2014 November Nimbles - Are you having knee surgery in November?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Elizabeth U - welcome to the November Nimbles! I'm having bilaterals and my surgeon just looked at me and asked if I was planning to have my other knee done (both are bad). When I said yes, he just said let's get it over with - with one surgery, one recovery. He does one bilateral at the end of each surgical day. Did your surgeon give you a reason for doing them separately?
 
@bottomshollow I don't see my name on the list of November operations. Perhaps I'm not doing something correctly. Anyway, I am having TKR on left knee on 5 November 2014. Would you kindly confirm that I'm included on the appropriate list? I want new friends to support and receive support from, as its a two-way street.
 
I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.


Welcome to our latest and all November Nimbles!


[Bonesmart.org] 2014 November Nimbles - Are you having knee surgery in November?


Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. However, please start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Knee Section to post comments and share your journey toward knee replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

03 November 14 MercysPeace, Sweetielola, ridgetop01
04 November 14 gr82cu2 (her second), Jezebel
05 November 14 Paradise06 (her second)
10 November 14 LondonLady (partial to total revision), snowelag, Bell96, Bender (her first)
11 November 14 sandbar525
12 November 14 Threads (bilateral), Bender (her second), hbacres (her second), west@23rd
13 November 14 mickey8255
14 November 14 RedRider
18 November 14 momkellz, LaxMom, fiberlady (her second), mystikfairy61
24 November 14 sandy beach, Saaryia
25 November 14 SuperSnapper, Shellbell, Wilma
26 November 14 martizan46 (bilateral)
 
@Paradise06, I carry the surgery list over each time a new page rolls up. So if you do not request being put on the list until we're on page 4, you name will not appear on the lists on pages 1, 2, and 3. Members should always look at the surgery list on the current page---all the names of those who have requested being put on the list will be found there (unless, of course, I have by some change missed a request).
 
Hi all - just found this forum, I'm scheduled for a RTKR 11/3, can't wait to get "over the wall" that looms ahead and get on with my healing and life! I had a LTKR on 10/9/06, amazing how long ago that was. It was tough, but I had an excellent long term recovery, and really the only things that surprise me now are occasional proprioception issues, where the knee moves unexpectedly because my brain can't quite tell what it's doing for a moment, and the fact that I can't squat or do some tight knee bends in yoga (I'm a beginner) - not really a surprise, more a mild frustration. But, overall it's really very good and I hope this one will be faster and easier. Greetings to you all, and good luck and God bless!
 
could you please take me off the November list been to hospital today and they put my op on to December 2nd thank you
 
@chicklady, you have been officially removed from the November surgery list. Look for your name on the December list.
 
Hi there - I have been given 25th November for my TKR. Having it done at Wrightington Hospital. Please add me to the list :wave:
 
@Wilma. Your surgery is the same day as mine but just over the Pennines in Bingley nr Bradford. We can be knee partners! Mine is the left one. Hoping things go well for us all.

:dancy:
 
Hi @SuperSnapper - looks like you are my new 'knee partner'! I'm sure things will go absolutely perfect for us.

I am booked for an afternoon spot on the 25th I'm more worried about being recovered enough to enjoy Christmas with my family. Thought about putting it off until the new year but, like you, my knee has deteriorated a lot over the summer. (left knee)

I was interested to read about the advice your surgeon gave you about exercise before surgery. My surgeon didn't mention anything like that. I also expected comments about losing weight, but again, no mention. Obviously he presumed that I am very fit and at an ideal weight! :rotfl: (I am going to WW in attempt to lose something)
I chose Wrightington because a friend recommended it as it's a 'centre of excellence' for hip and knee replacements. My surgeon is Professor Peter Kay :snork:

This site is a mine of information and support. I'm so glad I found it.
 
@Wilma my surgeon gave me the advice he said he gave his mum! Join the gym, exercise to improve muscle strength and general fitness. I thought I might lose a few pounds as I've been exercising since the start of August trying to go three times a week for about an hour. I 've learnt to enjoy it more since my arthroscopies but gave up the gym as I took to walking but now that's out of the question so it's back to the gym. No weight loss though .:badspidy:
My op is also in the afternoon and it's my left knee too! I know what you mean about Christmas but I'm going to leave it all to everyone else this year! my sons already made us a cake and Amazon will deliver pressies.
 
@SuperSnapper you sound pretty organised. We have 3 children and along with their husbands/wife and 7 grandchildren, plus 3 dogs the house is full. They all arrive at lunchtime and the last to leave is our eldest daughter, her husband, 3 children and 1 labradoodle on 27th December! They live your side of 'the hill' in York. This year they will all have to pitch making lunch as my husband is no chef! :yikes:

I have a gym membership but I'm finding everything so painful right now. Even swimming has become unpleasant and I'm scared of slipping getting into the pool! :spin: Maybe I should push myself a bit more????

I'm waiting for my pre-op assessment appointment now and need to find out about physio. That wasn't mentioned during my consultation either.
 
@Wilma No not very organised but like you we have three children and normally have a largish family Christmas but this year 2 of my kids are off to in-laws so we'll just have one lot for lunch and then I'm hoping husband and I can cobble dinner together for us all but my son and daughter-in-law will help out anyway. I'm a bit worried I may still not be up to doing much so we are keeping it pretty fluid. Will all your family help out with things so you can take it easy. I love Christmas but think I will have to take a back seat - with ice of course.
Your knee sounds very painful. I am lucky in that mine is intermittently so but I can exercise still as long as I don't walk too far. They gave us exercises at the pre-op to begin doing now - very similar to the easy ones on here for afterwards so perhaps you'll get those at your pre-op too. You can do those sitting down and they may not hurt too much. I am just so looking forward to doing more and getting out and about. I've had a couple of falls too one this week and they do knock your confidence. I think we will be a while before we are skipping about though:rofsign:
 
Regarding the holiday meal thread, I'm thinking minimal. Kids/hubby can cook, or there is always take-out. This is just one year out of the rest of our lives, and it gives us a story to tell! When I had my gastric bypass (3 weeks before Thanksgiving) hubby had a tv dinner, I had a few tablespoons cottage cheese and tuna, and I took pictures of both of us eating our meals - it's fun to look at those pics! And, the tale of spending Thanksgiving in Orlando, FL and only being able to find convenience store frozen food to microwave in our hotel room is another fun story. This year my one daughter wants to come home, so she and hubby will cook something, but at only 3 weeks out I'll be lounging around waiting for food to arrive and napping intermittantly, with a smile :yawn::loll:!

So close - it feels so weird to know that in just over a week this will be all behind me and I'll be working on getting on with my life. Blessings to one and all!

Judy
 
@ridgetop01 I agree - we'll need taking care of :) I'll be looking out for your recovery thread as you will be about three weeks in front of me so it will be good to see your progress. Hope the next week goes well and you can start the next stage of your life with a wonderful new knee! I see you already have a left TKR so you know what's coming. :dancy:
 
@SuperSnapper, @ridgetop01, and @Wilma, Ladies please post and chat with one another in your own threads in the Pre Op forum. The primary purpose of this thread is to list surgery dates of members so they can see who is having surgery along with them. Then members know who to look for in the Pre Op forum to share questions, concerns, and information with in their own threads.
 
Hi, I don't see my surgery date in November Nimbles, please add me for left TKR on Nov. 4, thanks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom