Guest viewing is limited

2013 December SuperNovas - Are you having knee surgery in December?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am feeling the same things! My surgery is the 9th. I am having my right knee done and my left soon after I hope. I have a weird pain behind my right knee into my calf and is worse walking up and down a hill. Almost like a catching pulling type of pain. Is this familiar to anyone? I am looking forward to reading all your recovery stories!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.​
​
Welcome to our latest and all December SuperNovas!​

[Bonesmart.org] 2013 December SuperNovas - Are you having knee surgery in December?
​
Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. However, please start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Knee Section to post comments and share your journey toward knee replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting​
​
02 December 13 @MNDeb, @amackness, @mariaw0121, @Kprune, MNDeb​
03 December 13 @denpucc, @javillgrl, @wifiwildflower​
04 December 13 @carolyn1941#​
05 December 13 marmrf​
09 December 13 @I'm so ready, @Lmalm53 (father's bilateral), @Jozilla, @Wildcatmo, @I'm so ready (her second)​
10 December 13 @Ph$enix (her first), @Chihuahuan​
13 December 13 Ogbournestandrew​
16 December 13 @Bassman, @B's Knees (bilateral), @bobbiek​
17 December 13 @pdx, @Lovedogs​
18 December 13 @irish, @ema8447 (her second), @Kathysbeautybiz (her second), fiftydollarbill​
20 December 13 @czak57​
30 December 13 @justmerobin (her second)​
 
I am having LTKR on December 2nd.

We have been blessed with 5 kids ranging in age from 9 to 24. Between now and December 2nd we have 2 family birthdays, Thanksgiving at our house, 2.5 days of work at the office and a day long trip for a family event. Not much time to think about surgery .... which is a good thing!

Good luck to all my December SuperNovas! We are about to begin recovery to our new and improved quality of life! I have been in a very long slide down for more than 30 years. Can't wait to begin the process of recovering!

Deb
 
Surgery date for right knee replacement is December 18th 2013. Sorry at first I put 2014 guess I was trying to put it off for a year. But it is next month on the 18th.
 
I am joining the December TKR club (single-Dec. 5th). I am nervous and am ready for this to be over with and moving beyond the pain that is to come.:beg:
 
I am feeling the same things! My surgery is the 9th. I am having my right knee done and my left soon after I hope. I have a weird pain behind my right knee into my calf and is worse walking up and down a hill. Almost like a catching pulling type of pain. Is this familiar to anyone? I am looking forward to reading all your recovery stories!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
I'm having the same type of pain behind my knee and down into my calf. I massage them in the evening which seems to help. My surgery is Dec. 03rd and I am ready to move on......get it fixed!
 
I just started a topic on this. I hope someone can help or give me some info as to why this is happening. Massage sounds good. Thanks wifiwildflower.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Just joined as I am having a TKR on Friday 13 December in Newcastle, England. I have had knee problems since 1976 when I was 16. Many arthroscopies later, both knees have had osteotomies and the left knee has had 2 ACL repairs. Finally, my right leg is so bowed a new surgeon took one look at it and said knee knee required. I am 51 and would appreciate feedback on a couple of things please.
I have looked my surgeon and he appears to be very competent and knows his stuff. Is there a more 'formal' way of checking him out? Also, is the length of the post op period pretty much down to how much time and effort I put into the physio? With an op on 13 December, will I be walking on Christmas Day?
 
[Bonesmart.org] 2013 December SuperNovas - Are you having knee surgery in December?
Ogbournestandrew, you have been officially added to the December surgery list!


If your surgery is very early in the morning, you could be up and walking by the same evening; otherwise, you'll be up and moving the next day.

Please start a thread of your own in the proper forum. Here is the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

By starting your own thread, you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve. I look forward to seeing your first post.
 
So glad to hear all of you say this! Yes I am obsessed and I swear I am having new pains every day! BTKR on Dec 2. It can't get here soon enough!! Good Luck to all my fellow December buddies!!
 
Hi, KPrune. We are having surgery on the same day! I will be thinking about and praying for you. What time is your surgery? Mine is 11:30 EST. Hoping for serenity and tranquility before surgery and an excellent outcome. I'll send those thoughts to you as well!
 
Thank you amackness!! I don't actually know my time yet. I am either first or second on the schedule
so that means hopefully I'll be done by 1200 central time. I guess right when you are dozing off I'll be waking up!
Good luck and let's compare notes!
 
Just joined as I am having a TKR on Friday 13 December in Newcastle, England. I have had knee problems since 1976 when I was 16. Many arthroscopies later, both knees have had osteotomies and the left knee has had 2 ACL repairs. Finally, my right leg is so bowed a new surgeon took one look at it and said knee knee required.

Welcome and good luck! I'm going for BTKR on the 2nd, watch for my recovery thread!
 
Hi, Marmrf. Really glad you joined the forum with us. We are all a little scared. Sounds like you might be afraid of the post surgical pain as I've been. I've done a lot of asking around and most everyone I've talked to said it is entirely tolerable and gets better every day. Many have also told me that it is SO much better than the bone on bone knee pain many of us have. I'm a couple of days ahead of you on Dec. 2nd. I'll post as soon as I can and at least give you my perspective on it all. Starting to view this as the best Christmas present I could ever get!
 
A question for all you bonesmarties. I had a meeting with my OS yesterday to sign the consent forms for next Monday's surgery. I asked him if he uses staples or stitches to close and he answered stitches. I was joking with him about removing the stitches like my granddaughter just had done. He said there will only be one external stitch that will need to be removed. He seemed quite proud of this. Can anyone explain how he can close and have just one external stitch? He's a very prominent OS with 34+ years experience. I just have not heard of such a thing.
 
amackness...

He may be using surgical glue and steri-strips. That's what I had. Pretty miraculous and my scar almost ten months later is nearly invisible. Best wishes to you on Monday!!

Elaine
 
Dear amackness, you need to start a thread of your own in the Knee Replacement Pre Op forum. Your concerns and questions will receive the attention they deserve on that forum. This one is really just for letting members know who is having surgery when so they can connect with surgery buddies on the Pre Op forum and do their chatting there.

Here's the link that explains who to start your own thread: Starting a new thread and posting
 
My second TKR (right) is scheduled for Dec 17 ! I am six weeks into recovery with LTKR.

THIS time I get to use the pre- op materials at Bonesmart. last time I did not find the community until a few days after surgery!

A little nervous about second surgery
1) they had anesthesia complications first time around
2) my partner and I broke up a few weeks ago. I am looking for someone to live in and help me out for first 2-3 weeks... My family lives far away.




Happy healing!
Kathy

Left TKR Oct 15, 2013
Right TKR Scheduled for Dec 17, 2013

Background:
Diagnosed bilateral bone on bone and OA knees Oct, 2012
Implanted intrathecal pain pump. 2008
4-6 additional herniated disks (lumbar and thoracic), 2004-now
Replacement damaged neck disks (c3-c5) 2004
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom