2015 October Feisties - Are you having knee surgery in October?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Scheherazade! Yes I see we are having our surgeries the same day. I have my pre-op workup on the 5th and then will be told what time my surgery is for the 8th. Went grocery shopping with hubby tonight and refused to use the scooter. Did it purposely to remind myself I need to do this and yup I do, no backing out. I am so nervous. Looking forward to being surgery twins :wave:
 
I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.

Welcome to our latest and all October Feisties!


[Bonesmart.org] 2015 October Feisties - Are you having knee surgery in October?


Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. Start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Knee Section to post comments and share your journey toward knee replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

01 October 15 Slainte (her second)
05 October 15 Clipless (her second)
06 October 15 shellyglaze (her second), cowchick (her second), Malvolina
07 October 15 nomoreski (bilateral), JustmeT (revision), BusterBeans (bilateral), PullTheGoalie
08 October 15 Scheherazade (bilateral), Glamg1979
12 October 15 RieRie, TeeDee (her second)
13 October 15 swmrgirl, Talon
19 October 15 TKR coming. DUTCH (revision), grandmalove
20 October 15 Wantoskiagain
21 October 15 Dem Ole Bones, webbie73, Huddo 1969, Dancing Fool
22 October 15 Crappy knees (bilateral)
26 October 15 foodiex2
27 October 15 PeterinMontreal (his second), Naomi60
 
Three weeks to go. I've had so many surgeries, but this is the first one I'm nervous about. I'm worried about how dependent I am going to be immediately afterward, most of all. But I'm also anxious that the OS will find so much wrong with my left knee that he'll decide he can't do the right one at the same time. I will be very upset if that happens. Has that happened to anyone on this forum?
 
Scheherazade
I've never read of that happening to anyone. The only thing even somewhat similar was a woman whose blood pressure dropped so much when they released the tourniquet, that the surgeon decided to do her second knee separately.

I'm a week and a half out from my bilateral and I'm worried because I'm getting a 48-hour epidural. I'm sure that is to maximize pain management but I'm afraid it will keep me from starting any PT or even getting out of bed.
 
Thanks for responding @BusterBeans. To be honest, the whole tourniquet idea makes me nauseous.:eeeuw:

Your question is a good one, I'll be curious to see peoples' answers, but it seems like a good question to ask your OS, also.
 
Hello all,
My TKR is scheduled for October 27 so I am one month away. Both knees need to be replaced but I am having the right one done first. I found this sight 2 years ago when I was preparing to take care of my sister after her double knee replacement. So I have seen it from the other side and now it's my turn. I would kind of like to have both done at once but my husband is worried I won't be able to handle the pain. My thought is to just get it over with. My goal is to get back to activities like hiking and traveling and dance like crazy at my daughters wedding next summer.

Thanks for listening.
 
October 5th is the date for my second (right) TKR. I've read and re-read all of the Bonesmart mantras and articles, and I'm ready. Like everyone I have concerns about surgery, but the anticipation of two strong, straight legs motivates me!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
It's hard to believe that October is almost here! The hospital called yesterday to pre-register me and I have my pre-op appt this week. It's really happening, and I'm excited.

Wishing all my October buddies the very best. I'm so glad we have each other and the rest of the people on Bonesmart to guide and support us through our journeys.

Blessings,
Julie


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I have the answer to my 3-day meltdown over my upcoming 48-hour epidural and my fear that the epidural would keep me bed-ridden and numb and unable to start walking. My daughter-in-law, who completed 1 year of nurse anesthetist training, said that epidurals are used for both anesthesia and analgesics -- it just depends which meds are fed thru the epidural when. So just because I was told I was going to have a 2-day epidural didn't mean that my legs would be numb the whole time. And the pole that the IV and epidural would be attached to will travel with me when I start walking so I had no reason to fret about not being able to start PT. And having the epidural for that period of time didn't necessarily mean I would have a Foley that long because analgesics could just be flowing which wouldn't interfere with my ability to walk to the bathroom. Phew!

I hope October 7th gets here soon so I stop researching, over-processing and worrying myself. I need to chill out. I think some of this is because I had to give up my sleep aid and probiotic which were labeled supplements by the nurse. The approved over the counter sleep aid just isn't cutting it.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @BusterBeans,
Glad you got some answers on the epidural. I stopped researching every detail, and feel so much better. My ortho group has done so many surgeries that I figure they've got the details covered. Hope you get some sleep.
:sleep:
 
@BusterBeans , my pre-ops begin tomorrow. I work at the hospital where I'll be having surgery, I know everyone, everyone knows me, and I've been through it all before, but I'm still nervous! I worry about stuff the average person wouldn't even think to worry about. In spite of my pre-op jitters I sleep quite well. My method of choice is chamomile tea, solitaire and mindless TV. Seriously, no worries; all of us October feisties are going to do great!
 
Clipless, thanks for letting me that jitters are ok -- even from the pro's among us. It's interesting to hear the differences in prep among the different hospitals/surgical practices. I lost my chamomile and sleepy time tea last week as they were also deemed supplements. Now that my fish oil, Calcium, ginkgo, etc were eliminated, I hardly take any pills in the morning. I hate to lose the NSAIDs on Wednesday but it's only for a week. One person wrote that he didn't have to use the special wash prior to surgery. He was just handed several wipes in pre-op and told to wipe himself down.

My best wishes for an amazing second TKR. Please let us know how well it went.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
My x-rays are Thursday and rest of pre-op testing to be done on Monday 10/5. As time approaches I find I am getting calmer, but do still have my "moments" Have researched all I can just short of watching the actual surgery on YouTube and I won't be doing that thank you very much!! October 8 will be here very soon!
 
SwmGirl, I have stopped researching and do feel better. Today I spent the entire day scrubbing and disinfecting my kitchen. I'm not into housecleaning and had neglected it so have decided to thoroughly house clean it while I await October 7th.

I've started cooking and freezing meals too starting today. My OS advised me that I will probably lose about 15 lbs so my husband may be the one who benefits from the frozen meals. Our daughter-in-law (an RN) has offered to come by twice a day to check on me, bring food and help with cleaning. Our son married an angel.
 
After my LTKR I did lose weight -needed to- and everyone noticed! My post op weight loss was quite unintentional, but I appreciated it. Then I went back to work (night shift, bad for humans) and put it all back on. This time I am determined to lose weight and keep it off. The ability to be lead a healthy, active lifestyle is my goal.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Glam, your surgery is the day after mine. My husband and I live in Cocoa Beach every winter. We've been staying there because my sister does, but all of our friends live in the St. Pete area. This winter we plan to spend some time in St. Pete so we can decide where to eventually live. My joints feel so much better when we're in Florida. I need to get my left hip replaced after I recover from my BTKR and I've thought about getting it done in Florida.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom