TKR 2 straight legs? Check!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Fernie, glad to see you made it to the shops. Did you buy yourself something nice?
I am still doing all of my exercises although I only generally do them once a day now rather than three times. That will change when I go back to work. I am seeing my Gp today to discuss that. I am expecting to go back in two weeks too. I will need to see occupational health to discuss whether I will have a phased return. I normally work a full day on a Monday and Tuesday, some Wednesday afternoons ( but as I have been off I will need to do every Wednesday afternoon for a while to catch up) and all day Thursday.
I haven't managed to go swimming again, hope to fit in a few more swims before I go back to work.
I am having a few restful days now to let my knee recover and settle after all my rushing around as it was mega stiff and swollen yesterday.
It was worth it!
Happy Friday,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :happydance: :egypdance:
 
Good ol' Occy Health! :yes!:

[Bonesmart.org] 2 straight legs? Check!
 
This all sounds good fluttery fairy , enjoy the rest of your time off. I seem to be dashing about now but need to get a plan in place so I have some me time. Part time is good, I'd struggle to do full time any time soon!

I should be swimming now but will go Tuesday now, need to really rest after yesterday's excursions and also need to potter indoors as hv stuff to tidy and sort out. Fx
 
Hi Fernie
Hope your weekend went well & was pleasant & restful.
Kept the invisible plane parked up for a while & grab some "me time!" Its the most precious commodity going!!
My lovely adorable son took me to see Star Trek Into Darkness last week, I've been floating ever since! If I were any more a geek I'd have the 3D specs spot welded to my forehead!! :rotfl: :heehee: :whistle:
Now I have a deadline for returning to work, I'm beginning to stress about it! :yikes: :shocked: :scary:
Have a smashing week! Don't overdo it!!!
Hugs :puppysmooze: :happydance:
 
jetthugger what are you doing posting at 1am? goodness me!

glad you enjoyed the film, we are v overdue a cinema visit.

you'll be cool returning to work, although the first week will probably wipe you out for a bit. You are doing amazingly well though so may well breeze through it. This will be my official first full hour week since my op and I'm doing OK but will pace myself and watch the lunchbreaks!

my weekend was v busy as we attempted a bbq in the rain and had a couple of families over. At one point on sat morning i told my hubby that my knee was really screaming and I may not be able to get through the day as it would involve much cooking and standing up and his response was to take some of my stronger painkillers and dig deep! :yikes: :cry: :hairpulling: Bless. :umm:

hope you havea good week as well, looks like TF has blagged some more time before she goes back - good for her I say! Wish i could have done that! :-)

take care, see you in Zodiac probably mid week:heehee: hugs Fernie x
 
Hi jetthugger glad it was a good film, I fancy going to see it. I haven't ventured to the cinema yet.
I am outraged :heehee: Fernie at your use of the word ' blagged' :wink: what can you mean? :what:
I had planned to go back a week before but with one thing and another it has ended up being the 4th as my Pre op assessment is on the 3rd and I didn't fancy saying I will start back today but I need the morning off for a hospital appointment!
I will probably take leave on 18th for my other appointment as I don't want to push my luck too much.
If I had gone to the doctors last week I would have been going back on Monday but after a bad week I was in no rush.
Thankfully things are settling again and I am planning to be cautious.
I think your husband needs to have a TKR.
I am looking forward to returning now although initially it will be a nightmare dealing with accumulated stuff. I will have to remind myself that I can't clear e-mails, letters etc all on the first day.
It is a thought going back to the world of work jetthugger. I agree with you about me time, we need to try hard to hold on to some of that fingers crossed. I find work squeezes out everything but I know that is my own fault. I am an i's dotted and t's crossed girl at work and like everything done properly but there is always more than can be done in the time available. I will need to be strong!
I will try to keep work to work days once I go back.
Good luck with your first week back to your usual hours Fernie try to find a sliver of me time in there somewhere between being mum, wife and Wonder Woman.
Hugs Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :egypdance:
 
Hi TF - your reply did make me laugh :rotfl: ! You are right about going back one day and then a pre-op for the next TKR the following day - that really wouldnt go down well at all! My boss knew i had knee problems and had previous ops but I didnt hit him with a fulll TKR and 10 weeks off until i had my dates in place, seriously though I wish my 'blagging' skills had been more finely tuned at the time as I couldve done with an extra couple of weeks but just wanted to get on with things plus i was feeling the pressure being out of the office for so long. You are doing the right thing about going back and need to pace yourself, its surprising that the slightest thing can really make the Knee King not happy :bow: . I found my early days back to be 'really' hard and i was shocked and upset about that as I throught i'd be ok....:boohoo: but I was just a wreck by the time i got home.

At the weekend I was trying to think when I could schedule in some time just to sit and put my feet up and watch mindless TV (sky box is getting very full!) or anticipating knitting or crochet (its the thought that counts after all :rotfl: ) and I couldnt. I was getting use to having days at home on my own with peace and quiet and I'm really, really missing that as my days off now I'm busy with house/shopping and just stuff - there is always something that needs to be done.

I wasnt too happy with hubbys Take More Pills And Carry On attitude but short of cancelling these long term plans, didnt have a great deal of choice. :sigh:

Please dont let work squeeze everything out. You've had a while off now to prioritise your health and time again, i know its hard but try and just rock up, work as well as you can to get the job done in the given hours, and then bimble off home again. Believe me, you will not be thanked for any extra hours and right now your knee will not be forgiving plus you've got your other knee creating as well!

Thanks my dear Toothfairy - the whole Wonder woman thing is wearing a bit thin now and i realise i've not been trailing blazing much for you or jetthugger much lately... sorry about that. will try and think of some gems for you to hold onto as you return to work!

Keep smiling guys - you are doing a truly marvellous job. big hugs
Fernie x :egypdance: :cheers: :martini: :happydance: :yay:
 
Hi Fernie, mmmm late night = come off the tramadol. Bit of cold turkey so feeling quite funky at the mo. Gort is bearing up well & I'm feeling more sore than painful most of the time.B :groan:
Up the meds? Grin & bear it? I agree!!! !Hubby's? - Bless....lt has so many different meanings doesn't it?
Bless...... :shocked:
How long did you do shorter hours for? would 2 weeks @ 5 hours a day seem appropriate you thnk?
Take care, keep up the WW forging - look forward to you sailing through the saloon doors of zodiac!
Hugs :puppysmooze:
 
Dear jetthugger don't know whether to :heehee: Or :boohoo:! My tramadol cold turkey last year put me off them for life, thought my body was overrun with ants, lots of hallucinations, dreadful bizzo. Shame as darn good pain killers, I digress......

Glad Gort the shiny etc etc is doing so well. Knee king here is being miserable today, not sure why, been v sore and ouchy since about 3. Of course I've had no chance to rest til now so it's not happy :yikes: Sometimes I really wonder why I put myself through this.

Anyway my return to office schedule. Idid a bit of homework ing as usual, but really not much!
Week 1 - 1 half day, about 4 ish hours :whistle:
Week 2 - 2 half days, about 5 ish hours :shocked: With a bit of :what:
Week 3 - 3 halfdays, again 5ish hours , def more :yikes: Forming
Week 4 - had awful bug so managed 2 half ish day, about 6 each :thumb:
Week 5 - blessed with a bank holiday :yes!: Got in 2 pretty much full days, well 7 hours.
This week I'm attempting my full 2.5 days plus my usual 5 hours home working, which is split across my 2 days off, so not too taxing.

So week 1 of 5 x 5 hours? Hmmmm see how you go, I woud have been frazzled by tues. what sort of commute do you have? I drop my daughter, 5 min drive then take to class, 10ish min drive to work, park up, then 5 min to office. Believe me it's the getting there which is hardest. Struggling with teleporting!

My top trailing blazing tip, under no circumstances agree to leave office for lunch for first few days, unless it is next door to your building. Take this tip from someone who learnt the v hard way!

Fernie x
 
Well, i've made it to Wenesday or should that be Wednesday already?

knee v sore again today at 14 weeks and I'm not happy at all - feel like i've been whinging a lot on here lately but I feel that i'm at a stale-mate with it. Still cant get zero straightening again - looks like that was a one off wonder back in the early days. I'm thinking perhaps my leg isnt quite straight enough to achieve this. My PT has been making small noises about it not being as straight as she first thought (allowing for early swelling). I dont know what is going on but I really thought I'd be feeling better by now.

So, Spring has still not sprung and its really quite cold and v windy here today.

Seeing PT on Tuesday and will have a good chat with her - even though i know she is hoping to discharge me, which i do not feel ready for at the moment. She is my only medical point of contact since OS signed me off at 6 weeks. However, I may see if she feels i need to see him again or if i'm just being wussy as its early (technically) in TKR recovery terms. hhmmm.. Shall see what the day brings. Will keep my wanderings at lunch time to a minimum I think.

I do hope everyone is having a cheery week and keeping their spirits (alcholic of course :rotfl: !) up. :martini:

hugs and sunny smilies Fernie x
 
Hi Fernie, poor you.
Chatting with your physio is a really good plan.
You are not whinging at all. You are sharing your concerns with supportive friends who are happy to listen.
Do you think it could be aggravated due to lack of time to rest? I appreciate that this is not something you can easily change as you have so much going on. Hopefully the physio can give you some good advice.
I hope it settles for you soon. Rest as much as you can my busy friend.
Happy Wednesday to you, sending hugs and flowers your way,
Toothfairy x :console2: :bicycle2: :flwrysmile:
 
I'm not sure TF what's going really. I just feel that i should have made more progress by now. I know i've had a busy few days but the aching and lack of straightening is really bothering me. I got in the car at school to drive to work and nearly cried with frustration and i've not felt like that for ages and ages. The whole, mega long recovery and not being able to do things properly is once again, dawning on me. My diary is starting to get busy again as it was so empty for 2 months and i genuinely believed i'd be OK to do stuff, not running about and walking miles, but certainly seeing people and bimbling about a bit more. Some days I'm up at 6.30 and not really sitting downt to elevate and ice until gone 8pm, which i know is far from ideal.

Thanks for your kind words my floaty fairy friend :angel:

you sound like you are getting there now you've had a few days rest and ease up on the housework :rotfl: (join the club - isnt it never ending, i swear I tidy up, leave the room then daughter chucks pillows and toys everywhere again, its exhausting!)

I'll get in about 6 tonight then staying home and will try and rest up a bit. Was hoping to cut back on the last half dozen paracetamol but thats not looking too likely at the moment.

Hope you have a good day! Fx
 
Hi Fernie,
It all sounds a bit miserable for you.
I hope the physio can make some helpful suggestions. I hope today was better for you.
I am having a bit of a blip with the healthy eating thing at the moment. It was my birthday last week and I had some meals out and chocolates etc and I also got a couple of lovely recipe books for cakes and breads. I have made some bread and cake and well, it would be rude not to eat some!
I really must get myself back on track. A well, tomorrow is a new day.
I did tackle some cleaning this morning as I just couldn't stand it any longer. Downstairs is now clean and shiny.
I then spent the afternoon resting and knitting in the sunshine. I was quite warm this afternoon.
I am planning to spend some quality time with my sewing machine tomorrow.
Can't believe it's nearly Friday again, those weeks roll round so quickly.
Have a good Friday my Fernie Friend, hope your knee behaves for you, hugs, Toothfairy x :dancy: :SUNsmile:
 
Hi Fernie, just been catching up on your thread. I can't imagine being on the go from 6.30 to 8pm! :yikes:
I am back at work Friday for 5 hours. We shall see.....
If I could offer any words of wisdom that could help, it would only be this.... Patience! This recovery is loooooong! I've allowed myself 12 months which seems to be the bonesmart gauge for full recovery (in ideal circumstances, I hasten to add!) :shocked: so, rather than saying "it's been over two months now, I should be feeling ok" I say "I've got ten months left before I will feel normal again" that way my perspective changes & I'm ok that I gimp up if I push Gort (which I've been doing much too much lately!!! Gort has pushed back - big time!!)
You are doing marvellously well my Fernie friend, despite permanent residence & holding a platinum membership of zodiac! :whistle: :cheers: :heehee:
It really is hard for us girls to prioritise ourselves, but that is what you need to do, at least until February 2014!!
Big hugs and a warm greeting to my knittingly fairy friend Toothfairy I hope that you're doing splendidly well & all that housework isn't upsetting the knee king!!!!
Warm hugs :puppysmooze: :friends:
 
Thank you my lovely, lovely ladies - where would I be without you guys? in fact everyone on here with their words of wisdom and encouragement.
I was given my boss the 12 month schpiel yesterday, just to remind him again of course, and it just sucks :cry:. So the reality is that i'm 14 out of 52 weeks, give or take.:boohoo::yikes: :cry: hhmmm... nuff said.

My knee is just not happy at the moment. Cannot wait to have a chat with physio on Tues and see what she recommends. Hubby getting really waaaaaaaaaaaaay bored with it all now and has a slightly resentful look in his eye as i crash on the sofa each night and talk about going to bed at 9.30 sometimes as I'm wiped out.

Still today, after school run i popped to local supermarket and did a decent shop and now resting up until 3pm. am out tonight, 10 min walk, lots of pasta and red wine, then 10 mins walk home again. Shouldnt be too bad.

TF - Diet has been really shocking. i was doing OK until my sicky bug 2 weeks ago then weight went wildly down then wildly back up again. despite being on some kind of carb craving nightmare, it seems to have settled down a bit. 12 weeks til my hols so serious salad time.

Have realised that i absolutly need the next 10 months or so for knee to properly heal and to get this weight off again, no point trying to rush anything as it just wont work.

Happy Birthday for last week by the way, hope you had a lovely day - you are deffo allowed to eat cake on your bithday :flwrysmile:

Big hugs and hope you all have a fabulous Crunchie Day - Love Fernie xx

jetthugger Toothfairy
 
Hello Fernie friend Fernie and Alison jetthugger
I am well thank you.
Glad to hear that you are having some resting time Fernie after doing the shopping.
Enjoy your evening out. Sounds good.
I like Alison's approach of a 12 month recovery. I think that is an excellent way to manage expectations. If I am having a bit of a grump
( would I?) my husband reminds me of that message. It is true, when you stop and think of what happened to our poor legs 11/14/x weeks ago its amazing that we are walking about at all.
Are you off somewhere nice on holiday Fernie? Maybe the solution is not to worry about the weight and just buy a few holiday clothes that are comfy and you feel good in. While you are exhausted and your knee is causing you grief is not an ideal time to be weight watching.
I had a wonderful birthday, it was the day I met my new Grandaughter so things don't get much better than that.
My knee has had a grumble today after my over exertions yesterday but its not too bad.
Have a good weekend,
Hugs Toothfairy x :puppysmooze: :egypdance: :SUNsmile:
 
I feel your pain, Fernie. It is distressing to not be farther along. Remember that word that keeps coming up - PATIENCE. I keep hearing that 6 months is a milestone in this process, and, then the end is 12 months. That means 9 more months. I know everyone is different, but, we need to have a goal. Hang in there. Whine away if you need to.
 
Hi TF , glad all well, this knee king likes to keep us on our toes !

Great advice, buy few (cheap) holiday bits to get me through couple weeks, really Wont need much, always overpack, also mindful of not getting any sun on scar so no shorts above knee this year. I'm always so hard on myself with weight and it's gets me nowhere but miserable. Bought a fab black maxi dress and wore it last night dressed up with lots of chunky silver jewellry, looked really glam and I felt good for a change. Great evening with the girls. :)

The twelve month approach is the only way I guess.

Hope u had good day, ttfn take care fx
 
I feel your pain, Fernie. It is distressing to not be farther along. Remember that word that keeps coming up - PATIENCE. I keep hearing that 6 months is a milestone in this process, and, then the end is 12 months. That means 9 more months. I know everyone is different, but, we need to have a goal.

Hi nu nee, yes a goal sounds good and can be broken down. I'm sure I'll feel a lot better in another 10 weeks or so. :thumb: Thx. Fernie
 
Wow, Glam Fernie. That is the way to go. :yay: :cheers2:
Glad you had a good night out and felt good. You really deserve it.
Be good to yourself, life is tough enough at the moment without being hard on yourself.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend,
Hugs Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :egypdance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom