had an OT girlfriend come over today to walk through the house. We played with the walker, sock put-er-on-ers, dressing sticks, reachers - all kind of fun stuff! Just need a nuclear stress test (sounds very fancy!) so a cardiologist can clear me for surgery. It's probably overkill, but I'm going to defer to my surgeon and make him happy. A happy surgeon is a good thing.

Hope you're able to sleep comfortably at night and that you're enjoying your (enforced) leisure during the day!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
 
Hi Everyone

I have been cancelled for the 16th May.
What can I say... I am devastated
 
Oh Maggie I'm sorry to hear that. It is so tough when you have worked yourself up to getting it done and made all the necessary arrangements. Have you any idea why you have been cancelled? I think I would be jumping up and down (as much as I am able to) with rage!! Is this the wonderful NHS??
 
So sorry Maggie. I will keep goods thoughts and prayers for you and speedy reschedule

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 
@maggie23 sorry to hear your THR has been canceled. Let us know when you are rescheduled so we can add you back on the pre op lists.

01 May 17 moonbeam22, Mojo333 (bilateral)
02 May 17 1GreatGran, Joan
08 May 17 AnneM77 (first hip)
09 May 17 elvatrguy, kayak59
11 May 17 hp thr
15 May 17 AnneM77 (second hip)
17 MAY 17 oznut (her second), JAS
19 May 17 houndmom (bilateral)
22 May 17 ScenicRte, Hipster023
24 May 17 aura
30 May 17 BSA
 
Thanks everyone for all your kind thoughts.
I was so disappointed but for the good of my health I am just trying to take it easy and stay calm.
The consultant cancelled all surgery booked for the 16th and has a backlog from another consultant who retired.
They have booked me in for 4th July..
Sending all my best wishes to all the May Marvels.. Stay positive and good luck...X
 
@mills_pc I have added you to the list. Here is the updated May Marvels list:

01 May 17 moonbeam22, Mojo333 (bilateral)
02 May 17 1GreatGran, Joan
08 May 17 AnneM77 (first hip)
09 May 17 elvatrguy, kayak59, mills_pc
11 May 17 hp thr
15 May 17 AnneM77 (second hip)
17 MAY 17 oznut (her second), JAS
19 May 17 houndmom (bilateral)
22 May 17 ScenicRte, Hipster023
24 May 17 aura
30 May 17 BSA
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom