2015 October Feisties - Are you having knee surgery in October?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so if I am understanding everyone right, the side bars for the toilet is the most important factor? I already have a safety bar to assist me on one side and the sink is on the other side so no problems there. My thoughts were that the elevated seat kept you from having to bend the knee as much. Does that make sense? I live in a lovely 80 year old house and the bathroom is tiny but even with the pull up assistance I will not be able to straighten my leg when on the toilet because the tub is in the way. Leg will have to be bent at practically 95 degrees and is that even possible right away?

Husband and I practiced getting me in and out of the tub last night and that went smoothly!

Thanks so much for your input, this is such a great group! :thankyou:

How tall is your tub? You will not want to bend your knee much at first. If possible, you might put a towel over the edge of the tub and use a leg lifter to rest your leg on the towel-cushioned tub rim. I had a small stool I put in front of my toilet at first to rest my foot on so that I would not have to sit with my foot on the ground. Needed it for about a week, then got limber enough to do without.

OK, so if I am understanding everyone right, the side bars for the toilet is the most important factor? I already have a safety bar to assist me on one side and the sink is on the other side so no problems there. My thoughts were that the elevated seat kept you from having to bend the knee as much. Does that make sense? I live in a lovely 80 year old house and the bathroom is tiny but even with the pull up assistance I will not be able to straighten my leg when on the toilet because the tub is in the way. Leg will have to be bent at practically 95 degrees and is that even possible right away?

No, I can't imagine you will able to manage that at first. Maybe you will need to use a commode until you gain some ROM.

I'm 5'3" and found the when I sat in the riser, it put too much pressure on the back of my surgical leg, so the frame is better for me. My leg was only bending 68 and it was still ok. You'll have to play around with what works best for you once you get home.

I use a leg lifter like @Slainte mentioned. Getting onto a bench in the tub was pretty easy that way.

I was surprised it wasn't more difficult to get into and out of the tub. I'm 5'9" so with all this leg and with size 11 feet, I thought I would have trouble tucking it all in. But they worked with me twice at rehab (I'm a bilateral) and it was pretty easy.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

I was surprised it wasn't more difficult to get into and out of the tub. I'm 5'9" so with all this leg and with size 11 feet, I thought I would have trouble tucking it all in. But they worked with me twice at rehab (I'm a bilateral) and it was pretty easy...

I can't wait to take my first bath- a little concerned about getting out again, and it's just one knee!

thank you @swmrgirl ! i had a pretty rough couple of weeks leading up to it, lots of anxiety, which i can manange a fair amount of usually, this was different, i am relieved that the decision and the day have finally arrived! I just want to get on with it. get on with recovery! My house is spotless, my bags are packed, grocery are taken care of, my team at the restaurant are ready to go, I have been planning and anticipating for months....ready to move forward. see you on the other side! j

I HOPE EVERYONE IS DOING GREAT! I have been so busy in preparation. I hope i can be of support during our recovery my knee buddies!

I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.

Welcome to our latest and all October Feisties!

header-oct-jpg.32751

Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. Start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Knee Section to post comments and share your journey toward knee replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

01 October 15 Slainte (her second)
05 October 15 knee2
06 October 15 cowchick (her second), Malvolina, Clipless (her second)
07 October 15 nomoreski (bilateral), BusterBeans (bilateral), PullTheGoalie
08 October 15 Scheherazade (bilateral), Bentley's Slave (her second), JustmeT (revision)
12 October 15 RieRie,
13 October 15 swmrgirl, Talon, OHIOGAL (her second)
14 October 14 ready4change (her second)
19 October 15 TKR coming. DUTCH (revision), grandmalove
20 October 15 Wantoskiagain, shellyglaze (her second)
21 October 15 Dem Ole Bones, webbie73, Huddo 1969, Dancing Fool
22 October 15 Crappy knees (bilateral)
26 October 15 foodiex2
27 October 15 Naomi60, quiltr1
28 October 15 Glamg1979, Devka56 (revision), Darkas10 (PTK to TKR)

Congrats @foodiex2 you are now on the other side!! Good that you got that pain under control, remember to ask how often you can have it and set a phone alarm. If pain medication order is written "as needed" nurse will not automatically bring it, you will have to ask for it .
Sending healing thoughts your way!

Ok, well, tomorrow is my surgery day and I'm ready. I'm ready to resume the life I want which means taking walks with my husband, climbing the stairs in my home, traveling and most of all, not always worrying about how far something is, can I make it, etc. I am looking forward to walking around and not thinking about my knees. My daughter is getting married next summer so I have things to do! Yeah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back