2015 October Feisties - Are you having knee surgery in October?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi... It's Tuesday the 13th of October my surgery was yesterday morning...I've been told all went well... I'm about to have my first physical therapy appointment in just a few minutes...and I'm not sure how that's going to go...I guess I'll find out soon...
 
I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.

Welcome to our latest and all October Feisties!


[Bonesmart.org] 2015 October Feisties - Are you having knee surgery in October?


Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. Start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Knee Section to post comments and share your journey toward knee replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

01 October 15 Slainte (her second)
05 October 15 knee2
06 October 15 cowchick (her second), Malvolina, Clipless (her second)
07 October 15 nomoreski (bilateral), BusterBeans (bilateral), PullTheGoalie
08 October 15 Scheherazade (bilateral), Bentley's Slave (her second), JustmeT (revision)
12 October 15 RieRie,
13 October 15 swmrgirl, Talon, OHIOGAL (her second)
14 October 14 ready4change (her second)
19 October 15 TKR coming. DUTCH (revision), grandmalove
20 October 15 Wantoskiagain, shellyglaze (her second)
21 October 15 Dem Ole Bones, webbie73, Huddo 1969, Dancing Fool
22 October 15 Crappy knees (bilateral)
26 October 15 foodiex2
27 October 15 Naomi60, quiltr1
28 October 15 Glamg1979, Devka56 (revision), Darkas10 (PTK to TKR)
 
Well, annoying update but couldn't be helped..,my LTKR due this past October 12th was moved to November 2nd, so it's off to the fine folks in that month for yours truly.
 
Hi TeeDee, my original date was in August and got moved to October, so I can commiserate with you. I'll be looking out for you in November.
Take good care.
 
@Dem Ole Bones It's finally our week! I hope you are all set for Wednesday. I will think great thoughts for you and all our friends here. I am scheduled for Thursday still. I will be in PACU overnight because I am bilateral. I hope to meet you walking in the hallway on Saturday!
 
@ bottomshollow
Darn it...I found out that my surgery has been delayed...so...I'm not an October Feisty...my surgery has been re-confirmed for November 17 at 7am.
 
Having a revision of rt partial knee replacement to total knee replacement on Oct. 28. Not looking forward to it!
 
@Glamg
Next week is finally your week! Are you feeling relaxed and ready? Anything I can offer or do to help you prepare?

This week continues to get easier now that I'm home. Staples came out yesterday, OS very pleased. Turns out I had fracture blisters which the OS says are pretty rare. Started out-patient pt yesterday as well and my numbers were already good from practicing exercises on my own. Now just need to learn how to back off meds yet address pain. It does get easier every day.

Sendings you prayers and blessings. BusterBeans/Robin


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@BusterBeans the clock is ticking!! I am ready for my surgery this Wednesday. Do have moments when I get anxious but I am sure that is normal. Just ready to get this over with and start on the path to better mobility, my world has become so small!
I am so pleased for you as it sounds like your recovery is going very well :thumb:
My one question is do I need an elevated toilet seat?
Planning on doing some baking this Monday, cookies for the staff!! :yes:

Don't overdo!!! Thanks for your support Robin, it means a lot :loveshwr:
 
@Glamg: Sounds like you are ready and motivated. The cookies will be so appreciated by everyone caring for you. And your cookies might be their only chance for something to eat that morning or afternoon. My anesthesiologist (who was relatively youthful) said he had never really been thanked before much less been given something.

Regarding a raised toilet... We have a 2-story house and we bought 2 types of toilet arrangements. For the first floor where I spend most of my time, we bought a raised, cushioned toilet seat that also had bars to hold onto. Very easy to transfer to and very comfy. We have an elongated style/size toilet so we had to buy one that would accommodate the elongated toilet. Love this toilet seat. For the bath beside our bedroom we just bought a set of elevated rails that run along the sides of the toilet. It did not come with a raised toilet seat and was cheaper. It's fairly easy to access but not quite as comfy. We ordered both online from the world's largest discount stores (not sure if I can say their name here). I'm 5'9" and there's no way I could have gotten down to or gotten off of a toilet that didn't have rails to help me transfer. The raised seat is great but I needed the rails.

I was surprised that the recliner and sofa I had planned on using were of no help because they were way too low to the ground and the cushions were too plush that I couldn't get push up to get off and up to my walker. We ended up putting several firm furniture pillows down for me to sit on that made me taller and gave me something to push against. And we dropped the height of my walker while I was in the house so I didn't have to push up so far to reach my walker. Since its a 2-story house, I also ended up borrowing my mom's walker to leave up on the second floor.

Hope this helps.
 
I think you have helped Robin. We too purposely installed a higher toilet and long ago safety bars for me to pull up on.
So hopefully I am set.
The idea of putting extra cushion in recliner is good too, but I am only 5'4"!
Doing OK, hope I don't have a mini breakdown at the hospital :snork:. Trying to stay busy @BusterBeans !
 
@Glamg, I was anxious that morning. My knees felt good so I walked a mile and calmed down. Then my husband came back from a business meeting and started focusing and worrying about my surgery and I lost my calmness. I had bought and copied a surgery meditation cd (with powerful affirmations) onto my iPod along with several healing/new age music CDs. I put my headphones on and started listening to the surgery cd while he was stalking around, in the car on the drive to the hospital and in pre-op. It really helped me get through my epidural in particular because of my history with anesthesia. Then when it was time to go to the OR, I had to leave the iPod behind with my husband, but I was very relaxed, positive and ready. I was amazed how calm I had become even before they gave me a sedative. Probably the cookie interactions helped as well to build personal rapport and trust with staff 1-on-1 as well. Wishing you calm and peace.
 
@Glamg1979
"My one question is do I need an elevated toilet seat?"

I bought a raised toilet seat but it hadn't arrived when I came home from the hospital. So my husband bought a commode and removed the potty part and placed the rest of it over the toilet seat in our bedroom bathroom. It was so perfect I never took out the raised seat from the box when it arrived!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom