TKR 2 straight legs? Check!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Fernie! Hope you get a decent nights sleep tonight!! I'm clean out of toothfairys pixie dust, but I'm sure she an spare some!! :snork: Mmmmm, that recipe sounds lovely! I want to be able to stand in the kitchen & bake away, I'm a couple of weeks off that just yet, shop bought buns for me!! :sorry: Steer clear of the overdid it club! Not a nice place!! Best wishes :friends:
 
I think it is time to up those meds my Fernie friend, hopefully that will let you get a decent nights sleep.
Time to sit back and relax, you need to stay out of that overdid I it club.
My buns have been postponed along with my walk for the moment as I started to feel very tired. Maybe overdid it on the bike this morning, 1.5 km. I have lowered the seat one notch as it is getting uncomfortable now I am on it longer. Not sure if I will manage rotations with the seat lower but if not I will work at it.
Having a rest and hope I feel up to my walk later.
If not tomorrow is another day.
Take it easy and enjoy as much chilling time as you can manage.
Happy Nearly Easter
TF x :egypdance: :SUNsmile: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi ladies, hmmm well, despite my good intentions, it's 3.30 and I'm only just elevating and icing :whistle: Not long been back home and was at the door of previously menTioned OverDidIt club, but think I managed to drag myself back in the nick of time......:cry:

Think my ice pack has got hole in it, if it gets frozen in odd position I bash it on the work surface to break the ice, hmmm maybe I've bashed a bit too much lately as now have wet joggers and knee :boohoo: :sigh: This is ridiculous.

Alison, if I recall, the pixie dust was duff and recalled from distribution. :what:. Yes I hope I get some sleep tonight, tis all going a bit wrong :sad:....... I think your stepper thing sounds fun and should really get those quads in good form ready to join bike team. Baking and crocheting, what a domestic goddess you are :angel: :heehee:

So fairy friend, 1.5k is a fair start, think its about 3k k needed for le tour. still, we have time to perfect this and train. You may not find seat so bad a bit lower, I think it's better when at the right height.

Well, now ice pack is well and truly going into retirement, looks like I'll have to dig out frozen veg before the OverDidIt Crew drag me back kicking and screaming :yikes: :yikes:.

Hope you are having a more restful day :) Fx

jetthugger
 
Hi Fernie
no need to stress you are probably right about different type of healing at different times all wrapped up in our increased self belief that we can do a little more...the ride is a long one...they keep telling us that...and I guess the realization only comes when our knee gives us the signal that it's not happy. :groan: :gaah: Sleepless nights :mcoffee: well we don't like them at all do we...I had one night before last every two hours I reckon...I was awake...and very quickly I reverted too oh dear...can I handle this and yesterday I was soo tired.So like you I took it easy just some stretches and a swim. :console2:

I went out to lunch with some dear friends and honestly it was lovely but after two hours I just needed to go home, however it was another hour and a half before I made I back in the door and collapsed on my bed. I was exhausted and my husband said I was soundly asleep within 5minutes...slept for an hour then felt dopey through most of the rest of the afternoon.
okay so i know it's just after 3am and I'm down here chatting to you but I had the best sleep when I went to bed last night...and sometimes I think maybe it's the quality of sleep we have that makes a difference, so I hope soon you get some of that quality back into your sleep pattern. :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

No visitors with us for the Easter break so they'll be no egg hunts in the back garden...just some special times with friends and family. I hoping to be able to take our grandsons to a 'kids holiday' movie when we go down to see them in a few weeks time...one of the little outings we try and do during school holidays. It's great fun with the little ones and we get to eat popcorn and share the laughter together. :rotfl: :snork: :wink:

Don't overdo the bike training...lot of effort goes into getting that knee around...you'll be okay...you know resting as much as possible is the key to our recovery being a good one.

hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi gami Lots of wise words from you as usual. Really, it all boils down to one thing, or rather a serious lack of it. :sigh: :sigh: :shrug:. Most of us claim that we'll dig deep and find this elusive thing known commonly as patience, but where do we usually end up? That's right, in the OverDidIt club, again. :sad: :gaah: :hairpulling: . I understand they are always getting many, many new members.

So, we elevate and ice, promise ourselves that we will rip up that membership card for once and for all, because we really don't like going there. :yikes:

Then, what do we do? We say yes to a spot of lunch ( coz we're ladies of course :wink:) and en route we stop off at the store, on the way home, having left way later than intended, we run another errand, or 2. When we eventually get back home, what do we find winking at us on the door Mat? You've guessed it, a free membership back into the.... Wait for it..... OverDIdIt Club.

Ground hog day.

I'm not home over the long weekend, I can feel that membership card turning platinum as I type ! So, not much biking for me.

I wish you a lovely, lovely Easter weekend. Fx :flwrysmile:
 
[Bonesmart.org] 2 straight legs? Check!
Oh, Fernie, it do believe you have hit the nail squarely on its head!!! I don't think there's one of us---hippie or kneesie---that doesn't have a membership to the OverDidIt Club. And we do exercise that membership far too often----and pay dearly each time. But somehow we just can't control that urge to rush out and be "normal".


I'm looking forward to a report on how you use your membership card over the holiday weekend.
 
Hi judy, thx for the Easter wishes! :thankyou:

I promise I will try and limit my time in the club that no one wants to b seen in, over the weekend :whistle: :rotfl:

I hope you have a lovely Easter as well. Fernie :flwrysmile:

bottomshollow
 
Morning TF, how are?

Im glad I've got into posting, I'm finding it quite therapeutic and I love the banter between our BoneSmarties friends. At school my favourite subject was always English, particularly creative writing and Shakespeare of course!

Well just one more week til I'm back at my desk, I'm sure there will be much more on this over the next few days :heehee:.

Woke up today with v swollen knee, which is Unusual, also my ankle aches. Bobbed downstairs and could barely get back up again, v painful.

Had reasonable sleep, considering. Must have been the v large glass of wine before bed :martini: :whistle: :shrug::heehee:.

Had tea and hot cross bun (shop bought :whistle:) in bed for brekkie and meds. Just waiting for them to kick before I attempt to get up again.

Im finding my scar is getting quite irritated by trousers and the quilt, guess its just the healing stage.

Ive cut up my OverDidIt membership and hope another card doesn't find it's way to me, for today at least.

Glorious spring morning albeit v cold still. It's lovely to see the sunshine :SUNsmile: :yay: :SUNsmile: :tada: :SUNsmile: :spin: :SUNsmile:

Hope your Hotties turn out yummy, oh baker extraordinaire :wink:.

Hugs Fernie x
 
Good afternoon my Fernie friend, I started a reply to you earlier but have lost it. Oops.

I am well thank you, very happy today, I have started a batch of hot cross buns which are rising nicely and made a batch of fruity easter biscuits. Yum Yum.
Wish I could pass them round as there are plenty.

Wine, of course, a perfect solution to the sleep problem, why did we not think of that sooner? :cheers2: :sleep:

Sorry to hear your leg is so sore. I wonder what is causing that ? Are you still using your crutch at all or is it totally gone?
Maybe you need to go back to basics for a few days and up your pain meds, ice and elevate as much as you can. I know that will be difficult as you have a hectic schedule but you don't want to be going back to work in lots of pain. :gaah:
When do you see your physio, hopefully he/she will advise.

Maybe your scar is irritating because you are healing and getting more feeling back. Would a dressing help?
My knee is still fairly numb, not totally but enough to avoid irritation. I am also slouching around in soft joggers. I must try my regular trousers and see how they are.

Refuse all special offers to that Overdidit club, I hear they use all sorts of ploys to drag members in.

Well report back on the buns later, might post a photo but it depends if they are presentable enough. Gami's gami looked so professional that the bar is set very high. :heehee:

Hope you are having a happy day, hugs coming your way,
Toothfairy x :egypdance: :dancy:
 
Hiya, well, I'm shot. Totally tired and not really done that much. Finally home withice pack on knee and trying to snooze. Hubby officially stopped all sympathy and even though I'm whining about pain etc he is not budging and I'm having to run round an sort out little one, I'm just not happy :tantrum:

Tomorrow we drive 3 hours to inlaws! This will not be good weekend. Usually I escape shopping pretty soon after arrival, but I'll be wiped after drive, I will do some as get travel sick when passenger, so stuck in :tantrum:.

Right now I want to sleep.

Ive always had faith in my OS, however lately I've heard stories of his butchery on a couple of patients and that he can be slapdash in surgery. I also know he is not my Physios favourite surgeon - they always have a fav. I'm just hoping my knee is still healing and nothing bad is going on, am probs just paranoid as bit fed up with everything :headbang:

Stopped using crutch over week Ago TF, but will take it tomorrow.

i hope your cooking went well and u hv had a good day.

Hugs, Fernie x
 
Oh my poor Fernie,
You do need a big hug.
Firstly your other half...... :hairpulling: :hissy: :gaah:
I am on my way with my husband bashing crutch to give him a good whack. :skep:
He is totally out of order.

I know it is difficult but try to limit yourself to the absolute essentials and leave anything else undone. You need to rest so let some things go for a few days. The sky will not fall.

How long will you have to be at your in laws for?

Can you sit back while you are there or are you expected to pitch in and help out ? Are you likely to get any sympathy and looking after from them?
If they ask how you are please be honest about how tired and sore you are feeling. Don't be polite and say you are fine.

Painkillers, are you taking as many as you can?

Your progress,
you have been doing well. I think it is likely to be a combination of things.
Firstly you have been doing too much, secondly you have been doing even more.
Thirdly you slipped on the stairs and wrenched your knee a bit, fourthly you are feeling stressed and tired and anxious about going back to work and on top of all that you are officially still in the EARLY stages of recovery after MAJOR surgery.

I don't think you are paranoid, I think you are tired, in pain, stressed, worried and feeling unsupported.
We understand and we are here for you.sending you a huge hug,
I hope you sleep well my Fernie chum, drink wine and eat chocolate.
Tomorrow is a new day, lets hope it seems a bit brighter but if not please come here and let it all out.
We care,
Toothfairy xxxxx :flwrysmile: :console2: :sleep:
 
Good morning friendly Fernie,
I hope the sun is shining in your life today. With a bit of luck you will have slept well and feel a whole lot brighter today.
I am sending you a hand to hold today and a big basket of smiles and hugs to brighten your day
Take care, we care,
Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :egypdance: :yes!: :friends:
 
Hi Fernie, I totally agree with Toothfairy! Hope the in-laws look after you & give you a good spoiling & pamper. Make the trip worthwhile!! Sending big hugs & best Easter wishes! :puppysmooze: :friends:
 
Hi dear Fernie...holding you close in my heart over the next few challenging days...praying it will not be as negative as you are projecting...and that the love and support of those you love will see you smiling again soon.

Hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Happy Easter Fernie Friend,
Thinking about you, no rush to reply, just when you have time later in the week,
Big hugs,
Toothfairy x :spin: :dancy: :SUNsmile:
 
Hello to all of you, hope you had a good Easter weekend, I think we have about 12 egg left and that after serious chocolate consumption for the last week, lookslike diet will have to be delayed. :heehee:.

Weekend was ok, in laws aren't really the caring kind..... There is tons i could say, but i wont. Still, I didn't do much and that was main thing. I did drive part way home though, 100 miles and that gave me lifetime membership to OverDidIt club. :cry:.

Am taKing extra meds during the day. Knee is still not great and I'm hoping it will ease over the next week before I go back to work.

Im off out again so will catch up later. Hugs, Fernie. X
 
Hi Fernie, glad you had some time not doing too much. Sounds like you are back to busy busy busy.
I hope your knee will settle. I am glad you have upped your meds, hope it is helping.
Hang on in there,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :happydance:
 
Hi TF, yeah, I'm ok, think Kim is in the dull drums a bit a well, all getting v boring now....... livinginfl

I am fairly busy this week but Its school hols and hubby at work so tis to be expected. Still, I will try and pace myself. NOt had chance I bike since fri, Will try tomorrow. I've been working hard on the straightening though,not sure it's having much effect but I can feel muscles trying, they just seem to get stuck. Also finding it hard to ice and elevate as much, although elevating now :happydance:. I'm hoping to feel a lot better by 1st may, be about 12, 13 weeks then. Am getting sharp pains, quite strong, around and under the new joint, hoping its just nerves waking up, serving as good reminder for my meds :heehee:.

Its still quite tough at 8 weeks out. It's not practical to sit about all day and I have to get on with stuff, although I'm leaving unessential house work. quick flit round supermarket with hubby earlier was hard and I didn't carry or push anything and it was a very small shop compared to what id usually buy, Will be getting delivery again next week!

Upping meds means constipation again, not nice, feeling like I can't catch a break right now.

Anyway enough of this, tomorrow is another day :flwrysmile: Hugs. Fernie x
 
Fernie,

Getting ready for some serious resting, of course my ice is along with me, as I move along the house, my ice follows.

Sorry to hear about the in-laws, all different types of people in the world, or maybe they just do not understand, we all have family stories. My sister-in-law thought on the 18th of March, one month after my surgery that they would come to visit with my nieces, the twins are 13 and the oldest is 16 and that I would be up and ready to visit and go out to the river while they canoe?? I was told don't worry you will not have to do anything. Well, it did not happen and afterward I had to laugh about it because of the meds I was taking and how would I get down to the water, :gaah: oh well.

I think we should quit paying our dues to the OverDidIt Club, then we would not be able to visit :-)

Yes, the meds have good and bad points but I hope this new pain with your knee will calm itself some, I know it has to be hard for resting.

So much stuff to do. I did not get my ham cooked yesterday due to the way the knee was acting, so I might try in the next few days. Housework, I must say has been near zero but it will still be waiting. My husband did help with wash yesterday because the piles were really doing some growing.

I am tired now and I hope Fernie that tomorrow is a better day for you and don't be hanging out at the Club :cheers:
Take good care of yourself and a big hug for your kindness
 
Good morning Fernie and Kim,
You both seem to have hit a bit of a low point. This recovery seems to go in stages. Reading other people's posts it seems quite common to hit a bump at the stage you lovely ladies are at.
I expect it is because with most surgeries you would expect to be just about fully recovered at the 6 week mark and pretty much getting back to normal.
TKR is special and unfortunately takes longer. I know it seems like a lifetime since your surgery but in TKR terms you are still in early days.
Hang on in there, you are both doing really well. Think about how far you have come since the day of the op and all that you have achieved since then.
You just need to stick to the mantra as much as life will allow and accept that it is going to be a bit longer still before you are able to get on with your life without thinking of your knee.
Take it as easy as you possibly can otherwise your knee will rebel and cause you grief.
Fernie, could you see your doctor about trying a different pain med that wouldn't cause you so many problems with constipation? Ay chance you could delay your return to work a bit longer?
Sending you both hugs, it is not easy but you are both superstars and are doing brilliantly, it is just sometimes hard to see that when you are in the middle of the long haul.
You are getting there.
Have a great day, Toothfairy x :kittykiss: :puppysmooze:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom