2016 August Hot Shots - Are you having knee surgery in August?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll be first for the day! I'd like to be first because that might get me home the same day. We'll see. OS has me down for admission, which means at least 24 hours, but since I'm low risk, maybe he'll send me home early. When he scheduled me, he didn't know this "old lady" could be so healthy. :)

I wonder what happened to Maddy. She was scheduled for Monday but I haven't seen any posts by her lately.
 
I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.

Welcome to our latest and all August Hot Shots!


[Bonesmart.org] 2016 August Hot Shots - Are you having knee surgery in August?


Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. Start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Knee Section to post comments and share your journey toward knee replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

01 August 16 Reanna27, maseko, LindaW
02 August 16 April Hill (her first)
03 August 16 JustmeT (patellar resurfacing), Baboo65, Aunty T
05 August 16 audreys130 (bilateral)
08 August 16 Doggiemom
10 August 16 goforwalks
11 August 16 thecoll (her first), Annie11 (her second)
15 August 16 FlaGranny, zammie24, MaddyS
17 August 16 dianehelen, Sipzener
18 August 16 pizzadog
22 August 16 nananew (her second), Tnlady
23 August 16 jvbs, sheliac
24 August 16 karena71, Deeann (her second)
26 August 16 poopoo (her first)
30 August 16 greatlakes
 
Got good news the other day. Someone canceled their surgery. So, I now go in on the 18th. Just a week earlier, but it's still something. Cue all the nerves!!
 
I'm on the other side now (8/11) and came home yesterday. The pain was much worst this time around ugh I had the same exact meds/surgeon/hospital and they did warn me every surgery is completely different.

I had the spinal anesthesia again which is awesome!!! No pain in back..headaches, etc

It wears off slowly after about 4hrs.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Glad to hear you're on the other side - hope you recover quickly!


Mercedes Z - RTKR Aug 15th
 
@FlaGranny we r getting close!! Knowing we r doing this together is very encouraging!! You are inspiring!


Mercedes Z - RTKR Aug 15th
 
I have to finish my laundry and getting my bag ready but mentally as ready as I'll ever be!


Mercedes Z - RTKR Aug 15th
 
Good morning Diane and Mercedes. I'm all ready except for the final things like packing my toothbrush. I have an electric one and I'll need to use it in the morning. Also need to change the sheets before tonight. I slept like a log last night except for a few times getting awoken by one knee or the other. I took a Tylenol PM though before I went to bed. I'm thinking more about what's about to happen, but still pretty calm. I just set my mind to the fact that it is something I have to do. God knows, I don't want to have surgery.

No medications now for some time so I feel like I've been run over by a semi. Hurting all over. The nurse at the hospital said that Celebrex is one of the medications my OS prescribes. Hopefully that will calm down my other joints and tendons. Six weeks from tomorrow I hope to have the second knee done. The OS's office nurse said that most people who schedule 6 weeks later call to postpone the surgery. I'm determined to go through with it unless there is a medical reason not to. Six weeks after the second one, I can go back to a treatment regimen for my arthritis (both OA and inflammatory). That will be 3 months from tomorrow. I'm counting!
 
Ya I have been missing my ibuprofen. I'm taking Tylenol arthritis with tramadol, which my OS said was ok. It helps some, but not as much as my ibu. Arthritis sucks huh? I have it in my hands, neck, feet, too.
 
Packing a couple of big t-shirts, a couple pairs of loose shorts, a sleep shirt, underwear, grooming necessities. I'll take a comfy pair of shoes and socks. I have dentures that I will pack and not wear to the hospital. I hate to wear them and then put them back in without cleaning them, and I don't want anyone else to have to do that. So I'll clean them good and put them in their case and take them in my bag. Then I'll pray I don't forget and smile at anyone. :rofsign: Oh, lest I forget - my cellphone and stylus. It times like these I wish I had a laptop or tablet.

I'm not going to bother with packing bras because it will be a hassle getting them on and off with an IV.

I expect that if I want entertainment I will use the hospital TV and/or my cellphone, but I imagine I'll be busy with PT and sleeping (I hope).

P.S. I was just reading about tourniquets. There is quite a science to applying them. I really had no idea. The pressure used depends on the patient's blood pressure. They must be released in a certain way, must be the right size for the patient, and be applied around the largest part of the leg to protect nerves and blood vessels, etc., etc. They are responsible for some of the postoperative nerve pain. My OS medicates for that.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ya agree no bra packing ;-) , I'll have my tablet & phone. A sweatshirt was mentioned, as hospitals are usually cold, so thats on my list. You wont need socks, you'll be wearing the grippy socks
 
I'll need socks to wear home, but I'm wondering if the hospital socks are good for PT. The nurse at pre-op said to bring comfortable shoes. I'll be prepared if needed. I am packing light.
 
oh wow no bra! yes I guess youre right ladies! ugh Im bringing pjs just in case also...
 
I may bring a pair of pj bottoms, but im not really a pj wearer, I wear nightgown/housedress. When lounging around the house (which is most of my time) I dont like pants or anything around my waist.
 
Oh also, I'm bringing earphones, so I can listen to music or audio books on my phone to relax.
 
Yes earbuds! Thank u!! I got myself a kindle so I can read watch movies listen to music etc:)


Mercedes Z - RTKR Aug 15th
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom