2016 August Hot Shots - Are you having knee surgery in August?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I am so very glad I found this forum. I don't know why I didn't think about checking for a knee replacement forum before. I'm having my left knee replaced on August 26th 2016 and my right knee on November 4th 2016 (provided my left knee has recovered enough) in Fort Myers Florida. I just turned 48. I've had several major back surgeries and they didn't bother me in the least but these knee replacements scare me to death and I'm not sure why. I have been walking with a cane for 3 years avoiding the surgeries but now my left knee is too painful to walk on and my right one isn't far behind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome. This site is really good. Make sure you read all the articles. Everything you want to know is right here. I have two very bad knees too. When they instruct you to go up steps using your good knee first - well, I'm not quite sure how that is going to work out. :)

I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.

Welcome to our latest and all August Hot Shots!

Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. Start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Knee Section to post comments and share your journey toward knee replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

01 August 16 Reanna27, maseko, LindaW
02 August 16 April Hill (her first)
03 August 16 JustmeT (patellar resurfacing), Baboo65, Aunty T
05 August 16 audreys130 (bilateral)
08 August 16 Doggiemom
10 August 16 goforwalks
11 August 16 thecoll (her first), Annie11 (her second)
15 August 16 FlaGranny, zammie24, MaddyS
17 August 16 dianehelen, Sipzener
22 August 16 nananew (her second)
23 August 16 jvbs, sheliac
24 August 16 karena71, Deeann (her second)
25 August 16 pizzadog
26 August 16 poopoo (her first)
30 August 16 greatlakes

@poopoo, you have been officially added to the August surgery list! You are now officially an August Hot Shot!

Welcome to the BoneSmart forum. We’re so pleased that you have joined us here. If you have not started a thread of your own, please do so. With your own thread, you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve.

When the November list goes up at the end of August, be sure and give me that November date again.

We are here to help in any way we can because We Care!

Good luck to you @ poopoo!! Our mid forties August club grows larger!! Lol

Mercedes Z - RTKR Aug 15th

Good morning fellow hot-shots! Not been on much as I've been mega busy trying to get sorted before the op. Not sure how I ended up on the list as the 5th, my op is today, 3rd August - RTKR this afternoon in fact!

All psyched up and ready to go - just want it done now. Trying not to think too much about the op itself, or the immediate post-op pain, and focussing on the happy fact that I have a great surgeon, and the results will be worth it once I'm through it. I'll be able to walk distances again, and dance - hurrah! Until the left knee gives out, anyway... ;)

Have been upgraded for the first (but hopefully not the last) time in my life, and am having my surgery at the private hospital, but courtesy of the NHS (that's free to you non-UK folk :) ). Looking forward to the luxury of a room all to myself instead of the usual crowded wards, and maybe even some decent food, unlike the usual cash-strapped NHS gunk!

Good luck to you all, and I'll see you on the other side! :yahoo:

Time is rushing by now. My knees were screaming at me last night. Kept getting woke up by them. I'm getting the left done first, but it was more the right that tortured me most of the night. It was at least a 6 and it came intermittently all night. The left behaved a little better, just a 2 or a 3. The left is definitely the worst knee though and feels swollen and very sore when I bend it. Night before last I had a nightmare that alligators were trying to eat me. Last night another nightmare about being in a house that was disintegrating all around me. Although I feel calm, I guess my subconscious is trying to tell me something. :rotfl:

August Sugery
Hi - can I please be added to August surgery list? August 23! Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@sheliac, you have been officially added to the August surgery list! You are now officially an August Hot Shot!

Welcome to the BoneSmart forum. We’re so pleased that you have joined us here. If you have not started a thread of your own, please do so. With your own thread, you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve.

Thank you! Glad to be here. As the day approaches, I getting more anxious. I'm having surgery in an ambulatory surgery center 23 hour stay) with an excellent reputation. I'm most concerned about pain management and self- care after surgery. I'm 59 and in pretty good shape except for my knees.

Ambulatory 23 hour stay sounds interesting! I'll be here for 3-4 days apparently. Got to tell you, the pain management is great. Yes, it hurts a bit today (less than 24 hours post op - was out of surgery at 7pm UK time last night - it's 11:50am now), but it's bearable, and no worse than my last flare up pre-surgery. Totally understandable to be nervous, I was for sure. Happy that it's done now, though. Good luck with yours - sure you'll be fine! :)

Glad to find this forum. I will have knee replacement surgery on August 10...just in time for my 65th birthday on August 11! Yea Medicare:) My surgery will happen in Greenville, SC, at the Patewood Memorial Hospital. Hoping to chat with folks in the same Leo boat.

I did it!LTKR August 1st. i went in all i felt was the IV in my hand and woke up after surgery with no pain none! two days no pain and then the meds started to wear off i had two painful days today is the 5th had my therapy every day and it feels better every day. Wow! better than i thought... i received the best care so happy and pleased North Shore LIJ awesome!

@Reanna27 wow! YAY you and Shout out to MY HOME TOWN Brooklyn!!

May your recovery continue to be better than expected.

Say HI to My Brooklyn for me, I miss it so.. Sheepshead Bay girl here... Where in the greatest of all boroughs are you?

Thanks Diane yes I sure will! and good luck and god blessings to you all. I'm at the border between Brooklyn and queens of Liberty Ave

@goforwalks, you have been officially added to the August surgery list! You are now officially an August Hot Shot!

@Reanna27 .... if you haven't done so already, please start a recovery thread for yourself so you can begin to document your recovery. That's the place where you'll provide updates and ask questions if you have them. Glad to hear you're on the recovery side!!! Congratulations!

Good luck hot shots!!

I'm going in this Thurs the 11th for my second knee - I was told it will be completely different so hoping all goes well, as my first surgery was pretty good - not a lot of pain & I was quite surprised how well I did. ( I expected the worse!)

The first two weeks are the roughest and after about 5-7 days the swelling & bruising kicks in, but then slowly disappears over time....

Just remember to ice, elevate & walk around - best of luck to everyone! :)

@Annie11 I am also going in on Thursday the 11th for my left knee. If my hemoglobin is above a 12 3 weeks after I am to have my right done. I am thinking about just doing the one and at a later date do the other. It is encouraging to hear someone say they had the TKR and it was not that bad. I have not read many like that on this forum so it is encouraging. After you had your first TKR how long before you were back to doing the normal things around the house? I am thinking about working from home at 4weeks, just computer work. Did you use a recliner? Any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Plerea
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom