2015 October Feisties - Are you having knee surgery in October?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a new user and am very excited to get my new knee (TKR) on October 7th!!!! I'm looking forward to being able to be active again and pain free (hopefully) and get around on a bike once again. I originally injured this knee when I was 20, so it's been a long time coming (I'll be turning 49 this month).
 
I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.

Welcome to our latest and all October Feisties!


[Bonesmart.org] 2015 October Feisties - Are you having knee surgery in October?


Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. Start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Knee Section to post comments and share your journey toward knee replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

01 October 15 Slainte (her second)
06 October 15 shellyglaze (her second), cowchick (her second), Malvolina
07 October 15 nomoreski (bilateral), JustmeT (revision), BusterBeans (bilateral), PullTheGoalie
08 October 15 Scheherazade (bilateral), Glamg1979
12 October 15 RieRie, TeeDee (her second)
13 October 15 swmrgirl, Talon
19 October 15 TKR coming. DUTCH (revision), grandmalove
20 October 15 Wantoskiagain
21 October 15 Dem Ole Bones, webbie73, Huddo 1969, Dancing Fool
22 October 15 Crappy knees (bilateral)
26 October 15 foodiex2
27 October 15 PeterinMontreal (his second)
 
Tried to find out if my insurance company had approved my surgery & got nowhere. So called the surgery dept of our small hospital & they didn't know it needed prior approval. If this isn't approved then it is no longer an option for me:( I'm so tired of the OA pain. I work at a nursing home & have children at home. It's so frustrating not knowing!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Talon, we want to share your journey with you. Please start a thread of your own in the proper forum. To start a new thread about your recovery, hover your mouse over "Knee Replacement" on the white line below the blue line at the top of the page. Click on "Knee Replacement Pre Op Area". On the upper right hand side under the white line under the blue line, you will see a black rectangle with the words "Post New Thread" in white. Click on this, enter whatever title you want for your thread, tab down to the dialogue box and start typing your post.

Also, here is the Library link that gives you the instructions you need to do this:
Starting a new thread and posting

By starting your own thread, you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve. I look forward to seeing your first post.
 
Thanks all for accepting me into the fold. Looks like most of us are nervous about the journey. Nice to know its not just me!

@PullTheGoalie, I too really want to get back on my bike as soon as possible. My husband gave me a 'fat bike' last winter to help get me through ski season without crying too much. (Was able to ski on soft snow days, but hardpack was just too painful...). It's a lot of fun! The wide tires are super stable, even on ice & it is an incredible workout. Since my recovery will be in winter, I'm planning on using the fattie on flat plowed roads once I get strong enough.... My OS said probably by Feb I could do this. I bet that would work for you too in CO. (I was born & raised in CO, but now am back east). I so love being outdoors... Cabin fever is gonna be rough.
 
Wantoskiagain, I'm going to be using an exercise bike for rehab, since going to my basement is easier than gearing up for winter riding. I miss being able to bike, since I've not been able to get around on the pedals due to limited range of motion in my knee. This will be the first winter ever that I won't be able to ski, and the cabin fever / depression is going to be something very real that I'll have to face. On top of that, we have to put down our golden retriever - my best friend of 12 years - since he can't walk due to a tumor on his spine. :boohoo:

My wife and I plan to return to Kauai with our boys this Spring, so that will give me something to look forward to, and incentive to get in shape.

Where in CO did you live? My wife is from the Hartford area. One of these days, I'd like to ski Killington, but I feel silly dragging my gear East to ski.
 
Pullthegoalie, so sorry to hear about your pup.... The hardest part of loving dogs is the realization that we generally will outlive them. But I am sure your golden had a fabulous life with you and you have to hold onto that in the dark times.

I have some very sad things going on in my life right now too (sister with stage 4 breast cancer on the very top of the list...) so I am very afraid of depression this winter as well. Which is why I made myself sign up here. If we can all help each other.... It won't be as bad, right??

A skiless ski season isn't the end of the world, it's the loss of those lovely endorphins I will miss most. Perhaps I can get them on my training bike? I'm certainly going to try! And if I can actually get out at times and play in the snow, it will be that much more tolerable.

I'm from the Denver area originally.... But have been out here the past 31 years. If you ever decide to 'ski the east' try driving a bit farther north than Killington. Stowe & Jay have better snow & great tree skiing (sure hope I will still be able to go in post surgery...)

Kauai is BEAUTIFUL! A great thing to look forward to....
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Time to get myself on the list - right TKR is scheduled for October 21. I've been getting lots of advice on the pre-op forum, for which I am grateful!
 
Hi guys!! Got my surgery date today. Will be having RTK done on October 8th!! Gulp.....it's getting very real.
 
Hi @Malvolina and welcome!! We will recover together. Would of rather gone on a trip to see the fall foliage but OS had this opening. Telling myself travel will be a breeze this time next year!
 
Shelly, I akso had my right knee done over a year and half sgo. February 2014. What state are you in. I am in West Virginia.
 
Thanks to all for the welcome. I'm in Washington state and traveling to Seattle for surgery at Swedish Hospital. I've been waiting since June for the surgery . . . too much time to research and ponder=high anxiety. Glam1979, instead of spending time (at least LESS time) worrying about the surgery, I'm taking your suggestion and planning a future trip to Machu Picchu. The steps should be a breeze!
 
Hi there again! It is official, I will have my right TKR on Oct 27, 1 year and 6 days after my left TKR for those who don't know me. I look forward to saying hello to old friends and making a few new ones.

If you haven't had a knee replacement yet, be sure, you will love it once you get better. My left TKR is incredible. It is going to be a journey October Fiesties! We are very fortunate.

Peter
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom