2013 December SuperNovas - Are you having knee surgery in December?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi and your very welcome Ziggysmom :) OOooo Ziggy is your fur baby's name, so cute! :)
Is Ziggy a puppy:puppysmooze: or kitty.:kittykiss:
We have a lot of animal lovers here, as you can see by their photos.:)
On Nov. 5 my husband and I lost our furkid "Snowy" :puppysmooze: he was 14.

Sound's like you're really organized for your surgery. Small world that your husband just went through it and now you. It's his turn to pamper you. 2014 will be a great year, think positive. :) You two will be dancing pain free in the future with your new knees. :)

My surgery date was because of a cancellation also. Originally it was going to be in Jan.
I won't be going to rehab. My OS said I'll go home after two days, if all goes well. The PT will come to my house then I'll go to outpatient PT. The hospital called me Sat. Oops...meant to post that on Sat. to the board here. The admission's nurse called me on Sat and told me about the pre surgery class they have at the hospital for TKR. They hold it on Fridays. My hospital is an hour away. I asked her a bunch of questions and she was helpful. They said they'd send the walker home with me. I have to get a frame for the toilet though. She's sending me a packet that they give the patients that come to the class.
If it wasn't for this board I'd be going to the class, but I've learned such a huge amount of information from all the people here that have been through it.
I'm one of the lucky ones...I've only had pain for a year. My knee has been STIFF since around 2006 whenever I sit for even ten minutes.
I fell and the OS discovered bone on bone and no cartilage under my knee cap. After I fell in Oct then the pain was AWFUL. I've posted all this before.
There are so many people I'm in awe of on the board here that have endured pain for years before they had their surgery.
Everyone's recovery is different though, that's one of the things that I learned from the people here.

I'm in Washington State and my surgery time is 11:30, have to be at the hospital at 9:30.
What time is yours scheduled??
Looking forward to following you too and your recovery.
Best wishes, Paula
 
I'm going in for my left knee on this Friday (Dec 6th). Looking forward to it and a little bit nervous. Have had 3 knee surgeries before but this is my first replacement.
 
I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.​
​
Welcome to our latest and all December SuperNovas!​

[Bonesmart.org] 2013 December SuperNovas - Are you having knee surgery in December?
​
Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. However, please start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Knee Section to post comments and share your journey toward knee replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting​
​
02 December 13 @MNDeb, @amackness, @mariaw0121, @Kprune, @MNDeb​
03 December 13 @denpucc, @javillgrl, @wifiwildflower​
04 December 13 @carolyn1941#​
05 December 13 @marmrf​
06 December 13 @onthego,johnrork​
09 December 13 @I'm so ready, @Lmalm53 (father's bilateral), @Jozilla, @Wildcatmo, @I'm so ready (her second), mitzio (her second)​
10 December 13 @Ph$enix (her first), @Chihuahuan​
13 December 13 @Ogbournestandrew​
16 December 13 @Bassman, @B's Knees (bilateral), @bobbiek, @Minna-min (her second)​
17 December 13 @pdx, @Lovedogs, @GeekGoddess (her second) ​
18 December 13 @irish, @ema8447 (her second), @Kathysbeautybiz (her second), @fiftydollarbill,@Ziggysmom​
20 December 13 @czak57​
30 December 13 @justmerobin (her second)​
 
[Bonesmart.org] 2013 December SuperNovas - Are you having knee surgery in December?
@johnrork, you have been officially added to the December surgery list!

Please start a thread of your own in the proper forum. Here is the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

By starting your own thread, you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve. I look forward to seeing your first post.
 
Welcome to Bonesmart Johnrock :)
You'll find a lot of information on this site and VERY helpful, supportive people.
Wishing you a smooth surgery this Friday and a speedy recovery!! :)
 
Hi and your very welcome Ziggysmom :) OOooo Ziggy is your fur baby's name, so cute! :)
Is Ziggy a puppy:puppysmooze: or kitty.:kittykiss:
We have a lot of animal lovers here, as you can see by their photos.:)
On Nov. 5 my husband and I lost our furkid "Snowy" :puppysmooze: he was 14.

Sound's like you're really organized for your surgery. Small world that your husband just went through it and now you. It's his turn to pamper you. 2014 will be a great year, think positive. :) You two will be dancing pain free in the future with your new knees. :)

My surgery date was because of a cancellation also. Originally it was going to be in Jan.
I won't be going to rehab. My OS said I'll go home after two days, if all goes well. The PT will come to my house then I'll go to outpatient PT. The hospital called me Sat. Oops...meant to post that on Sat. to the board here. The admission's nurse called me on Sat and told me about the pre surgery class they have at the hospital for TKR. They hold it on Fridays. My hospital is an hour away. I asked her a bunch of questions and she was helpful. They said they'd send the walker home with me. I have to get a frame for the toilet though. She's sending me a packet that they give the patients that come to the class.
If it wasn't for this board I'd be going to the class, but I've learned such a huge amount of information from all the people here that have been through it.
I'm one of the lucky ones...I've only had pain for a year. My knee has been STIFF since around 2006 whenever I sit for even ten minutes.
I fell and the OS discovered bone on bone and no cartilage under my knee cap. After I fell in Oct then the pain was AWFUL. I've posted all this before.
There are so many people I'm in awe of on the board here that have endured pain for years before they had their surgery.
Everyone's recovery is different though, that's one of the things that I learned from the people here.

I'm in Washington State and my surgery time is 11:30, have to be at the hospital at 9:30.
What time is yours scheduled??
Looking forward to following you too and your recovery.
Best wishes, Paula

Hi Paula, I quoted the whole message because I haven't figured out how to properly navigate this forum yet.

Ziggy is a 5 year old Dachshund/Golden Retriever mix. Yes, you read that right! And, no, I don't know how that happened! I found him at in an animal shelter where he had been kept for over 2 months after he was found as a stray. I did a DNA test on him, because I knew he was not a purebred Dachshund, and he had so many Golden Retriever qualities. The test came back 50/50! You can see his photo as my avatar. He is the sweetest dog, with just the right amount of naughtiness....it's awful tough to get mad at him when he steals a slipper or shreds a $20 bill (he did that last week!), because he is so innocent and cute.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss of Snowy. I know how tough it is, as I have traveled that road too many times myself. But, despite that heartbreak we all know we eventually have to face, they give us so much during their short time with us, I think it's worth it!

As concerns this danged knee....I have to be at the hospital at 1:00 PM Eastern time (I live in central time near the edge of the zone line, so we are always making this distinction!). I'm told I will probably enter the operating room at 3:00 PM. That's pretty late in the day...guess I'm last in line! Thinking about it, I'd guess I will be running about 1/2 hour behind you. I live in Tenn., and will be having the surgery at University of Tenn. Medical Center in Knoxville. UT has an excellent joint replacement program. My surgeon not only teaches there, he has his own dedicated surgical team, so they know exactly what he wants. The hospital has a ward that has only joint replacement patients in it...all private rooms, and the nursing staff work only in that ward. There are no "sick" patients there, and the nurse to patient ratio is excellent, so the care is top notch. PT is located at the end of the hall, and the therapist comes to get you and walks with you down the hall. You have to be able to walk the entire 100 foot hallway before they will let you out of the hospital. Having seen them all in action with my husband, I feel very lucky to have found this surgeon, and am confident I will have a good experience (well, as good as you can have after a surgery like this!).

I have pretty much decided to come home rather than go to rehab. I just have to make sure I follow the doctor's instructions to the letter, because I probably will go home on Friday, and won't have any therapy until Monday. That's OK by me...from what I've read here, it seems we Americans are a bit over zealous with the PT.

My husband had bad knees when I married him 32 years ago...how he managed with that pain is beyond me! I had been having some discomfort on the inside of my knee for over a year, but I managed to do all the activities I wanted to do in spite of it. Last February, we spent 2 nights in Chattanooga with friends, walking all over the city. After two days of that, I could not walk 3 blocks to a local restaurant, I was in so much pain. That was the beginning of the downward spiral. I worked through that incident, then in April I really messed it up when I was walking on a golf course down a slope and my cart broke and the bag fell over. I twisted the knee, and probably tore the meniscus at that point. I was alone on the course, and had to carry my bag all the way back to the car, so I must have really mashed it up! I was up north at the time, so I limped around for a week, and saw an OS as soon as I got home. In June I had arthroscopic surgery, where he removed a good bit of the meniscus, and discovered the cartilage on the femur above was delaminating, so he "cleaned it up." Basically, he left me bone-on-bone, and his attempt to get my bone to form scar tissue did not work. I followed it up with Supartz injections, and that didn't work, either. So here we are....

My husband and I bought new hiking boots over a year ago, in anticipation of the day when we could go hiking together...it never occurred to either one of us that, as soon as he recovered from his surgery, my knee would give out! I hope my left knee doesn't get jealous and follow the right one, LOL!! I fully intend to be out on the trails in the spring!

It will be great to have you and others to "talk" to on this forum while we recover...those who are days and weeks ahead of us can encourage us and answer questions and we can provide support to those who come after us. This is so cool!
Have a great day...I've got to hobble off and get this knee over to the pool for it's morning exercise!
Carolyn
 
Hi Carolyn,
You did fine quoting then replying. I still haven't figured out how to "start a new thread" ...can't find the box that states that. It's here somewhere. For now I'll answer you on this thread. :) Sorry to the moderators. I'll try to get my thread going soon.

:puppysmooze: Your Ziggy is sooo cute! Golden Retrieve qualities are wonderful, I think :) Thank you for your kind words about my Snowy. I found him at the Humane Society in 2000. They had kept him there "over his time" and he was about to be euthanized. Needless to say he became my husband's and mine third furry kid.:) It's more then worth the heartbreak. The vet though he was a dward great pryanees. He had very short legs. Very cute. This Jan. we though we'd find out what he really is, was..sigh. Turns out he's part Samoyed and part husky.
Unconditional love!
We have his ashes, on our dresser in the bedroom next to our other two furkids, Ruffy and Einstein.
As I mentioned there are so many dogs and cat lovers on the board too :)
I know time heals...just wish I could fast forward!

Oh my gosh! You, like others here, have really had a painful time with your knee. That must have been awful being on the golf course all alone and carrying bags back!! Then the surgery to remove some of the meniscus... then injections. But thankfully you will soon be pain free and all of it will be behind you!! :)

It sounds like you have a very good OS! And the hospital sounds excellent!
If both of our surgery times are not delayed, your right....you'll be 1/2 hour after me.
My OS said the surgery takes an hour and a half. This site has a video of a TKR...it only took the surgeon an hour...but then his nurses did the closing, which is normal. I trust my OS, even though I've only met him once. He was very nice and answered all my questions and his nurse is great. My mind was on having to "let Snowy go" which happened four days later so I couldn't retain his answers.
The hospital I'm going to has a floor that's just for orthopedics also. There are only private rooms or one person per room which should be nice. It's Providence Colby Campus, Everett Wa.
I had my blood test this morning and EKG. Won't find out if the surgery is a "GO" until Tues. Sigh...I'm going to call the office on Monday to see if I "passed" the tests. We live an hour away and I can't see going all the way in for my pre ops visit if my OS says I need to go to my primary for more tests.

Thank goodness for this forum!! I go home on Thurs or Friday after surgery and after reading the advice from other's here....I WILL be my knees advocate and not let PT hurt me. Slow and steady. That's really eased my mind. Hopefully the site will help you more and more too.:)
I'm going to ask my PT if they've heard of Bonesmart. If he or she hasn't...then I'll let them know nicely how I feel about " rushing things" Hopefully you and I will have nice PT's that aren't focused on "the numbers they can get with ROM" By what you typed about the hospital etc I don't think you have to worry

Think positive! You and your husband WILL be hiking and enjoying the outdoors this Spring!

I totally agree that others can encourage us and we can provide support to others, actually before and after our surgeries. I'm always going to be coming back to this forum.
I'm here for life. :)

Hope you had a good morning exercise in the pool. :) and that you have a restful night.

I'm going to try and figure out now how to post my own thread. :)

((((Hugs))) to little Ziggy :)
Best wishes, Paula
 
Dear BoneSmarties,

I hate to be an old stick in the mud, but I need for you to do your chatting in one anothers' threads.

This tread is set up to list surgery dates for the month so that you will know who your surgery buddies are; but it is not set up for doing a lot of commenting and questioning.

A lot of other BoneSmarties who are not having surgery this month will not come to this thread and will miss out on sharing the info here.

Thanks very much for your cooperation.
 
Hi bottomshollo,
I'm sorry. I tried to start a new thread before I posted my last post. I do realize that this thread is for surgery only.
Before I posted this last one, I sent administration an e-mail asking how to start the thread, because I looked at the sample screen but still could not find the "Post new thread" box. Josephine replied quickly to my e-mail, but I still do not see how to start a new thread.
I'm sorry, once again and will not post in this particular thread.
Best wishes, Paula
 
Lovedogs, go to the Knee Replacement Pre Op forum. Look below the blue line at top of page on the right had side. You will see a black rectangular box that says "Post New Thread". Click on that. You will get a box that wants you to give your thread a title. Type your title in, then scroll down to the dialogue box and type in your post. And, voila! you have started your own thread!
 
Wow!:happydance: Thank you very much Bottomshollow. I see it now. :) Very strange I didn't see it before. :) Thank you again! I'll start my own thread later today. What a relief. :)
 
Congrats and best wishes to mariaw0121 and all the supernovas!
It's over and I'm in rehab. I was surprised - dr. told my husband he didn't know how I was walking with that knee. Can you believe it - my CPM broke and the hospital had no replacements because they did too many surgeries! And they couldn't discharge me to rehab because you have to spend 3 nights for insurance to pay. Hopefully, everything will go more smooyhly now. Glad I only have 2 knees!!!!
 
Hi Bottomshollow...I've been rescheduled to Dec. 18th. Sorry about the posts on this thread...I'm still learning how to use this site. I'm going to start my own thread, now that I figured out how to do it.
 
Left total knee replacement Dec 9th. Had right knee replaced 7 months ago.
 
Hi Mitzio,
Wishing you a smooth surgery and recovery! :)
 
Wishing all December Nova's surgeries to go well and you all have speedy smooth recoveries.
Lmalm53, Jozilla, Wildcatmo Sure hope they get the roads cleaned and the weather gets better so we can make it to the Hospital for our surgeries on monday.
 
For all who are new to forums (or maybe just new to BoneSmart), we have a large list of forum "how to's" available! Mouse hover on the HELP & INFO tab at the top of the page and you'll see a drop down menu with a link on HOW TO USE THIS FORUM. You'll find many threads there that give instructions on how to do all the fun things BoneSmart offers to make your forum experience better.
 
surgery cancelled do thick ice and mess on freeways. nobody able to get out. Will have to reschedule.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom