2015 July Sparklers - Are you having knee surgery in July?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm scheduled for a right total knee replacement on July 14. That's Bastille Day. Wonder whether the surgical team will be playing La Marseillaise and using a guillotine during the procedure?

I live alone and am anxious and worried about being directly discharged from the hospital back home. There are some logistical details in my home which I'm going to bring to the attention of the MD and discharge planner. But mostly I am really worried about being alone, in pain, doped up, and depressed about being alone, in pain, doped up, etc. Depression runs in my family.

I'm also diabetic, controlled with glucophage (sp?) right now. At the HMO's pre-surgery class, the instructor mentioned the possibility that a diabetic's blood sugar levels could be affected by the surgery, and that they might have to be on insulin -- hopefully just for a while. Have any of you had that happen?

Good luck to my fellow sparklers. Wow, July 1st is just minutes away! Hope it's star-spangled for all of us, here and across the pond and oceans.

Sarah Jane
Good luck Sarah Jane I'm sure everything will be fine. Maybe u can talk to your MD about going into rehab for a week or two after surgery so u won't be alone, doped up and depressed. Seems like an important thing to talk to your dr about.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
 
I have a question about "@". I have figured out that it must be used to "tag" people. Is that a twitter thing or does it tag you on this forum?
 
I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.

Welcome to our latest and all July Sparklers!

[Bonesmart.org] 2015 July Sparklers - Are you having knee surgery in July?


Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. Start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Knee Section to post comments and share your journey toward knee replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

01 July 15 jbrooklyn (bilateral)
06 July 15 PamelaColorado, Rob 68, boditty
07 July 15 cowgal
09 July 15 Slainte
10 July 15 Deeann, mennalou
13 July6 15 mfb, Braunzie
14 July 15 Lacy21, SarahJane
16 July 15 iivesfam5
20 July 15 CBH, Ella61
21 July 15 cpd599
23 July 15 Majic (her second)
27 July 15 Cindy knits
 
@SarahJane, my procedure is also scheduled for July 14 and like you I suffer from depression. However, there is a great deal of support in this forum.I will be following you
good luck
 
Ooh, good idea to follow our fellow sparklers. So nice to not be in this alone!
 
Thanks for making me feel so welcome.
@bottomshollow, please add me to the July list. My surgery is scheduled for the 14th.

I'm covered by a HMO (health maintenance organization). I have asked my psychiatrist to contact my surgeon, and will have some support from friends when I speak to the discharge planner. Your words of encouragement mean a lot, too.

Which knee are you having done,my surgery sister Lacy21? For me it's the right one.

Sarah Jane
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@SarahJane, I'm having my left knee done. I do understand your issues with depression. I have dealt with depression as my life. I'm also aware that many people get depressed during their recovery period. This is a good time to rely on a therapist and supportive non judgmental friend. Also, like you I will not have support at home I will try to prepare my home before leaving for the surgery.
 
My surgery is scheduled for July 20th. Scared to death.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
@Ella61 You and I are scheduled for the same day but apparently on opposite coasts. I, too, alternate between being scared to death and "Let's get 'er done!" My husband says he can't wait till I have my surgery because that will mean I am on road to recovery.
 
I talked to my preop educator today and told her about all my worries about going back to work and possible pain that keeps u up at night etc. She said as long as u ice, exercise and take meds when suggested, everything will be fine. Her feeling is since the more movement the better, going back to work as soon as I feel it's possible should be ok. She told me about an 82 year old woman who was ready to go home in two days. Feeling hopeful again.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
 
@Ella61 Ella, don't be scared to death. My op is 23rd July and I am looking forward to it although it is my second. It will be painful yes, but a few weeks ago I pulled two muscles in my other leg, and I am dealing with more pain from that now, than I did with my TKR. Remember any pain you do have will be a precursor to a pain free knee for years to come. We can follow each other on the other side and compare notes.
Jackie
 
I am super busy trying to get as much stuff done before my surgery Tuesday and it didn't help that we got a lot of storm damage yesterday so I didn't know if I would be back on here before my surgery so I wanted to make sure to let PamelaColorado, Rob 68, boditty know that I will be praying and thinking about you all Monday and also Slainte on the 9th and Deeann and mennalou on the 10th. Hope all goes well for all of us this next week!
 
Best of luck tomorrow to @PamelaColorado @Rob 68 and @boditty - I wish you all an uneventful surgery and a recovery that gets better every day. Think long term not short term - that is my motto..... I am looking out to the 1 month mark first...... And on from there.
 
Hello everyone, having pulled two muscles five weeks ago I have been worried that my operation would not go ahead. The muscles have healed well, but now my buttock and ankle are very painful on the other side. Does anyone know if this happens when you use one leg more to support a painful one? I am going on holiday tomorrow, which was going to be my nice treat before the big day, and now I am in a lot of pain and my husband is as fed up as I am.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom