20 long years...finally my turn!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @ACDCJen - I thought of you yesterday when I got into my car and T.N.T. came on. I flipped the top down and cranked up the stereo \m/

I hope you're doing well.

@LoveGiants
That's what I'm talkin' about!!!! Long live Bon Scott!!! :)

Jen

I'm more of a Zeppelin fan, but do have some ACDC on my workout iPod. But I'll crank it up when it comes on in my car. My husband calls me a teenager when it comes to music in the car :rotfl:.

I was fortunate to see Robert Plant in concert and thought I had died and gone to heaven. omg, so awesome.

@LoveGiants

So cool that you got to see your favorite in concert! I was only 3 when Bon died, but I did see AC/DC with Brian 4 times. Lost my hearing for 3 days after one of them! It was awesome! My other favorites are dead too, Freddie Mercury, Waylon Jennings, Patsy Cline, and Stevie Ray Vaughan. I always tell people that I was born a generation too late!

Jen

@ACDCJen - Musically, I was, too! I grew up in the 80s and do love 80s music (Journey posters wall papered my room!), but I *love* music from the late 60s–70s. Love your list of favs, wish I could see SRV. RIP.'

Well, I got all my pre-operative paperwork in the mail today. It's definitely hitting home now. Just a little over 12 days to go and I'm trying to keep myself occupied. Working on getting out of Das Boot, but I feel I'm so scared of hurting my ankle more that I don't want to not wear it, at least when I go out and do stuff. Spending some of the weekend with my boyfriend fishing and maybe going to Canada. Next weekend, we got a cabin for 2 nights at Kring Point State Park in the Thousand Islands, one of our favorites! Since I couldn't tent camp this year because of my ankle, we thought this would be a good way to end the summer, go camping at least once, and say goodbye to my old knee! I'm going to fish a lot, get a tan, and not think about how much I want to go kayaking, especially since we are right on the water! I also signed up for a workshop next Thursday for continuing education for my counseling license. Should be a good one too!

That's all for today. Feeling kind of yucky...hopefully tomorrow is better!!

Jen

Hi Jen, sorry you didn't feel so great yesterday. I hope today is better for you. I have had a couple of decent knee days, not too much pain, but I have done pretty much nothing but sit in my recliner since I have a cold and feel pretty yucky. I have to go grocery shopping today, which I really dread, because it always makes me hurt like crazy. Oh well, it is what it is, for now. Have a good day and enjoy your fishing trip.

Jen, thinking about you, those last couple weeks are horrible to get through. I had worked up to a fever pitch of anxiety. I know others have talked about how a calm settled once the decision was made and the day drew close, so maybe you can veer in that direction. I can assure you that afterwards, my first thought was, what was I so scared about? It will be ok, you will be ok, we are so lucky to have this choice available to us.
Audrey

Jen, I hope you are feeling better today...your mini vacation should be fun and a good distraction for a couple of days!!

Awww. You are all so sweet! I'm doing okay today. Had a busy weekend, which was nice. Have my pre-op stuff this week and next Monday and I can't wait to get that out of the way! Haven't had my protein shakes in two days, but my stomach is better. I haven't had that much dairy milk in 31 years, since my dad sold our farm and I couldn't drink raw milk anymore. I hate the taste and texture of store-bought milk. Since I've had my protein though, I mix it with some milk and some almond milk. Think that might be the culprit!

Hope you are all doing well too! I have a quilt to work on this week for a friend having surgery on 9/22 and I hope I can get it done! Happy Labor Day to those who celebrate it!

Jen

Had all but one pre-op appointment today and I feel like I've been put through the wringer! I just have Joint Camp on Thursday and then my medical clearance at the PCP on Monday. After all this running and prep, being in the hospital for surgery will seem like a piece of cake! I had all my questions answered by the PA today and he thought I might be ready to go home from the hospital on Monday from the Wednesday surgery! I told him that I was hoping for Friday, which is possible, IF I'm ready. So we'll see! Have a lot of prep work starting on Sunday that I'll be prepared for after my trip out of town this weekend. Starting to get very real!

Jen

At least you have lots of things to keep you busy with less time to sit and think about it.

@Ronsgirl
You aren't kidding! I had to wait 6 weeks for my ankle surgery in June and it was awful!!

Had a mild anxiety attack last night thinking about waking up in the recovery room. My last surgery was fine, but all of them before I woke up feeling so exhausted and terrified. But I had to keep my eyes open and stay awake so I could go home that same day. I can't adequately describe how horrible I feel at the time, but it is probably what I am most anxious about right now. Silly, right? I'm just hoping since it's an inpatient surgery, they will take me to my room and let me sleep as much as I want and wake up naturally. We'll see in 7 days. Yikes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jen, I can relate about the recovery, when I woke up from my meniscus surgery, I was shaking uncontrollably! I was freezing and it was really scary! I am hoping that doesn't happen again. I just want to wish you good luck and I see you're in East Bethany! many years ago I lived in Batavia! I travel around NY a lot so am familiar with your area. wishing You All the best.

I had my joint class tonight and my mom went with me since she'll be my main caretaker. I have done a lot of research and knew a lot of the stuff she talked about, but it was still very helpful to get the details about what will happen, especially in the hospital. Should be there for 3 days after surgery and then discharged home. I met the discharge planner and everything! It's weird to be on the other side of that since I used to plan discharges for my inpatient addiction clients all the time! Found out that I will be able to rest as needed and not "kept up," which was my biggest anxiety. Of course, I'm just hoping they will do the same anesthesia protocol as for my ankle surgery 3 months ago, and I'll be up and alert right after surgery! That would be great!

It's also started to dawn on me that this surgery is a big deal, well, a bigger deal that I already thought! I'm sure many of you are in the same boat as me...when you have many, many surgeries, it doesn't seem like as much of a big deal the more you have, at least for me anyway. However, 4 of my surgeries were outpatient, so I guess my frame of reference is skewed. Not sure if anyone else came to this same realization? I've never had pre-op testing and information as much as I have for this! The PA told me that the pain and recovery time are similar to the TTT I had years ago. I'm hoping that's somewhat true because if I could get through that, I can get through this for sure!

I have a good weekend planned at Kring Point, full of fishing, getting some sun, relaxing, and reading, hopefully 3-4 books. Wish I could kayak, but I guess I will just have to do some sightseeing and watching the big cargo ships on the St. Lawrence. I have my last pre-op medical clearance appointment on Monday and then it's really hunkering down and "nesting" to get ready for Wed. Can't believe it's almost here!

Hope everyone else is doing well with their stage of planning/waiting for surgery! We can do this!

@lene'

My surgery is in Batavia! It's at UMMC, which was known as Genesee Memorial. What a small world! If you don't mind my asking, where are you in NY State?

Jen

You will be fine, the first two week are the hardest and the pain can be bad until the right coctail of pain meds are figured out, you can get through this we all do.

Good luck with surgery next week!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm back safe and sound from our mini-vacation to the 1000 Islands. I so wanted to kayak, but I was good and there's always next year! Went to Canada for a bit and I generally just took it easy! Only read 3 books, but I hope to finish another one tonight, and about 100 during my recovery! And I'm so happy the Oakland Raiders won today!!

I have my medical clearance appointment tomorrow, and then 2 more wake-ups until the BIG day! It's getting very real! I start Celebrex and the Dyna-Hex tonight.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Jen

Glad you had a good time. Good luck on the reading the first few weeks of recovery, my first week I started to watch a movie on Netflix it took me three days to finish it, I kept falling sleep, hahaha

Hi Jen, I was so apprehensive, but thanks to this forum, knew pretty much what to expect every step of the way, and you'll end up thinking, well, that wasn't so bad after all. It's just such a relief to finally get past the operation and get started on the healing. I knew there was zero possibility for myself of sleep the night before, so aimed at a good sleep two nights before, and just a calm rest in bed the night before. Try to stay focused these next two days on whatever you are doing, and not letting your thoughts run amuck, deep breaths, awareness of the sun shining or the stars in the sky, of yourself and how strong and perfect you are in your world. We will be here for you!
Audrey

I am glad you enjoyed your weekend. I also have lots of books to read while I recuperate, but I also have Netflix as a backup plan just in case the books don't work. :heehee:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back