Guest viewing is limited

2017 May Marvels - Are you having hip surgery in May?

@bottomshollow is it possible to delete a couple of threads of mine? One got created inadvertently, it is "Joydiver in recovery" and the other is an old one from a few years back when the software was upgraded, "couple of bugs"

If you can, thanks, Cathy
 
Hello everyone. I'm having a total hip replacement on my left side on May 1st 2017. I'm 37 yrs. old, and was born with bilateral hip dysplasia. I was diagnosed in 2013 with Avascular Necrosis in my left femoral head. My surgeon is using the anterolateral approach. I had all of my pre-op testing and registration appointments yesterday. Monday I meet with my primary care to go over results and get clearance, also the last day of taking my relafen. Ouch!
I'm very nervous and only just a little scared. This is starting to get very real.
I am so ready to have the relief from the pain. The pain has become too much.
It took a couple years and many road blocks to find a surgeon in my area willing help. Now, only 9 days to go! ☺
 
Hi Moonbeam22
That is great news for you, your 15 days before me.
I am finding Bonesmart such an asset, all my questions are answered and it gives you a place to vent when you are having a bad day.

Good luck for the 1st May and a speedy recovery
 
Hi @moonbeam22,
Like @maggie23, Bonesmart has been informative and wonderfully supportive - glad you're here!

Sounds like you've been living with funky hips your entire life. Kudos to you for persisting and advocating for yourself.

I also will be having an anteriolateral THR (right hip) May 22nd. Nothing exceptional, just early osteoarthritis.
Pre-op testing and appointment with my PMD are next week, then will meet with my OS for pre-op prep on the 1st. You'll be on the other side by then!

I'm not looking forward to giving up my meds, either. If you learn any good pain management tips for the med-less week prior to surgery, please pass them on.

All good luck for this week, your surgery and recovery. Let us know how you're doing as the days go by.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
 
Hi @maggie23 - any idea about what's covered in your upcoming joint class? There's lots of THR patient education videos on YouTube, but seems like it would be great to attend a class and be able to ask questions.


Hi
I am booked for the 16th May,(LTHR) everyone has asked "how do you feel about it" I am glad to have it done but they have not told me about having the right hip done. I just feel that I am not going to get the best from the LTHR with the right hip giving me just as much pain.
My pre assessment is on Wednesday 19th April and I have a joint class on 26th April.


Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
 
@bottomshollow Hello everyone, I'm back for my third joint replacement, and very much hoping it will be the last. This time it's the right hip on May 11th. I've seen that a number of you have found the second to be easier. I'm sure hoping for that experience too.
 
@bottomshollow is it possible to delete a couple of threads of mine? One got created inadvertently, it is "Joydiver in recovery" and the other is an old one from a few years back when the software was upgraded, "couple of bugs"

If you can, thanks, Cathy
Cathy, since you made this request on the open forum rather than by pm, I'm replying in kind.

1. it would be nice to have a reason why you want threads to be deleted.
2. you could have left us links so we didn't have to go hunting!
3. we don't delete as a rule unless there is a very good reason for it which I cannot do since you haven't given us the links.

I await your response! :smile2:
 
Hi ScenicRte

I have watched some of the YouTube educational videos and found them very helpful.

The joint class is mandatory and you can attend with your coach, my son will be my coach. That might sound funny but for the last couple of years he has been the one who has helped me get to where I am today.

The class last for 2.5 hours, it is a patient education programme specifically designed to improve your experience of having a joint replacement procedure. I will be part of a group of people and a presentation will be given followed by a discussions/questions with an Occupational Therapist and the Orthopaedic team. I was given a questionnaire to bring in with me which ask for measurement (height)of my bed, toilet and sofa, information on my house.

I will try and ask as many questions as I can at the moment it has taken over my life. It might sound vain but I went shopping to get some new outfits to feel comfortable and fresh when I am in and leave hospital, just to keep my spirits up.
 
Hello! I'm scheduled for bilateral THR, one side on May 8th, the other on May 15th. It's been a looonnng road, but I'm feeling very positive.
 
Thanks @maggie23! One of the interesting things about being a member of Bonesmart is seeing the different protocols and approaches used in different countries. I might be over generalizing, but it seems like there's much more of an emphasis in the UK and Australia proactive patient education

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
 
Whoops - premature send! Anyway, my impression is based on the many excellent online mental health patient education and even treatment resources I've run across in my work as a college counselor. Now, seeing similar resources and hearing about joint classes in the UK, I find myself wondering if patient ed is one of the strengths of socialized medicine. Just geeking out a bit to entertain myself! Cheers! [emoji111]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
 
@bottomshollow Can you please put me down for May 9th? In case anyone else gets added to that date?

I was wondering.... been through two knee replacement so probably much is the same. Read through all the hip replacement info in emails above. Do you know what the biggest difference between knee and hip replacements are? Everyone says after two knees 4 weeks apart, one hip, especially using the SuperPath technique will be easy, but I still wondering if anyone who has done both knee and hip have any insights. Thank you! (Got a pre-op thread, Left Superpath Hip Replacement.)
 
Hello! I'm scheduled for bilateral THR, one side on May 8th, the other on May 15th. It's been a looonnng road, but I'm feeling very positive.

I wish you all the best on your double op,
 
May 1...Bilateral THR. At 53, and up until 5 years ago very healthy... I'm still in shock. Going for it... Going to the saltwater fishing Saturday. I deserve it
 
My surgery is May 1, first at SOMETHING if you add me to the list. Bilateral THR anterior method for to degenerative Osteoarthritis. Been looking for a diagnosis for years for years. Hope I don't regret this.
 
Just returned from consultation with OS who has recommended Left THR and has booked me in for 17th May! Now have to make arrangements for dog to be kennelled for a few days and re-arrange some other stuff. Not sure how I feel about it at the moment!
 
Had the phone call yesterday.my right hip replacement is happening on the 2nd May. One whole year on the waiting list. I have necrosis and haven't been weight bearing for some time now. The left hip isn't so bad but will also need replacing. Back on the waiting list.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi, I'm set for a R anterior THR on the 22nd of May. Looking forward to getting surgery / rehab over and done.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

All the best to you....I am scheduled for the same on May 19th. Are you a Kaiser patient? I am in countdown mode & soooooo ready. My other hip is 5 months old & happy! This time I know what to expect & hoping for the best!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Here we go again.....May 17th for my (R) anterior THR. I am currently 4 mos. post (L) anterior THR.
Can't wait to be fully bionic & resume some pain free activity! Wish me luck....
Ooops.....the date is actually May 19th. Countdown in progress.....
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom