2015 October Feisties - Are you having knee surgery in October?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @BusterBeans , I am in Jacksonville! My son just moved back here from St. Pete. He lived there for 3 years and I loved visiting, such a nice area. Our surgery day is drawing near so now just hoping I pass all the pre-op testing. Today was a good day for my knees but know I need to push on. Hubby and I love to travel and I have been out of commission for the past few years. Ready to get on with my life!
 
I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.

Welcome to our latest and all October Feisties!


[Bonesmart.org] 2015 October Feisties - Are you having knee surgery in October?


Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. Start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Knee Section to post comments and share your journey toward knee replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

01 October 15 Slainte (her second)
05 October 15 knee2
06 October 15 shellyglaze (her second), cowchick (her second), Malvolina, Clipless (her second)
07 October 15 nomoreski (bilateral), JustmeT (revision), BusterBeans (bilateral), PullTheGoalie
08 October 15 Scheherazade (bilateral), Glamg1979
12 October 15 RieRie, TeeDee (her second)
13 October 15 swmrgirl, Talon
19 October 15 TKR coming. DUTCH (revision), grandmalove
20 October 15 Wantoskiagain
21 October 15 Dem Ole Bones, webbie73, Huddo 1969, Dancing Fool
22 October 15 Crappy knees (bilateral)
26 October 15 foodiex2
27 October 15 PeterinMontreal (his second), Naomi60
 
Had my pre op leg xray today and rest of tests on Monday. I can't believe how nervous I was just getting the x-rays. Guess it is because every step gets me closer to THE day. I hope I don't embarrass myself and breakdown in surgery holding. I will be so glad when they put the sedative in my IV! :praying:
 
Had my pre op leg xray today and rest of tests on Monday. I can't believe how nervous I was just getting the x-rays. Guess it is because every step gets me closer to THE day. I hope I don't embarrass myself and breakdown in surgery holding. I will be so glad when they put the sedative in my IV! :praying:

That ends the suspense, for sure. You will wake up feeling warm and mellow in Recovery. You'll probably have a Bair Hugger heating blanket, which is super cozy. For last years' LTKR I was out from the moment the anesthesiologist told me he was pushing "a little Versed" to waking gradually but comfortably in Recovey. I don't remember the spinal. I have a few vague recollections of clanking sounds, monitor blips, then rolling down the lighted corridor on a gurney. I thought my anesthesiologist was darn slick. I've requested him again, but with my surgery date abruptly changed, who knows?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Malvolina and @nomoreski, loved your haikus!

Did you know that there's a haiku thread in the games section of the social area in Community? I think it'd be cool if you were to repost them over there, so more Bonesmarties could enjoy them. https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/favourite-haikus.32196/page-2#post-828458.

Also, nomoreski, one of the moderators here, skigirl, is also an avid skier. I, on the other hand, am perfectly content to see others do amazing things in the winter Olympics safe and warm in my living room. LOL.

Wishing the two of you the best on October 6 and 7. Look forward to seeing you on "the other side" -- the post-surgery section of the forum.
 
I was also an avid skier (and racer and instructor) in my youth, which is probably how I ended up here. I can't imagine skiing pain-free, is that really in my future?

And horse-back riding? The two thoroughbreds in my backyard don't even remember the last time they were saddled up - they probably would prefer I don't have the surgery. On the other hand, it's becoming harder for me to feed them these days, so that would be a point in BTKR's favor as far as they are concerned.
 
Clipless, getting bumped to the next morning is a good thing. They say you always want surgery in the morning when the surgeon is most fresh and alert. The knee replacement book I read said I should ask my surgeon if I could be his first surgery of the day so I did. He said I definitely would be because I was a bilateral and he always does his most challenging or lengthiest surgeries first. Of course that means I'll probably be setting my alarm for 3 AM...


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sched (sorry, I forgot how to spell the rest), how have you been able to ride with 2 bad knees? I gave up riding about 5 years ago because I couldn't grip any longer and couldn't keep a seat or balance.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@BusterBeans - I didn't say I've been riding them, I wrote that I've been feeding them. I haven't ridden in about five years either. My husband could not understand why I stopped riding, but I think he finally gets it, as I can barely make it up a flight of stairs anymore. But maybe there will be more rides in our future...:horseriding:
 
I finished all of my pre-ops today, got my flu shot, and signed consents at my OS's. He came in, listened carefully to my short list of medical concerns, and addressed them all. I really like him. Afterwards, I stopped by the outpatient PT facility near my home to drop off my prescription. They remembered me (of course!), and commented on my "wonderful surgeon".

Things I'm doing differently with this knee: No home RN, no home PT, and no CPM home rental. I was prepared to argue my case, but met no resistance.

@BusterBeans , I'm fine with my surgery being bumped to the following a.m. for several reasons, but I still don't have a time. I hope they don't keep changing the date- my daughter is flying home to help, not to sit around and wait.
 
@SarahJane
Thanks for the info on the haiku page. I will head over to games section. I had forgotten all about that area! so thank you for the reminder as well!

Had my pre-op last week. All is going forward for surgery on weds 10/7.can hardly believed the months of waiting are almost over. My work mates are more worried than i am...but that is mostly because they won't know who to come and ask how to do such and such in the computer program we use! Looking forward to hearing about everyone's tales on the other side.
 
So today is my second to last day at work before surgery Monday. Totally stressing out about getting everything done here and ready to be working from home the following couple weeks. Seems like it was wait, wait, wait and now it's here.
I called the hospital today and discussed the spinal with them, as that was not a positive experience for my LTK 8 years ago. Hoping the anesthesiologist will listen this time and take time to look back in the records to see what the issues were last time. Went to pain clinic yesterday to get set up with my plan for post surgery medications. Tonight after work am going to stop by the PT clinic I plan to use and be sure I am happy with them - After using the same Physical therapist for four different surgeries I am a little nervous about switching, but we moved. This one is half way between work and home - Hoping that will make scheduling appointment easy as they will at least be on my commute.
 
@knee2 sounds like you have well prepared for your surgery. I am sure your anesthesiologist will address your concerns about the spinal. Would you be more comfortable with general anesthesia? I would hope if you are vocal about your preference your Dr's will listen. Good luck on Monday!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom